Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Info on Goosebox replacement Reese or Gen Y or any other good options and solar upgrade costs questions

Svend02703

Reaction score
Hmmmmm. I bought the Reese Goosebox from Etrailer. Free shipping, and included instructions, plates, and air valve is current. This was in August.
Purchased in November. I know they are releasing the Gen 3 with the air valve on top. So, my guess is their unloading the old Gen 2 even with missing parts. Free shipping but NOT free return shipping.

Drumminguy81

Reaction score
I got my goosebox off Amazon last december when they had a 20% off sale and only paid $1025.. at least with amazon I had free return if I didnt like it. But I have nothing but great things to say about it. Quality product works great. My air valve looks much different than yours and no complaints about functionality or access. I thought it was a gen 2 but not positive.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Redfour5

Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting a 5th wheel to travel and find where I might want to retire at, I have a 2022 3500 CCSB with the 5th wheel prep and have already changed out the OEM center section for the B&W turnover. My question for you 5th wheel guys what would be the better Goosebox swap either the Reese or the Gen Y or any other options that are good so I could utilize the 4" offset ball.

I have been looking at the KZ Sportsman and Keystone Fuzion models as of late and any reviews of these quality, maintenance, or issues would be appreciated. Anyone know what the cost to upgrade the Solarflex from the factory 200 to 400I or 600I-L or 1200 I-L on the Fuzion as they don't offer that online or the solar option on the KZ as they are solar prepped.

Any info would be grateful, thanks in advance. The only thing that has me hesitant is who knows what fuel prices are going to go to.
I'm watching as there may be a fifth wheel in our future... But as to where to live, if you have flexibility, I live in Montana and have zero state sales tax. ZERO. IF you are still buying things in the world like trucks and fifth wheels, you can save a WHOLE lot by living and buying here... I moved from KS where there was like a 9% sales tax and it hurt when you bought a car. Hurt a lot. Now, after you buy your toys, Then move to one of those states where they don't have an income tax...

jsalbre

Reaction score
Thanks guys for your input, I did read about Lippert and Gen-Y not being approved only the Reese.

Anyone have any info on Solar upgrade costs?
Late response here, but I've done a number of solar installs on RVs. First off, stay away from flexible solar panels. They're trash, they're inefficient, they don't last long, and they'll burn the roof of your RV. Solar panels need to have airflow behind them to keep them cool, both for them to work well and for them to last. You want glass panels.

As to cost, my current system has 412Ah of 12v LiFePO4 batteries, 800W of solar panels (200Wx4), a large inverter that will run my AC, a large DC-DC charger to charge the trailer batteries from the truck, and all of the other miscellaneous parts required. It cost me about $11k, but I did all the work myself. If you're paying someone else to do an install it's generally safe to assume that the labor will cost about the same as your parts cost.

Users who are viewing this thread