Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets see what you are towing!

dieselscout80

Reaction score
Had to accessorize the shoes on the truck and trailer… 6-8% grades and slick snow covered roads don’t lend themselves to a lot of traction at 18K GCW

View attachment 46799

GCVW is not a correct acronym.

The sticker in the door jam shows the GVWR, FAWR, and RAWR.

If you’re talking truck and trailer it’s GCW or GCWR. This rating isn’t printed on the truck anywhere.
My owners manual says only chains on the rear.

Have you had any problems with yours with chains on the front?

dieselscout80

Reaction score
I realized that afterward. Thanks.

I do have a question about chains on the front. Is that now ok to do? I honestly don’t know. The last time I put chains on the front of a 4WD I broke the axle, granted that was in mid 90s and it was a Ford. Haven’t done it since.
Back in the 70s and 80s living in Montana we always chained up all four tires.

My 90 Chevy k1500 4x4 was the first truck I had that said rear tires only and my 97 k3500 said rears only too.

Surgdoc4

Reaction score
Back in the 70s and 80s living in Montana we always chained up all four tires.

My 90 Chevy k1500 4x4 was the first truck I had that said rear tires only and my 97 k3500 said rears only too.
I too spent a lot of time around Bozeman and Big Sky in 70’s and 80’s so I understand why all 4 tires chained. Necessary risk. BTDT. I guess I am proof why they said rear only, but it did take a beating before breaking. It was a tricky 30 mile ride home weaving back and forth to keep axle from sliding out.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I too spent a lot of time around Bozeman and Big Sky in 70’s and 80’s so I understand why all 4 tires chained. Necessary risk. BTDT. I guess I am proof why they said rear only, but it did take a beating before breaking. It was a tricky 30 mile ride home weaving back and forth to keep axle from sliding out.

They say rear only for clearance, not axle strength. The DRW trucks state Front and Rear due to their smaller tires.

RLMandich

Reaction score
Awesome rig. initial impressions on the riverstone? 41 rd or 39 rkfb are on our short list.
We love it - Nothing major on the punchlist when we picked it up, and we really like the floor plan.

There is a ton of storage on the 419RD. Good wide pass through up front and a crazy amount under the rear den.

I’m 6’7”, and plenty of room front and back to stand, as well as the shower.

Clintock

Reaction score
51cd044c412270fa1390f218b977614f.jpg

Prolly ain’t legal but when the ox in the ditch you gotta get him out.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Thats the beauty of the CTD/Aisin combination, much more ability than rated. Its why I choose the CTD/Aisin for hauling my toys, at well under its capability, which means longevity.

Users who are viewing this thread