Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Key Fob and 4x4 trouble

rangerdanger

Reaction score
I have to replace the batteries in my remote fob every 6-8 weeks. I have 2 and it happens with both of them. Is that normal?! I have never had this trouble on any other vehicle I have ever had. Also, sometimes the electronic 4x4 stops working. No lights, no function. It will start working again after a few starts. If its in 4x4, its stuck there untill it starts working again.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
The batteries in my fob have lasted over a year now. I will likely replace them soon though. The range I can remote start it from has decreased. I haven't had an issue with the 4x4 button.

rangerdanger

Reaction score
No remote start. Just lock/unlock and alarm. Every other remote I've had, the battery lasted years.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Strange. Is there any corrosion on the PCBA of the remote? Sounds like there is a short somewhere that is drawing down the battery power. Or maybe you have a bad batch of batteries.

Last edited:

rangerdanger

Reaction score
No corrosion that I can find. Batteries have come from grocery stores, batteries and bulbs, Home Depot etc. No correlation and, it happens with both OEM remotes.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
No corrosion that I can find. Batteries have come from grocery stores, batteries and bulbs, Home Depot etc. No correlation and, it happens with both OEM remotes.
Do you keep the remotes in the truck?

LateToTheParty

Didn't want to come
Reaction score
Have you tested any of the batteries that you've replaced to see if they're truly dead or whether the truck is misleading you?

The combination of that and the 4wd situation would lead me to think it is the truck and not the remote. Any chance your fuses aren't full seated? I know others have mentioned weird electrical anomalies from that.

rangerdanger

Reaction score
The remote is only in the truck when I am. I keep it in my pocket until this crap starts again, then I have to push the start button with the remote to start the truck until I replace the batteries again!

I have not tested the batteries I remove because when I do replace them, the problem goes away for 6-8 weeks. I'll check fuses but, the 4x4 problem happens whether the fob has good or bad batteries so, I'm thinking unrelated.

I've had the truck to the dealer 3 times for these problems. The first time for the fob they said " your battery in the fob was dead $75 please". The second time for the fob they said they "could not get the problem to happen for them so there must not be a problem". The third time was for the 4X4. Repeat answer 2

Reaction score
I just experienced the same 4 x 4 issue you're describing. I was up at my hunting camp and got stuck in 2wd and needed the 4wd. none of the lights were lit up, not even the 2wd light. Very odd. I was stuck and could not get the transfer case to do anything. I had to have a buddy with a Silverado pull me out. Once i was unstuck i turned the truck off and let it sit for 5 minutes while i cursed and had other hunting buddies talk trash on the Ram brand....then when i started it back up it worked fine. infuriating.

rangerdanger

Reaction score
Thats it exactly. Sometimes I have to restart the truck several times before the system comes back to life! Infuriating is an excellent description!

Eatonpcat

Reaction score
4x4 issue, do you by chance have the Banks Pedal Monster??

rangerdanger

Reaction score
I have the Banks pedal master on mine. Is there some kind of connection between them and the issue?

Edit: Now that I think about it, I had the issue before the pedal master.

Reaction score
I followed the advice in that other thread and switched my Pedal Monster to the "NO OBD" setting. Hopefully that does it.

Users who are viewing this thread