Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lets see what you are towing!

mkmsr

Reaction score
Grand Design Reflection 340RDS
cd67e5817cb9da29074b0a49eedbbc26.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

mkmsr

Reaction score
No complaints. 9 mpg as expected and slightly better than the mileage I got with my smaller travel trailer. I run at 68mph at 2200 rpm in 7th gear. It won't win any races going up hill but I'm not in and hurry when towing anyway. I also have the 4:10 rear so that helps a bit.

406Linetrash

Reaction score
According to the article the owner is a dumbass.

6500lb camper on a truck with 4100lb Payload?

“But I wasn’t overloaded”
I wish one of these mags would ask this dude to just explain how the hell he figures he wasn’t over loaded. This is crazy

whitexc

Reaction score
Grand Design Reflection 340RDS
cd67e5817cb9da29074b0a49eedbbc26.jpg

Nice rig. What hitch are you using? Any suspension mods or air bags on the truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mkmsr

Reaction score
Nice rig. What hitch are you using? Any suspension mods or air bags on the truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Using the new Curt Crosswing Hitch for gooseneck ball. I don't have any other fifth wheel experience but the hitch is super quiet and simple.

No mods or air bags, only larger tires. Being a Hemi and only Big Horn I have a 4006lb payload. Also that pic is when we picked up the trailer a couple weeks ago, so only generators and some tools in the truck and trailer. Might be some more squat once we hitch up with the trailer loaded. We are a bit nose high so a little more squat would help out. If I had known how nice a fifth wheel tows I would have made the transition from a bumper pull long ago.

rudyyoko

Reaction score
Using the new Curt Crosswing Hitch for gooseneck ball. I don't have any other fifth wheel experience but the hitch is super quiet and simple.

No mods or air bags, only larger tires. Being a Hemi and only Big Horn I have a 4006lb payload. Also that pic is when we picked up the trailer a couple weeks ago, so only generators and some tools in the truck and trailer. Might be some more squat once we hitch up with the trailer loaded. We are a bit nose high so a little more squat would help out. If I had known how nice a fifth wheel tows I would have made the transition from a bumper pull long ago.

I agree on the fifth wheel/ gooseneck towing better than a bumper pull. I bought my first 5th wheel in Oct 2022. I had been pulling bumper pull trailers since the 80s. I always needed the bed of the truck in those situations. With my fifth wheel, I needed the extra room in the trailer. I have a basic curt Q24k hitch. My fifth wheel is only 10.5k gvw and I towed it with my 22 ram 2500 cummins through the blue ridge mountains and you talk about towing nice, you aint kidding. I doubt I will ever tow a bumper pull, by choice, again. My truck has the rear air suspension with no coil springs. I did not want those at first but the truck had every other option that I wanted so I bought it. When I hook up my trailer, the truck auto levels and it ends up putting the truck to the original height when unloaded. Oh, and the suspension is very comfortable with or without a load.

Last edited:

jebruns

Reaction score
Well that’s pretty sweet. Sad that Airstream is the only one making aluminum trailers anymore.
There are others. ATC makes some nice ones, Aluma-lite is another.

Our first RV didn't have bumpouts. I'd never own another RV without them, now that I've had some with. Makes a huge difference in comfort and room. I don't really understand how Airstream maintains its premium pricing w/o them. I'm not anti-Airstream. My grandpa had one and owned an Airstream only campground in Florida. They are cool in their own way. But no bumpouts? No thanks.

jsalbre

Reaction score
There are others. ATC makes some nice ones, Aluma-lite is another.

Our first RV didn't have bumpouts. I'd never own another RV without them, now that I've had some with. Makes a huge difference in comfort and room. I don't really understand how Airstream maintains its premium pricing w/o them. I'm not anti-Airstream. My grandpa had one and owned an Airstream only campground in Florida. They are cool in their own way. But no bumpouts? No thanks.
Sorry, I meant the riveted “aircraft” style of trailer. Alumalite hasnt been around for a long time. Livin Lite was a recent brand of high quality aluminum RVs, but Thor bought them and then shut them down in 2018.

We lived in a 30’ Airstream for a year, and now have a 26’ Venture with slide outs (we’re living in a house again, the trailer is just for vacation). The Airstream was very nice, and built 100x better than our current trailer. Nothing was made of paper and staples, it was all solid wood and screws. The aerodynamics of it also made it much easier to tow and helped a lot with fuel economy. That said, there was very little storage space, and the extra space you get in a trailer with slide outs can’t be beat.

whitexc

Reaction score

Nice. Just getting into 5er life as well and looking forward to the ease of hook up and nice pull.

How do you have so much payload? My ‘21 BH CC Hemi NE says 2924 on the sticker. Can’t upload a pic for some reason.

I am adding bags for stability and to not get headlight flashes like we did with the TT, even though it towed great and sat level with the WD hitch.

Users who are viewing this thread