Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Load Range 'D' vs 'E' Tires

dmk9

Reaction score
So after a year of ownership I finally have the itch to lift my truck and get bigger tires. I was kind of hoping to keep the truck stock, but we all know how that goes ;).

I have been doing a lot of research lately, but am struggling to get a definitive answer to one question. What is everyone's opinion of running load range 'D' tires on these trucks? I have a 2020 2500 crew cab Hemi. I will be getting 37x12.50 tires, on a 17" or 18" wheel (depending on tire selection).

I really don't tow anything - just my boat twice per year. And hauling - it's just dump runs and camping gear, nothing major or very heavy.

I know that plenty of load range 'D' tires have a higher max load than some 'E' range tires, it varies from model to model and from size to size. I found some old threads (~10 years old) where people say they would not run 'D' tires on a 3/4 ton truck due to the thinner sidewall/lower max air pressure. Some people say they can feel the truck handle more poorly, and have experienced blow outs on the sidewalls. Others say they are too squishy for trucks this size. I haven't found many recent statements specifically about this question.

Looking at some of the CJC Offroad build videos, I know they put load range 'D' tires on at least some of the trucks (you can determine this based on the tire and size). I am going to email them today asking for their opinion on the matter. Chris at Thuren said he wouldn't run 'D' range tires on these trucks.

I am leaning towards an 'E' range tire right now, but if I went with 'D' range there are more options.

The specific tires that I am looking at are:
  • Nitto Ridge Grappler - 7x12.50R18LT | Service Description: 128Q | Load Range: E | Max Load: 3970 (am currently planning on going with this)
  • Toyo Open Country M/T - 37X12.50R17LT | Service Description: 124Q | Load Range: D | Max Load: 3525
  • Cooper Discoverer STT Pro - 37X12.50R17LT | Service Description: 124Q | Load Range: D | Max Load: 3525

Thanks for your help!

jadmt

Reaction score
heck the Power wagon comes with D rated tires. a D rated 37 will give you over 7000lbs per axle capacity.

Bozo

Self-banned
Reaction score
I went with E, gives me some “cushion” on weight carrying capability. After owning a motor home that was an F53 chassis, at 20k with 16” tires and very little safety margin, I prefer an E tire, of the appropriate size, to achieve a higher safety margin. Each situation is different, but those are my thoughts, which are not worth much, given the value of our currency lately.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
How tall are you lifting and how wide are you going with your wheels?

If you're going really tall and/or not widening your stance, the stiffer sidewalls will help you feel more planted when running around unloaded or not coupled to a trailer.

dmk9

Reaction score
How tall are you lifting and how wide are you going with your wheels?

If you're going really tall and/or not widening your stance, the stiffer sidewalls will help you feel more planted when running around unloaded or not coupled to a trailer.
I'm planning doing doing the Carli 3" Back Country lift. Wheels are going to be in the +18 to +27 range

gimmie11s

Reaction score
heck the Power wagon comes with D rated tires. a D rated 37 will give you over 7000lbs per axle capacity.

This.

Buy the Ds and save some cash vs. E if the Ds have enough load capacity to outpace your axle, what's the point of buying an E?

And given how lightly you use the truck, D is obvious choice in your situation IMO.

AZ Jo Jo

Reaction score
Dmk9,
what you need to remember is that the vehicle manufacturer has rated your vehicle to carry a certain amount of weight safely and they look to the tire manufacturer to supply them with the correct tire for that amount of weight. If your placard states for example that the rear axle gvw is 6600 lbs then you will need to find a tire that will handle 3300 lbs, with two on the axle that gives you 6600lbs. So if going to a D load range rated tire gives you that carrying capacity that is stated on the placard then you are good to go. Any respectable tire shop will make sure that whatever tire they installed meets the placard capacities to cover them selves.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I like to run Ds but I seldom tow and if I do it is usually just my Jeep. The 37" varietal is my tire of choice LOL. Every set of them has exceeded my axle capacity by a large margin. My trucks see a lot of dirt and I like the way the Ds ride when I air down. I haven't experienced many flats with them. Knock on wood.... You can find more E rated tires in the 18" flavor. 17" is more limited.

All the tires on your list are good. The second tire on your list, the Toyo MT, has probably been the most common tire used on the Rams coming out of CJC and other shops installing Carli and Thuren systems over the last 10 years. The Nitto RGs have been hugely popular the last 4-5 years. They are a Hybrid tire and not an MT though. If you want to stick to 17s, the Toyo MT 37 x 13.50 x 17 is a fantastic E-rated tire. FWIW - I have heard Toyos are on national backorder again.

Heck, I had an offroad set of BFG Bajas that were only C rated. They were fun tires in the desert. They were also marked race only and not DOT certified.

diesel_driver_3500

Reaction score
On my 2004 3500 4x4, when I switched to "D" rated tires, I really felt the sidewall flex and the cornering feel was noticeably mushy. When my new 2021 arrives, I will stick with "E" rated tires as long as possible. Sometimes the big tire itch overtakes the logical side of me! I should note that I was running the factory Michelin tires on the '04. Went through 2 sets of those before going to an off-road tire on Power Wagon wheels.

Buzzb

Reaction score
I'm running 37x13.5r18's Toyo Rt's in "D" range. I run the front at max PSI at 50 and rear at 45. Rides great. It doesn't feel squishy in turns for me. I ordered the D's by mistake and was super worried about it and the guys at CJC said I won't have a problem at all. They have been right. Each tire is rated at 3525 pounds.

Users who are viewing this thread