Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jump to 2500?

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
So... I mentioned to the wife about getting a TT and seeing the sights; I know, ass-backwards, but here we are...

I have 19 Limited at the moment with 3.92 rear.

Payload on the truck is 1310.
GVWR on the TT is 7600
TW on the TT is 791

GCVW is 17000
Actual GCVW is 15200

Once I add passenger and the WD hitch, it doesn't leave much of anything for payload.
So while well within the towing capacity, payload is kinda short.

So I'm wondering if I wouldn't be better served moving to a 2500; the question then becomes how to do so without losing my shirt on the trade.

Thoughts/suggestions?

orlando bull

Reaction score
Did you already get the TT? YOu could try to find something a little lighter... what is the length?

I did the same... bought a 2016 F150 platinum. A year later we bought a TT (32', about 7000#). The F150 does OK, but, you certainly feel it if it's breezy. Do you have the air suspension? The unpopular opinion is that if I were you... I'd honestly try it for a little bit before making the jump. I currently have a 3500 on order. I just never felt comfortable in the F150. Get a good WDH, set it up right, and you may be OK. My F150 has better payload numbers, so, your mileage may vary. Make absolutely certain the trailer isn't nose high, that will be the biggest issue.

Run it for a bit, see how things go, then, make the decision.. Good luck. Let me know if you have any questions about the general setup. Seems like my trailer is very similar... trailer loading is important too... as counter-intuitive as it sounds, I like to keep the weight toward the front and on the tongue as much as possible while traveling.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Thanks @1HasBeen.

@orlando bull, thanks for the input... we went to small-ish RV show up in central Florida and the wife really liked the Airstreams that were there.... quick side trip to a dealer and she really likes the 27ft version, she may (or may not) be convinced to go down but that is highly unlikely. At that size they all seem to all have the same GVWR, though the TW does vary by a couple hundred pounds between models.

We are still a couple of years out from getting a TT, but if I'm going to trade in the 1500 I figured sooner (with lower miles) would be better than later with higher mileage.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
I seriously think your deciding factor has to be based more on your actual use of the truck.

We camp every weekend from April to October. I haul heavy things during the summer and I dont mind the unloaded ride of the 2500. I also like the overall look of the truck.

If you have a similar use schedule and opinion of the 2500, by all means consider just going to a 2500.

If your truck sees more daily driver use, only a few camping trips, no heavy hauling planned, by all means stay with the 1500.

There is a good bit of middle ground. The 1500 will tow the trailer you want, and the 2500 can make a decent daily driver.

Once you decide what the priorities are, then you can make a more informed decision.

As @orlando bull said, it is doable, and others at 5thGenRams are towing this type of trailer.

Yoadrian from the othersite is towing a similar trailer. If you haven't read his story, you should. He ordered a fully loaded truck, canceled the order got a lightly optioned truck and is happy as can be staying with the 1500.

Good luck. At least you aren't stuck with the decision and have time to explain all this to the wife.

D

Deleted member 80

I'd keep the 1500 until you have a clear path. You've already taken the biggest depreciation hit by just driving across the curb. Might as well get your use out of it. If you don't pack on ridiculous miles, and the truck is in excellent condition, you will do just as well from a use/residual perspective, by trading later, IMHO. Plus, you may end up going for the gusto, and jumping to a 3500. Why risk trading twice?

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
I will give the best advice I have heard...one more time.

Tow what you feel comfortable.

Last year in a thunderstorm...I wish I had a 4500, but i went slow, turned on the 4ways and enjoyed the lightning show...and prepared my self for the open spots and the wind.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
Thank @1HasBeen and @DevilDodge for your input... you both make very good points to consider.

I can't help but agree that I need to 'try it' first before I make a decision and I really don't need a 2500 as a DD.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score

Some interesting reading material

Stumblefoot

Reaction score
...wife really liked the Airstreams that were there.... quick side trip to a dealer and she really likes the 27ft version, she may (or may not) be convinced to go down but that is highly unlikely.
If she likes the Airstreams, take her to see the Reflection TT line from Grand Design. She’ll be blown away by the space and finishes, you’ll be floored with the build quality and fit, and you’ll both love the impact on your bank account. Oh, and I’ll promise, she’ll be ready for you to get a 2500 to safely tow it.

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
We towed a 20RD by Oudoors RV. They are noted to be built heavy and the reputation is well deserved.

As loaded for travel, it weighed about 6500# and had 1100# tongue weight. We pulled it with a 2018 Ram Rebel with a 5.7 and 3.92 gears.

The truck pulled it without sweat, there was no sway when passing semis, it was a 1 finger drive......very relaxed. But, the truck was 600# over the GVWR of the truck and the rear axle load was at the limit. Even a short trailer like that overloaded the truck.

As individuals, we all have to decide how we live our lives.....and be resposible for the consequences of our actions. So the bottom line is, if you might lay awake at night worrying about towing with an over weight truck, assuming yours might be, get a 2500 and sleepbetter. If the truck handles well and you aren't concerned about being heavy, keep the 1/2 ton. In the end only you can decide what's right for you, and live with the decision.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
If she likes the Airstreams, take her to see the Reflection TT line from Grand Design. She’ll be blown away by the space and finishes, you’ll be floored with the build quality and fit, and you’ll both love the impact on your bank account. Oh, and I’ll promise, she’ll be ready for you to get a 2500 to safely tow it.

Thanks for the info... we went to a smaller RV show on whim... she wasn't particularly fond of most of the TTs, but she did like the Airstream. I think there are a couple more shows coming up we will likely go visit.

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
We towed a 20RD by Oudoors RV. They are noted to be built heavy and the reputation is well deserved.

As loaded for travel, it weighed about 6500# and had 1100# tongue weight. We pulled it with a 2018 Ram Rebel with a 5.7 and 3.92 gears.

The truck pulled it without sweat, there was no sway when passing semis, it was a 1 finger drive......very relaxed. But, the truck was 600# over the GVWR of the truck and the rear axle load was at the limit. Even a short trailer like that overloaded the truck.

As individuals, we all have to decide how we live our lives.....and be resposible for the consequences of our actions. So the bottom line is, if you might lay awake at night worrying about towing with an over weight truck, assuming yours might be, get a 2500 and sleepbetter. If the truck handles well and you aren't concerned about being heavy, keep the 1/2 ton. In the end only you can decide what's right for you, and live with the decision.

Thanks for the information.
That's a conversation I'll have to have with the missus....

Jeffmc306

Reaction score
Gondul, when do you think you’ll make a decision? We went to the Airstream plant in Jackson Center last week to see our Globetrotter on the line. We drove the 19’ Ram 1500 to see how it was on the road. What a great truck! On the way home we drove straight through - 5.5 hrs without stopping and very comfortable.

Airstream said the trailer should arrive at the dealer in a few weeks. We’ll take it to the CAT scales and see how the axle weights are. From what others on the Airstream Forums have posted, the 19’ Ram 1500 tows just fine. Our salesperson said they’d buy back our truck if it’s over the axle weight rating; hoping it’s a keeper!

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
My 2019 Limited is simply an amazing ride... we drove to Wisconsin and back when we visited my son last year.
That being said, after running the numbers the wife decided she would rather us be in a 2500 rather than run the 1500 at/near it's maximum ratings and way over payload.
So I have an order in for a 2500 Limited (lightly optioned) which should have a rather decent payload (if it is anything similar to the Longhorn I posted).

The 1500 may indeed be fine depending on the size of the trailer... AS seems to use something between 13-14% to calculate tongue weight, I know some places say to use 10%, but I would think the manufacturer would know what they are doing when they calculate the hitch weight from the base weight.

I would recommend using the same numbers, don't forget the WD hitch takes away another 100# from payload, and you should load the trailer as if you were actually going out on a trip before bothering to hit the CAT scales.

I'm sure the dealer will buy it back... hope they give you a good deal if you do have to take it back!

Jeffmc306

Reaction score
Got a call from the Airstream dealer - our 27' Globetrotter came in Wednesday! They're having an open house event this weekend and won't have time to prep our trailer. We're driving up Saturday to check it out. I'll take my Sherline tongue scale to get an initial weight. Can't wait to get it home then to the CAT scales to see if our '19 Ram 1500 will pass the 4100# max rear axle rating.

Also, I just received an email from the guy on the AirForums who reached out to me in January - he's got a '19 Ram 1500 and a 27' Globetrotter. They now have over 15K miles towing including mountains and no problems with the set up. He acknowledged they're slightly over on payload but don't overdo it. Your mileage may vary!

*Been looking for a '19 Ram 2500 with the Safety and Towing packages under $70K and they're like Unicorns! No Big Horns even though you can configure it. One Laramie in Milwaukee for $64.5K Will decide once we have the CAT scale results...

Users who are viewing this thread