Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is The Ram Heavy Duty A True Fifth-Generation Ram Pickup?

redriderbob

Co-Editor & Ram Guru!
Staff member
Reaction score
The Simple Answer Is NO!

PowerWagon-155-of-159-scaled.jpg

BULLSANDBUCKSHUNTER

Reaction score
Why would HDs be compared to light duty trucks? Generation should be compared apples to apples with a 2018 HD....

BULLSANDBUCKSHUNTER

Reaction score
Gen 4.5=Heavy Refresh
Understood and agree not tons of difference but there is differences. So what if they change the HDs little more but not a ton next year as covid has messed up plenty of plans. So minor changes but not enough to be new gen but different than the 2020 models you going to call it a 4.75 edition? My point is 18-19 parts changed on this truck and like it or not its a new generation, to use decimals is ridiculous....1,2,3,4,5 see trend. Then even worse compare it to a 1/2 ton is even more irrelevant not same class of trucks and yes they share some parts but so will the dakota, is it a 5th gen if it uses panels off a 5th gen 1/2ton, no because it compares to last model. Is there a chart or equation somewhere that i can compare models(within same class) to see if they are sufficient differances to meet the consumers opinion if vehicle should be classified as new generation?.. sorry guys for arguements and deffinately not trying to offend i just dont understand this reasoning

MikeXM

Reaction score
The Simple Answer Is NO!

View attachment 6229

Why do you think you are posting in a "4.5 gen" forum???
Sorry, but nothing new here.

MikeXM

Reaction score
Understood and agree not tons of difference but there is differences. So what if they change the HDs little more but not a ton next year as covid has messed up plenty of plans. So minor changes but not enough to be new gen but different than the 2020 models you going to call it a 4.75 edition? My point is 18-19 parts changed on this truck and like it or not its a new generation, to use decimals is ridiculous....1,2,3,4,5 see trend. Then even worse compare it to a 1/2 ton is even more irrelevant not same class of trucks and yes they share some parts but so will the dakota, is it a 5th gen if it uses panels off a 5th gen 1/2ton, no because it compares to last model. Is there a chart or equation somewhere that i can compare models(within same class) to see if they are sufficient differances to meet the consumers opinion if vehicle should be classified as new generation?.. sorry guys for arguements and deffinately not trying to offend i just dont understand this reasoning
Lol just imagine the confusion if the Dakota would be a 6th gen! :D

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

RAM has traditionally shared the design between the 1500 and 2500/3500 with the HD trucks lagging a year or two at most with their updates.

Manufacturers use mid model year designations often, my last Dodge Ram was a 2004.5 which designated the HO engine as now stock.

MikeXM

Reaction score
I think the co-editor and a founder of 5thGenRams/HDRams who wrote the article knows where he's posting.
Given the large title and emphasis, it didn't look that way.
I just didn't understand why this article, like after 2 years of the "new" HD. It would have made sense late 2018 or whenever the new HD were coming out for the first time.

Anyway, sorry if I offended anyone, not my intention.

D

Deleted member 80

When they go to the new cab.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
The reason for the article...they just had extended time with a Powerwagon.

There was a huge debate the one time about the differences.

They are explaining all of them.

At one time we had people losing their mind that the cab was the same and the bed the same.

Got their panties in a bunch that you couldn't tell they had a new truck if you looked at the doors and bedside.

It was ugly for awhile.

Also the reason this site was made

It made for alot of confusion when someone would go to the 5thGen site and ask about bed covers or floor mats.

I think too much is being implied by the take of this article.

From 72 to 93 dodge trucks looked exactly the same in 150 250 and 350.

94 the truck changed and until 2001 the 1500 2500 and 3500 was rhe same.

The first time they were different was in 2002. The 1500 was a 3rd Gen and the 2500/3500 was still a 2nd Gen.

Then from 2003 to 2008 the 1500 2500 and 3500 looked the same.

In 2009 the 1500 became a 4th Gen. And the 2009 2500/3500 were still a 3rd Gen.

In 2010 when the HD released is the first time the 1500 looked different than the 2500/3500. But they still used the same cab and bed.

So then 2019 was the first year for the 5th Gen.

But the HeavyDuty didnt change cabs and bed for 2019. And that is the point. They are almost the same...but different.

SJC5

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post on this forum as I just joined for this topic. Very long story short is I am planning on buying my first pickup truck and after months or research (yes months) I decided on the Ram 2500 over the 1500 for a better payload for potential towing (book smart but no real world experience with pickups) . What I haven been waiting on is to find out if the 2021 will be a carryover from 2020, the 4.5 gen or if FCA will redesign the 2021 2500 to more align to the 1500 style. I am not saying one is better than the other as that is purely a personal preference but for me I like the interior of the 1500 (plus the telescoping steering wheel) and was hoping to buy a 2500 that is a true 5th gen as I would keep it for a very long time. Does anyone know what is in store for the 2021? Will there be a redesign and if so major or minor? Is production moving to the US? There are no details out anywhere I have checked all the forums, YouTube channels, etc. every day :). I was hoping not to have to wait until 2022.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
You may be waiting awhile for the complete turnover. Still think they are debating the regular cab and what to do with the new cab that fits awkwardly between crew and mega.

Lots of features still missing on the HD...as we wait for it to make the complete switch...but it also gets somethings the 1500 didnt at first.

It ia a silly game they play.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
I hope when they debut the TRX they will also give us details about a true 5th gen HD. It would be hard for me to go from my 5th gen 1500 to the smaller cab in a Power Wagon and some of the leftover interior bits/tech from the 4th gen.

el_barto

Reaction score
It’s all semantics, but I will argue it’s a true “5th Gen”, though now distinctly different from the 1500. While there are many carryover parts from the 4th Gen to the new 5th gens, and the cab and bed are (mostly) the same as the 4th Gen; the frame is new, the suspension/axles (except Power Wagon) are different, the entire front clip is different, and the interior received a heavy redesign.
Ford had the same cab and frame from 1999-2016 which is undisputedly 3 different “generations” of the Super Duty

GeoffM

Reaction score
Had a 2002 3500 2nd Gen yet if you lookup 2002 Dodge ram it will show a 3rd Gen it pretty much has been like this since the 2nd Gen switch ( I believe in 3rd to 4th gen there was a year apart in LD's to HD's)

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Because a 2002 dodge ram 1500 is a 3rd gen.

A 2002 dodge ram 2500/3500 is a 2nd Gen.

Then 2009 1500 is a 4th Gen

A 2009 2500/3500 is a 3rd Gen

2010 HD is a 4th gen

If they would have changed the designation code for the HD I would say it is a new Gen. But it is still DJ while the 1500 went from DS to DT

Frank

Reaction score
I worked at a vehicle manufacturer for 10 years and was on the new product committee. You guys have my head spinning!

You can redesign a new gen, or refresh the current gen. What's the difference? How much tooling and capital can get reused. Changing the hood and front clip...not a redesign. Changing electronics? Not a redesign. When the 5th gen 1500 came out it diverged from the HD. The new HD is a refresh to prolong the market on most of the old tooling. It is still 4th gen, you could say 4.5 to denote the refresh.

Refreshes are still an expensive investment and rarely less than 3 years planned life. So 2022 at the earliest IMO. It could go longer if sales stay strong, taking cues from what FCA has done with the Wranglers to squeeze every drop of profit out.

dcwewetzer

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first post on this forum as I just joined for this topic. Very long story short is I am planning on buying my first pickup truck and after months or research (yes months) I decided on the Ram 2500 over the 1500 for a better payload for potential towing (book smart but no real world experience with pickups) . What I haven been waiting on is to find out if the 2021 will be a carryover from 2020, the 4.5 gen or if FCA will redesign the 2021 2500 to more align to the 1500 style. I am not saying one is better than the other as that is purely a personal preference but for me I like the interior of the 1500 (plus the telescoping steering wheel) and was hoping to buy a 2500 that is a true 5th gen as I would keep it for a very long time. Does anyone know what is in store for the 2021? Will there be a redesign and if so major or minor? Is production moving to the US? There are no details out anywhere I have checked all the forums, YouTube channels, etc. every day :). I was hoping not to have to wait until 2022.
Just ordered my 2021 2500 Mega. It’s not a new design

Users who are viewing this thread