Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it Really that Bad?

glbtrekker

Reaction score
Hi all, new here. I'm look for my first new tow vehicle in several years (I'll be buying new). Currently, I'm towing a #9k TT that's about 34' long and I'm towing it with a 2013 Chevy Express 3500 with the 6.0 and 3.42 gears. I don't tow often (4-5 times a year), but when I do it's typically a 1,300 mile round trip on I-75. The 6.0 Chevy does just okay, but it doesn't have much power to merge and is constantly downshifting and running 3,500+ rpm on anything other than a minor grade (which gets incredibly annoying inside the van). So now I'm looking for a 3500 CCLB for my next tow rig. I've always wanted a diesel, but have been turned away due to all the horror stories about major issues and crazy expensive repair bills.

So...honest question, are modern diesels that bad? If it's properly maintained, and not generally abused, are they reliable? Or, should I be considering a gasser? I like to have plenty of reserve for future upgrades, but don't want to break the bank with constant repairs.

Here's the curve ball. I live less than 1 mile from my office which I travel to 5-6 times per week and I drive around 11k miles a year total. I do make longer trips of say ~100 miles roundtrip about once every week or so. Should I run away from a diesel?

Thanks everyone, not trying to start a debate, just trying to figure out if it's that bad, or just trucks being abused/neglected.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
The cummins diesel pulls like a freight train. It doesn’t have any inherent problems but it will have more expensive maintenance than a gas truck.

The 6.4L Hemi with the 8 speed will pull so so so much better than that clapped out 6L that you would be incredibly happy with it.

RAM_Dad

Reaction score
Agree. 9k trailer with limited towing, Hemi would be a great choice.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Really depends on who you ask, some will say you need a 3500 dually with the HO to tow anything bigger than a 2000lbs trailer…..

In my opinion The hemi will serve you well with no issues for your setup, a modern diesel would not be ideal for your situation

jetrinka

Reaction score
Hemi, 8 speed and 4.10’s should serve you perfectly

In my worthless opinion the golden age of diesel is long gone. Too many regulations now dumbing them down. It’s not the Diesel engine that will give you problems. It’s all the stuff they bolt to it that will. I actually had a diesel on order and bought a Hemi instead and am glad I did.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Hemi, 8 speed and 4.10’s should serve you perfectly

In my worthless opinion the golden age of diesel is long gone. Too many regulations now dumbing them down. It’s not the Diesel engine that will give you problems. It’s all the stuff they bolt to it that will. I actually had a diesel on order and bought a Hemi instead and am glad I did.

The EGR free (no external EGR) engines are coming - Cummins already has an EGR free EU Stage V. Soot can be further reduced in combustion if they can get ducted injectors worked into the design.

That said, OP's use case is best fulfilled by a Hemi truck.

Grayson

Reaction score
Hi all, new here. I'm look for my first new tow vehicle in several years (I'll be buying new). Currently, I'm towing a #9k TT that's about 34' long and I'm towing it with a 2013 Chevy Express 3500 with the 6.0 and 3.42 gears. I don't tow often (4-5 times a year), but when I do it's typically a 1,300 mile round trip on I-75. The 6.0 Chevy does just okay, but it doesn't have much power to merge and is constantly downshifting and running 3,500+ rpm on anything other than a minor grade (which gets incredibly annoying inside the van). So now I'm looking for a 3500 CCLB for my next tow rig. I've always wanted a diesel, but have been turned away due to all the horror stories about major issues and crazy expensive repair bills.

So...honest question, are modern diesels that bad? If it's properly maintained, and not generally abused, are they reliable? Or, should I be considering a gasser? I like to have plenty of reserve for future upgrades, but don't want to break the bank with constant repairs.

Here's the curve ball. I live less than 1 mile from my office which I travel to 5-6 times per week and I drive around 11k miles a year total. I do make longer trips of say ~100 miles roundtrip about once every week or so. Should I run away from a diesel?

Thanks everyone, not trying to start a debate, just trying to figure out if it's that bad, or just trucks being abused/neglected.

If you were going to change I would go for the 6.4 Hemi over the diesel. If you're only going short distances most of the time I would attempt to avoid the CCLB as well, due to parking. (I don't know what type of parking your office has so it may be a non-issue)

That being said the 6.0 can handle a lot more power than stock, a tune helps dramatically. I don't think I would want to be the one to do any work period on another 6.0 Chevy Van after changing the spark plugs for a friend.

CanadianIronhead

Banned for flashing
Reaction score

Thanks everyone, not trying to start a debate, just trying to figure out if it's that bad, or just trucks being abused/neglected
First cummins, nearly 100k km, absolutely zero issues, tons of power, does not care what's hooked behind it.

Users who are viewing this thread