Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Just picked up my Power Wagon

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Here is my "old" 5th gen 1500 Laramie:
IMG_9539.jpg

Just picked this up over the weekend. Took off my front air dam and side steps. I don't like the way they look. Have a few things on order already, but the first big thing will be rock sliders and a transmission skid plate.
IMG_9927.jpg
IMG_9926.jpg

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
That answers my question on the 5thGen site.

Congrats. Great upgrade.

:cool:

Just placed an order for a engine and transmission skid plate. I was really hoping that the PW would offer factory protection there, but they left the whole area open just like the 1500s.
IMG_8006-e1517427007762.jpg

jadmt

Reaction score
I am ordering the same and was told 5 weeks out at least. (for the tranny skid).

jadmt

Reaction score
Just picked this up over the weekend. Took off my front air dam and side steps. I don't like the way they look. Have a few things on order already, but the first big thing will be rock sliders and a transmission skid plate.
View attachment 6814
View attachment 6815

I crawled under to remove the air dam on my new one but the synthetic winch rope is totally exposed under there that I decided to leave it on. Seems like Ram would have done a better job of shielding the rope from underneath.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
I crawled under to remove the air dam on my new one but the synthetic winch rope is totally exposed under there that I decided to leave it on. Seems like Ram would have done a better job of shielding the rope from underneath.

I don't think the air dam does much, if anything, to protect the winch. I would like someone to come out with a front skid plate that attaches to the winch mount and maybe goes to the front cross member.

jadmt

Reaction score
I don't think the air dam does much, if anything, to protect the winch. I would like someone to come out with a front skid plate that attaches to the winch mount and maybe goes to the front cross member.
It looks like it will help keep the slop and dirt etc from splashing up on the line. Won't do any hard protection but I have run synthetic rope for years and it needs to stay clean if you want it to last. I need to figure something out.

Distillusion

Reaction score
It looks like it will help keep the slop and dirt etc from splashing up on the line. Won't do any hard protection but I have run synthetic rope for years and it needs to stay clean if you want it to last. I need to figure something out.
Then there's that fairlead in the front winch plate that allows water, dirt, and road oil to be blown straight onto the drum and cable. No protection there at all while you're driving around at highway speeds in weather. Maybe some kind of cap would be good?

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score

A winch cover is probably your best bet if you’re that concerned about it. Dirt does more to damage to the line than water or moisture. I had one on my last truck as well. I would give my synthetic line/winch a good pressure wash at least once a month. I would spool out the line and do the same when I had time.

Like a steel line, it’s a wear and tear item that needs to be replaced periodically.

Users who are viewing this thread