Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Intermittent three chime alarm with no faults indicated

Werkerb

Reaction score
Just received my 3500 dually and for the last two days have been hearing three chimes intermittently with no faults/problems indicated on the dash. The times between the chimes very as to how often they happen. The only thing consistent that I have found so far it is always while the truck is moving. Some times while at speed (fast or slow), slowing down or accelerating. Anyone else having this happen?

baker01

Reaction score
Just received my 3500 dually and for the last two days have been hearing three chimes intermittently with no faults/problems indicated on the dash. The times between the chimes very as to how often they happen. The only thing consistent that I have found so far it is always while the truck is moving. Some times while at speed (fast or slow), slowing down or accelerating. Anyone else having this happen?
I have seen this reported a few other places. Some answers were- Nav system warning about red light camera. The Sirius XM "favorite" beep which comes on the radio when you have a specific artist or song set up as a favorite on SiriusXM. Blind spot monitor telling you someone is beside you. lane departure warning.

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score

Could be:

1. Your factory navigation updating you about changes in your current trip (traffic jams, accidents, alternate routes etc)

2. Your blind spot monitors alerting you to something in your blind spot? (There’s a setting for this which switches between no warning, warning light, or warning light + chime)

3. Your forward collision warning system detecting a potential threat in front of you?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlink

Reaction score
I have a driving style that offends my 3500. I accelerate with my right foot and brake with my left. I know, I know.
This means that rarely (like two or three times on a long trip) the truck can catch me with a foot on the brake while the other is coming off the accelerator.
When that happens, I get 3 loud chimes and a driver screen message something like “You can only press one pedal at a time - Entering Limp Mode”. Then in 3 seconds it goes back to normal. Ever seen that message?

Linked4door

Reaction score
My best bet would be the red-light camera warming. It tripped me out tht first time it happened since I wasn't even using the factory navigation at the time. The forward collision is also possible but less likely since that would also have a message on the dash. Nlt to mention you would notice someone indent of you either braking suddenly, you approving a car too fast, or someone cutting you off.

I don't think lane departure or blindspot have any tones associated with them by default. Atleast mine didn't.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a driving style that offends my 3500. I accelerate with my right foot and brake with my left. I know, I know.
This means that rarely (like two or three times on a long trip) the truck can catch me with a foot on the brake while the other is coming off the accelerator.
When that happens, I get 3 loud chimes and a driver screen message something like “You can only press one pedal at a time - Entering Limp Mode”. Then in 3 seconds it goes back to normal. Ever seen that message?

I've tripped it. I don't recall limp mode, but "Service Electronic Accelerator" or some such nonsense.

You can't 2-foot DBW systems. Most will cause REAL dead pedal and can be dangerous if they don't recover quickly.

Werkerb

Reaction score
Thanks to all for your responses. This happens when I am in traffic and when I am by myself on the road. I will keep an eye on the red light intersections and will follow up if I figure anything else out.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
The Forward Collision sensor is definitely the culprit with my truck.

Werkerb

Reaction score
Payed attention while driving today and it was the red light camera warning. Funny thing is you have to have the NAV screen up to see the warning symbols pop up. Haven’t even really looked at that screen yet. At least the mystery is solved. Thanks for everyone’s help on this.

Last edited:

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Mine has never beeped for a red light camera. Do you have to have the stock Nav screen on for it to beep?

mbarber84

Staff member
Reaction score
Payed attention while driving today and it was the red light camera warning. Funny thing is you have to have the NAV screen up to see the warning stables pop up. Haven’t even really looked at that screen yet. At least the mystery is solved. Thanks for everyone’s help on this.

Awesome I’m glad you figured it out! Now we all know!

Werkerb

Reaction score
Mine has never beeped for a red light camera. Do you have to have the stock Nav screen on for it to beep?
I have the 12“ display. Haven’t done anything with the screen so yes it is stock.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
I also have the 12" and it has never beeped for a red light camera. Only for collision avoidance. Maybe there is a setting somewhere. I will need to dig a bit I guess.

JABAR357

Reaction score
Thanks to all for your responses. This happens when I am in traffic and when I am by myself on the road. I will keep an eye on the red light intersections and will follow up if I figure anything else out.
It could be you have the speed alert setting on the navigation settings page enabled. I have mine enabled. I get 3 chimes when I go over the speed limit.

Reaction score
My wife said it might be a school zone warning (20 mph). Her Chevrolet Equinox does the same thing at a school zone. I think it’s more specifically a school zone with speed cameras. Let’s watch out for that. Owners manual doesn’t say anything about it.

Oilburner61

Reaction score
I am occasionally getting a 3 chime audible alert while driving. Chimes are about a half second apart. Do not get any indication on any screen for what the alert is. Typically happens when driving in traffic but I am just moving with traffic flow and not overly close to vehicle in front of me. Happens in city and freeway driving. Anyone have an idea what this alert is?

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
I am occasionally getting a 3 chime audible alert while driving. Chimes are about a half second apart. Do not get any indication on any screen for what the alert is. Typically happens when driving in traffic but I am just moving with traffic flow and not overly close to vehicle in front of me. Happens in city and freeway driving. Anyone have an idea what this alert is?
My guess … clean your front park sensors?

Oilburner61

Reaction score
Truck was just washed 2 days ago and there is nothing on the sensors. Also is a different tone of alert than parking sensors typically have.

Users who are viewing this thread