Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let's talk accessories

orlando bull

Reaction score
So... When you finally get your truck, what are you adding?

I'm torn between bakflip mx4 or revolver x4

Will get some good floor mats.

Maybe some ramps so we can take the golf cart on camping trips.

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
I have an Access Vanish tonneau cover coming for mine. I've had one on the last 3 out of 4 trucks and loved it. Being vinyl, it does not offer the security of others, but it is dry and keeps items out of sight. It is easy to install, easy to operate, fits well, and relatively inexpensive....good combination.

I had the factory tri fold on one of my trucks and did not like it. When it was folded flat, you lost about 1/3 of the bed area for tall items. If folded up vertical behind the back window, you could not see much in the rearview mirror. It just did not work for me.

orlando bull

Reaction score
You’ve probably seen this, but just in case you haven’t; https://www.etrailer.com/Tonneau-Covers/BAK-Industries/BAK79331.html#/

Now for my question... why not go with the OEM cover?

I haven't really looked at the Mopar branded cover. I think the factory one is the vinyl top? But, Mopar sells their own branded version of the Bakflip if I recall. No real reason not to go that route other than it limits where I can buy it. I think the bakflip can be had for a pretty good deal if you call and negotiate with some of the online retailers. I did see the rebate. I signed up for them to email to me, but, I suspect if the revolver is this month's deal, at some point the mx4 will get a rebate as well. Could be wrong though. Some of the reviews on the revolver are not that great, so, I am hesitant on that one even though I like the design.

I have an Access Vanish tonneau cover coming for mine. I've had one on the last 3 out of 4 trucks and loved it. Being vinyl, it does not offer the security of others, but it is dry and keeps items out of sight. It is easy to install, easy to operate, fits well, and relatively inexpensive....good combination.

I had the factory tri fold on one of my trucks and did not like it. When it was folded flat, you lost about 1/3 of the bed area for tall items. If folded up vertical behind the back window, you could not see much in the rearview mirror. It just did not work for me.

I'll look at that one. I like the security of the hard covers. My truck is going to be our family vehicle as it will be a bit easier with the little ones than the wife's SUV. I'll have to keep a stroller and an assortment of random things back there since the back seat area is generally going to be full. So, I want to make sure that it's all secure if we're out and about. I agree that the tri-folds take up space and block your view. I usually won't have to ride with it up, but, it is a pain when you do. Had a bakflip on my previous Ram 1500.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I usually go for utilitarian add-ons...

No ramboxs so I can use a topper
All weather floor mats
Bed Rug
Some kind of cargo tie down for the bed would be nice.

orlando bull

Reaction score
What are best choices for ramboxes?

Tonneau? I have liked my Bakflip products on previous trucks and my dad has had a couple as well. He works out of his truck and is in and out of it regularly with no issues. They have an option for rambox as well. There are several options though from different manufacturers.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
What's your favorite topper Gondul? I know nothing about them, so curious as to which brands are considered the highest quality.

The two big ones are LEER and ARE, there is SNUGTOP and Century(?) but I don't think they are in Florida... I had and ARE Z Series on my old Dakota and never had an issue. Between the two I prefer ARE for the nice clean looking rear glass, hinges and struts are bonded to the interior and they use a nice robust hinge for the rear glass door.

LEER uses mechanical attachments through the glass so you have these plastic plugs sticking through the window and I'm not a fan of the hinges they use on the glass door either... for something in constant use, they are rather tiny.

As with anything else, when it arrives check it for any issues and any fitment problems before driving off the dealer lot.

This video is short and not too bad.
A.R.E., Leer & SnugTop Truck Cap Comparison

bobohio

Reaction score
I think I'm going to order the MX4 Bakflip for my new truck....best price I have found is on Autoanything.com...I have the G2 on my truck now...the only issue I have with it is the fiber panels fade pretty bad in the Arizona sun which is why I'm upgrading to the aluminum panels on the MX4...they aren't supposed to fade as bad

orlando bull

Reaction score
I think I'm going to order the MX4 Bakflip for my new truck....best price I have found is on Autoanything.com...I have the G2 on my truck now...the only issue I have with it is the fiber panels fade pretty bad in the Arizona sun which is why I'm upgrading to the aluminum panels on the MX4...they aren't supposed to fade as bad

I have read on other forums that truckalterations.com is the place to get it. Call them. They can usually cut some deals over the phone that they can't do if you just order online.

I'm holding off a bit, hoping for a mail in rebate next month. They have a $75 rebate on the revolver x4 now.

bobohio

Reaction score
Thanks! I will check it out..Autoanything is guaranteed lowest price...so if it's cheaper somewhere else I'll let them know

orlando bull

Reaction score
Thanks! I will check it out..Autoanything is guaranteed lowest price...so if it's cheaper somewhere else I'll let them know

Keep me posted on what you find out. I'll probably order when my truck gets built and is actually on a train heading out of Mexico.

bobohio

Reaction score
I just checked it out and prices are the same on the MX4, but checked out some nerf bars and they don't have the ones I want....but I already have my cart loaded at Autoanything, just waiting to actually order until I know my truck is on it's way as well....but Autoanything will also do better than their listed prices if you chat with them

bobohio

Reaction score
Keep me posted on what you find out. I'll probably order when my truck gets built and is actually on a train heading out of Mexico.
I'm hoping my truck gets here sooner since it's in mexico and I live in arizona!!

orlando bull

Reaction score
bobohio - what price did you get on the mx4? I got a quote of $755.

I think I am leaning toward the truxedo sentry ct now though. That one is $745 with a $70 rebate.

Also have to probably get a bigger hitch drop on my WDH I use for my travel trailer, looks like it's amazon for that.

Debating between B&W tow and stow vs some other drop hitch for boat and miscellaneous trailers. Anyone have an opinion on the B&W? It's crazy expensive, so, I'd love to be talked out of it!

Users who are viewing this thread