Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking to have satellite radio, need help

Albert193500

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals,

I have a tradesman level 1 and am looking to acquire a 5 inch radio from a truck with satellite radio to confirm it is possible to just swap the head unit and activate my account. I checked on the sister site with the smaller trucks and they say it can be done with no problem. Even swapping to the 8.4 is plug and play.

Does anyone have a 5 inch they don't want and would like to donate or sell cheap? I will also need the security code of the radio it comes from.

Thank you

Picture for attention...
Screenshot_20190311-172206_letgo.jpgScreenshot_20190311-172206_letgo.jpg

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
There was a rather long thread over on the 1500 Board about swapping out a Non-Nav for a NAV unit...there is more than just the head unit and if I recall, some needed parts were not available for purchase... and then you'd still have to find a dealer to flash the computer to accept the NAV unit.

I'll see if I can find that thread for you so you can get an idea of the work involved...

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I understand, however the thread talks about the difficulty obtaining the needed parts to include the NAV option... it isn't as simple as just popping in the new unit.
Granted I haven't looked at that thread since I got rid of my 1500, but they were having problems obtaining the needed parts as they were not for sale to the general public. and then there was the issue of getting a dealer to flash the computer to accept the NAV system so it will work.

If nothing else it would be a good overview of some of the challenges ahead of you.

AndyS

Reaction score
Apparently easy as pie according to infotainment.com
A bit pricey but I really miss my nav I had in my 11 1500 so I might bite the bullet and buy this one.

steve49

Reaction score

Albert193500,​

It might be much cheaper to just get a Sirius-XM portable control head and mag antenna, then just plug it into the auxiliary port on your radio. I currently use a much older Delphi SkyFi2 XM radio head unit, and use it in the house, in the toyhauler trailer, and in my Polaris sxs. Once the free XM subscription is up on my 19 2500, I'll probably install this setup in this truck like I did my Ram 1500, rather than pay for another subscription!. Here's a shot of it in the Polaris side x side.

XM small.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread