Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Let’s talk brakes!

Sarge33Army

Reaction score
@RamCares when should I expect someone to contact me? I realize I'm not the only one with issues, but it's been 3 days since you offered assistance and I haven't had any contact since then. I have sent PMs every day without response, so I'm trying to get you here.
I understand your frustration, but they may be off today due to the holiday. I hope that you have a reply early Tuesday. Best wishes!

Lary0071

Reaction score
I just recently went from a 2017 Ram Rebel 5.7L gasser to a 2019 Ram 2500 6.4L gasser and I also have the first push softness and if I release and re-apply I have a firmer and higher activating brake feel. My old Rebel brakes felt firm and solid on every push, never had a need to do the release and re-apply game that this one has. Honestly, my 2004 Grand Prix that I just did new calipers/rotors/pads on last fall has a much faster responding (higher in the stroke) and firmer feel than this 3/4 ton truck.

It has annoyed me, but I have not acted on it as I assumed it was something in the design of a larger and heavier brake system. But seeing this thread makes me wonder if the brakes on the 2500HD I bought are similarly effected by a component that is not performing as it should?

I have 1,400 miles on mine so far, but I have not towed yet. I do not expect to have my Coachmen camper out for at least a few months yet, and I'm not hauling the tractor for brush hogging in the winter.... so I have time to address this if we discover it can actually be effected with the replacing of some parts.

I will be waiting to see if anyone has success in getting rid of that double pump issue.

Riveyman

Reaction score
After reading this last week, I noticed this, this weekend.
Same thing that others are saying with the brake pedal softness.
My SIL drove on the way back and he thought it was soft too. I only have about 800 miles on the new truck.
Guess I'll keep an eye on this as well.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
@RamCares when should I expect someone to contact me? I realize I'm not the only one with issues, but it's been 3 days since you offered assistance and I haven't had any contact since then. I have sent PMs every day without response, so I'm trying to get you here.

Hi time2kyl,

I sincerely apologize for the delay, as @Sarge33Army is correct in that our team was off yesterday due to the holiday. Please know that I just had the chance to respond to your most recent message. Kindly take a moment to review that and follow up with me when you can.

Mark
RamCares

MobyDick

Reaction score
Pretty crazy that most of us are effected by the soft pedal situation. This is a issue that needs to be clarified whether or not it’s in the design or a faulty booster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
In all seriousness the brakes are THE most important system in a vehicle and tires are probably next. Both are often poorly designed and built. Disk brake on the rear of a vehicle driven in salt and gravel fail quickly. The salt seizes the caliper sliders and the pad sliders so either they don’t grab at all or stick on and cook themselves. Gravel gets jammed in the pads and turns the brake rotors into vinyl records.

UpInSm0kE

Reaction score
Following....... My 2019 2500 6.7 tradesman has the same squishy pedal as everyone else is describing.

DHaus

Reaction score
2019 Tradesman 6.4 Exact same pedal response. First time I noticed kinda threw me (Initial slightly squishy push was a similar feel to the Duramax I'd been driving for 12 years) but just assumed it was normal. Now concerned.

MobyDick

Reaction score
3900 miles have not noticed mushy brakes

Your the first! Talk with a neighbor down the street that has a big horn 6.4 and his also has a mushy pedal

Great White North Eh

Squish Cat - And So
Reaction score
Don’t want to be ‘’that guy’’ but did the squishy people bed their pads in when they first drove their new trucks?

Wileykid

Reaction score
My '19 3500 has the "mushy" brakes also. When I apply mine, from where the pedal starts applying brake pressure, there is about another couple of inches of "sponginess" where the brakes are not being applied in any linear fashion, then although soft, the pedal becomes more effective.

Rented a Toyota Corolla last week when I was traveling. Those brakes dang near put me through the windshield with just a tap.

j_t_l

Reaction score
I recently got a RAM 2500. It's been in the dealer lot more than it's been at my house -- but that's another issue....

The brakes feel like what might take 1" of travel on another vehicle would take 2" of travel on the RAM. It doesn't seem like an actual problem, just that I need to re-calibrate my foot. I have the pedals adjusted almost all the way back (away from the driver's seat) -- when standing on the brake pedal there seems to be sufficient space between the pedal and the floor, but definitely nothing more than sufficient.

So far, everything has been in the feel of the brakes. The actual performance has been great (so far).

time2kyl

Reaction score
Update, day 17, still no truck... Somebody needs to make a truck payment for me.

time2kyl

Reaction score
Has RamCares been of any help?
They had a rep contact me and reach out to the dealer. The dealer was able to find another booster from a dealer since it is still backordered from FCA. Not sure if they would have been able to divert one from the factory if the dealer hadn't found one.

MobyDick

Reaction score
Update, day 17, still no truck... Somebody needs to make a truck payment for me.

Absolutely ridiculous. Your right someone needs to be making a truck payment.

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
Your the first!.......

Well, this statement. is a real stretch. I had 19,000 miles on mine when I traded it and the brakes were fine....no issues. I know that this is little comfort to you with and your brake issue, but there are thousands and thousands of these trucks on the road with no issues.

I hope you get your brakes repaired and enjoy your truck for many years!

Users who are viewing this thread