Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Largest 18" Tire on Stock Set Up

Tater86

Reaction score
I did a search and my skills are either not good or it hasn't been asked yet :).

What is the largest size tire you are able to put on the stock suspension of a 2500 w/ off-road package without rubbing and, as the titled stated, not adding a lift or a level? I was looking at maybe getting the 285/75R18s on them. Would I be able to put them on?

dantex

Reaction score
I have the 285/75R18 Falken Wildpeak AT3W on the stock 18" tradesman wheels with no lift/level on a 2022 2500 w/ Off-road package.
I have not had any rubbing.
index.php

Edit to add, the spare is the same size, and it fits in the stock location, but it's also empty/flat, and super close to the rear trackbar. It doesn't look like it is rubbing, but I don't have a ton of crazy off-road testing to make sure it won't rub.
It's tricky to get up there, Discount Tire wouldn't even attempt it, they just said it's too big. I think I had to put it on the winch, then lift it up a bit, tilt the tire above the trackbar and push it forward to clear the hitch, then winch it up the rest of the way. I don't think any larger tire would fit up there, and another manufacturer of that size might not fit. Long term, I'll likely look at a swingout, or an in-bed mount for it, depending on what direction I take the canopy in.

Last edited:

Tater86

Reaction score
I have the 285/75R18 Falken Wildpeak AT3W on the stock 18" tradesman wheels with no lift/level on a 2022 2500 w/ Off-road package.
index.php

Edit to add, the spare is the same size, and it fits in the stock location, but it's also empty/flat, and super close to the rear trackbar. It doesn't look like it is rubbing, but I don't have a ton of crazy off-road testing to make sure it won't rub.
It's tricky to get up there, Discount Tire wouldn't even attempt it, they just said it's too big. I think I had to put it on the winch, then lift it up a bit, tilt the tire above the trackbar and push it forward to clear the hitch, then winch it up the rest of the way. I don't think any larger tire would fit up there, and another manufacturer of that size might not fit. Long term, I'll likely look at a swingout, or an in-bed mount for it, depending on what direction I take the canopy in.
Thanks for the information! That is what I was looking for! Nice color choice!!! I ordered the same on in a 2023 Laramie long bed. I think with going the long bed route, I may be able to get away with plenty of room up there for a spare. I've never had a long bed before so I'm not sure if that would give me more room or not.

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Thanks for the information! That is what I was looking for! Nice color choice!!! I ordered the same on in a 2023 Laramie long bed. I think with going the long bed route, I may be able to get away with plenty of room up there for a spare. I've never had a long bed before so I'm not sure if that would give me more room or not.
The longbed doesn't change anything in regards to room for a spare. You're still limited to a 35 underneath.

Tater86

Reaction score
The longbed doesn't change anything in regards to room for a spare. You're still limited to a 35 underneath.
Thanks! I decided I’m going with the Falkens in 295/70R18. They have the best read depth I have found in that size.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
285/75-18 is the tallest without rubbing as far as I know. It’s the tallest tire mentioned so far in this thread. Mine are about 1/2” shorter than the 37s on my wrangler and had no rubbing at stock height with the wheel specs in my sig

mycampbell

Reaction score
Got 295 70 18 Falken Wildpeaks on my stock Big Horn wheels, all is good, just the right amount of meat on the tire

44Dan44

Reaction score
Just for reference regarding Falcon Wildpeak A/T3W (or any tire) and "will it fit" The tire is just one piece of the puzzle. Using just size 18 in this example, you will note many differences. Which parameters are most important to you may drive your decision in conjunction with the wheel offset you've chosen. Highly recommend pounding the keyboard at https://tiresize.com/wheel-offset-calculator/ instead of depending on the guys at the tire shop or even recommendations here, unless you have all the data to compare properly i.e. lift vs stock, offset of the wheel you want to use, tire height, tire width.
1st photo Falken product lines in 18" and differences.
2nd photo A stock Ram wheel/tire/offset vs a Falken 285/75/18 on a -18 offset aftermarket wheel.
Image 3-15-23 at 10.56 AM.jpg

Image 3-15-23 at 11.11 AM.jpg

Tater86

Reaction score
Thanks 44Dan! I did put the 295's on mine and have had no issue at all. The problem is trying to find out what the stock wheel offset is and I was unsuccessful in determining that. I actual prefer to keep as much stock on the truck as possible so I have no plans on upgrading wheels to a different set up.

44Dan44

Reaction score
Thanks 44Dan! I did put the 295's on mine and have had no issue at all. The problem is trying to find out what the stock wheel offset is and I was unsuccessful in determining that. I actual prefer to keep as much stock on the truck as possible so I have no plans on upgrading wheels to a different set up.
Yep, the internet results aren't very helpful, most surefire way is the stamping on the back of the wheel. You should see a number that starts with ETxx or a J+xx this one being a positive offset 57
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
17x8 = +46mm
18x8 = +43mm
20x8 = +54mm

wensearam

Reaction score
index.php

Any pics from the front and rear just to see how the tires line up with sides....debating between these and the 295/70's....looks great from the side!!!

dantex

Reaction score
Any pics from the front and rear just to see how the tires line up with sides....debating between these and the 295/70's....looks great from the side!!!

I was towing recently and haven't let the air out, so these are around 50lbs front and back.

PXL_20230524_144410766.jpg

PXL_20230524_144415851.jpg

PXL_20230524_144436002.jpg

wensearam

Reaction score
Thanks, looks perfect on yours....as I have the factory 4x4 off-road mudguards might still be a bit too much into the wheel-well for me OR I really have to commit to a future wheel upgrade to +18 or less. I do like the idea of the 285/75's then again saving another $60 per tire with the 295/70's seems interesting as well ;) Thanks again for sharing, got some pondering to do here!!

dantex

Reaction score
Yeah, I forget which flaps I have, I think they are the Husky ones. I do still get a little bit of spray on the truck in the rain/snow/slush, so still need to figure out some flares. But, don't want to make them cause the tires to look to stuffed in.
I'm looking at the PW flares currently, but haven't seen how much they stick out/cover. The OEM flares seem thin, PW are likely a little larger, then the off-road flares are biggest I think. If the flares do make it look goofy, then I might consider the 295/70s, but for now I'm pretty happy with the 285/75 wildpeaks.

Users who are viewing this thread