Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It finally arrived

Buppies

Reaction score
Fantastic looking truck I’m sure you will get many years of enjoyment

John Jensen

Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments. The more I drive it the more I like it. My 2016 1500 Ecoduesel is my daily driver. If this 3500 were not the 8' bed it could easily become my daily driver.

I ordered the 8" bed to get the 50 gal fuel tank and because it's my vacation trailer hauler. It replaced my 2006 Ford F350 crew cab 8' bed. I used to take the Ford through the car wash with ease. The Ram is 15" longer than the Ford and yesterday I took it to the car wash. What a pain! I had to make every turn a 3 point effort and the attendant making cars behind me back up so I could maneuver. My detailer will be happy to get my truck wash business back again.

I've heard reports that these new trucks have a secondary automatic at 35 mph drop-down dam. This Laramie does not have that and I'm glad about that. Not sure, maybe only the 1500s have it. Anyone know if any HDs have it?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the compliments. The more I drive it the more I like it. My 2016 1500 Ecoduesel is my daily driver. If this 3500 were not the 8' bed it could easily become my daily driver.

I ordered the 8" bed to get the 50 gal fuel tank and because it's my vacation trailer hauler. It replaced my 2006 Ford F350 crew cab 8' bed. I used to take the Ford through the car wash with ease. The Ram is 15" longer than the Ford and yesterday I took it to the car wash. What a pain! I had to make every turn a 3 point effort and the attendant making cars behind me back up so I could maneuver. My detailer will be happy to get my truck wash business back again.

I've heard reports that these new trucks have a secondary automatic at 35 mph drop-down dam. This Laramie does not have that and I'm glad about that. Not sure, maybe only the 1500s have it. Anyone know if any HDs have it?

In english please.

John Jensen

Reaction score
What is this? "secondary automatic at 35 mph drop-down dam "
I thought they were on the HDs but I am now thinking they are only on the 2019/2020 1500s.
It is a secondary air dam right behind the regular air dam. And at 35 or 38 MPH is drops down lower than the regular air dam.
Here's a video

Gondul

Prince of Pintops
Reaction score
I thought they were on the HDs but I am now thinking they are only on the 2019/2020 1500s.
It is a secondary air dam right behind the regular air dam. And at 35 or 38 MPH is drops down lower than the regular air dam.
Here's a video

Yep, that's only on the 1500's... also, no video linked. ;)

John Jensen

Reaction score
Thanks for confirming only the 1500s.
No video? Only becue this dummy forgot to ad it. here it is

1FastHemi

Reaction score
The Ram is 15" longer than the Ford and yesterday I took it to the car wash. What a pain! I had to make every turn a 3 point effort and the attendant making cars behind me back up so I could maneuver.

I take it you haven't done the Turning Radius Mod Yet?

It really makes a difference in tight places. If you do this, Just make sure you leave some clearance between the suspension and the back side of the Caliper. I now have just under .25 inches with NO tire rub. I did this on a DRW vehicle. Check your clearances before you cut, you can always cut more off but have to weld a bead or two to it if you cut to much off. BTW, there are 4 of these on the front suspension that have to be trimmed off to it to work.

Attachments

• Before Cut.jpg
    Before Cut.jpg
    383.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Before Mod.jpg
    Before Mod.jpg
    476.6 KB · Views: 46
  • Cut 1.jpg
    Cut 1.jpg
    462.2 KB · Views: 45
  • Cut 2.jpg
    Cut 2.jpg
    506.3 KB · Views: 45
  • Cut This Much Off.jpg
    Cut This Much Off.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 46
  • Primed and Painted after Cut 1.jpg
    Primed and Painted after Cut 1.jpg
    678.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Primed and Painted after Cut 2.jpg
    Primed and Painted after Cut 2.jpg
    495.7 KB · Views: 45
  • Turn with .25in clearance behind Caliper.jpg
    Turn with .25in clearance behind Caliper.jpg
    421 KB · Views: 45

IronByron

Reaction score
I take it you haven't done the Turning Radius Mod Yet?

It really makes a difference in tight places. If you do this, Just make sure you leave some clearance between the suspension and the back side of the Caliper. I now have just under .25 inches with NO tire rub. I did this on a DRW vehicle. Check your clearances before you cut, you can always cut more off but have to weld a bead or two to it if you cut to much off. BTW, there are 4 of these on the front suspension that have to be trimmed off to it to work.

So you have a noticeable improvement in turn radius after trimming down stops? I might have to research this.

John Jensen

Reaction score
1FastHemi,
Thanks for the reminder. I've heard of this mod but you have now put it on my list.
My son has a shop and is an excellent cutter as well as a welder. I'll get it on his dad's list too.
I appreciate your info as this truck needs some help at turning.

1FastHemi

Reaction score
So you have a noticeable improvement in turn radius after trimming down stops? I might have to research this.

Yes, I've always done this on all my LWB trucks for years now.

1FastHemi,
Thanks for the reminder. I've heard of this mod but you have now put it on my list.
My son has a shop and is an excellent cutter as well as a welder. I'll get it on his dad's list too.
I appreciate your info as this truck needs some help at turning.

Just remember, you may have to make the cuts several times to make sure you don't cut to much off as you don't want the back side of your brake caliper to bump anything as you could damage it over time. It really makes a difference.

Huskerz1

Reaction score
Yes, I've always done this on all my LWB trucks for years now.

Just remember, you may have to make the cuts several times to make sure you don't cut to much off as you don't want the back side of your brake caliper to bump anything as you could damage it over time. It really makes a difference.

Can you run an tire one or two sizes up with no rub?

1FastHemi

Reaction score
Can you run an tire one or two sizes up with no rub?

On my 06 Ram I ran 265-70-17 After I did the front end turning radius mod with no problem. I can't say for sure if the 255-80-17 will rub om my 2020 or not now that I have done the mod but, I believe it will be ok. I plan to upgrade to the 255-80-17 later in the year after we make our trip to Yellow Stone, Mount Rushmore, Washington and California to mention just a few of the places. Wife is taking 5 weeks off from work and we will be putting a bunch of miles on the truck and just wanted to get some use out of the OEM tires before I make the swap.

Users who are viewing this thread