Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Improved ride quality on 2022 Ram 2500 Tradesman 4wd 6.4 Hemi

HemiCrew

Reaction score
Having switched from a 2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn to the 2022 Ram 2500 Tradesman 4wd truck I was a little taken back by the relatively rough ride. (Yes I am an older guy and like a comfortable ride.) It started with the factory Firestones being aired up to 85 psi by the dealer and on the 45 minute trip home my wife was definitely questioning my decision. Based on guidance from this forum and tire load charts I lowered the pressure to 45/40 psi front/rear as most of my driving is in an unloaded truck. It rode a little better but still left me regretting my decision to purchase an HD truck even though I wanted it for its towing capability for a 7 to 8K travel trailer. I then bought the Thuren front sway bar and installed it and it helped improve the ride but still not to my satisfaction. The next step made a world of difference and that was to replace the stock 33.1 diameter Firestones with 34.8 diameter 275/75r18 Falken Wildpeak AT3W set at 45/45 psi. The change in ride is night and day. Still stiff compared to a 1500 on rough roads as expected but one heck of a lot smoother on both rough and smooth roads. Road imperfections are now barely felt and the rough patches of road are not near as jarring. The looks of the truck are also improved with the larger tire. The tires ride very smooth and even quieter than the stock Firestones since they don't really transmit vibrations from the grainy asphalt road surfaces that exist on rural roads around my house. Am very happy about the upgrades in total. Now I just need to figure out how to hook the KOADtech security bypass module up to the 2022 truck so that I can use the AlphaOBD software to change the TPMS threshold. The location of wire connections for the bypass module appears to be behind the headlight knob/switch on the 2022 and seems to have little access. If anyone has done it on a 2022 Tradesman and has pics please let me know.

On another note, I used a speedometer app to check my speedometer with the larger tires. To my surprise the app and the speedo were showing the same speed within 1 mph. Is that possible? I read a thread that indicated if you were using the WAZE app that it could sync up with the vehicle gps and show the same speed. I was not using WAZE but wonder if the same thing happened.

Attachments

• Front Lft View.jpeg
    Front Lft View.jpeg
    565.6 KB · Views: 176
  • Front View.jpeg
    Front View.jpeg
    365.6 KB · Views: 152
  • Rt Rear View.jpeg
    Rt Rear View.jpeg
    486.8 KB · Views: 172
  • Side View.jpeg
    Side View.jpeg
    418.1 KB · Views: 186

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Not all tires are the measurement they indicate often they are a bit smaller which could be why its only 1MPH out

Jgouldski

Reaction score
Based on guidance from this forum and tire load charts I lowered the pressure to 45/40 psi front/rear as most of my driving is in an unloaded truck.
I keep meaning to look this up and your post reminded me of it. Is 45/40 the general consensus for tire pressure on an unloaded truck? Not sure if it matters but mine is a 2019 2500.
Now I just need to figure out how to hook the KOADtech security bypass module up to the 2022 truck so that I can use the AlphaOBD software to change the TPMS threshold. The location of wire connections for the bypass module appears to be behind the headlight knob/switch on the 2022 and seems to have little access. If anyone has done it on a 2022 Tradesman and has pics please let me know.
I just took my headlight/cab light switch panel off the other day as there was an abandoned aftermarket switch I wanted to removed, and if yours is the same as the 2019s then it is really easy. The panel below the steering column has to be removed (2 hex screws, then just clips that disengage when you pull), then the panel in question can just be yanked out in the same way - there are no screws. This may give you better access to the security wire connections.

HemiCrew

Reaction score
I keep meaning to look this up and your post reminded me of it. Is 45/40 the general consensus for tire pressure on an unloaded truck? Not sure if it matters but mine is a 2019 2500.

I just took my headlight/cab light switch panel off the other day as there was an abandoned aftermarket switch I wanted to removed, and if yours is the same as the 2019s then it is really easy. The panel below the steering column has to be removed (2 hex screws, then just clips that disengage when you pull), then the panel in question can just be yanked out in the same way - there are no screws. This may give you better access to the security wire connections.
On the tire pressure you need to know what weight in the unloaded condition your front and rear axles are supporting. You can come close by looking up the towing specs for your particular truck or weigh your truck on a scale. The specs will show what your empty weight is and how that is distributed to the front/rear axles. My weight is 6796 lbs with 3923 on the font and 2873 on the rear. Next you need to look up the load vs tire pressure chart for your specific brand and size of tire. The chart will show you what each tire can support given a specific tire pressure. The 45/40 pressures do seem to generally provide enough support for most tires but you need to review the chart and decide for yourself. My new tires (285/75r18) could be aired down to 35 psi and support the unloaded weight but then I would be concerned about uneven wear and reduced gas mileage.

Thanks for the guidance on getting to the wire locations for the bypass security module. That is my next project.

HemiCrew

Reaction score
Not all tires are the measurement they indicate often they are a bit smaller which could be why its only 1MPH out
In my original thread I said my new tire size is 275/75r18 but meant 285/75r18. By spec the tire is supposed to be 34.8 inches in diameter. After seeing your comment I went out and measured the diameter as the truck sits and the diameter comes in at just over 33.5 inches. So you are correct as that must be the reason why the speedo is not off. Thanks for the insight.

eljefe

Reaction score
Thanks for the post. Like you I went from the 1500 to the 2500 for towing purposes. Definitely can be a back breaker of a ride! I have 17” steel wheels and was wondering if a softer rubber would be the answer, but definitely don’t want to reduce the load rate of the tire for a softer ride.

Firebird

Reaction score
I don't know what size wheels you guys are running, but the only 2500 that I had with a miserable ride, was the one with 20" wheels

HemiCrew

Reaction score
Thanks for the post. Like you I went from the 1500 to the 2500 for towing purposes. Definitely can be a back breaker of a ride! I have 17” steel wheels and was wondering if a softer rubber would be the answer, but definitely don’t want to reduce the load rate of the tire for a softer ride.
My stock wheels are steel 18” diameter by 8” wide. I upgraded the tires to 285/75r18 Falken Wildpeaks. The tires did help along with lowering the pressure to 45psi front and 40 psi rear. I would think with the 17” rim you could go to a larger tire (34 to 35”) and gain an even better ride than where I am. It all depends on what you consider to be a comfortable ride. I live off of a 10 mile rather rough asphalt county road that beats me up every time I drive it. Hopefully the new front coils springs and shocks will tame the road.

jeffawats

Reaction score
I also came from a 1500 Ram to my 22 Tradesman and the ride was brutal.I have installed Thuren 2" front coils,Thuren trackbar and and Icon 2.0 shocks,ride is much improved but could still be better.I am wrestling wether to stick with 18" wheels or go to 20",definetly want a 35" tire though.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I also came from a 1500 Ram to my 22 Tradesman and the ride was brutal.I have installed Thuren 2" front coils,Thuren trackbar and and Icon 2.0 shocks,ride is much improved but could still be better.I am wrestling wether to stick with 18" wheels or go to 20",definetly want a 35" tire though.
18” hands down….

HemiCrew

Reaction score
After having installed the Thuren front coil springs and Fox shocks the ride quality did improve. But not enough for me to keep the truck. I still missed the ride of my 2020 Ram 1500. The fact that by raising the truck and adding the 34 inch tires my city mileage dropped to 12 mpg did not help matters. I stole my 2020 Longhorn from the dealer for $45k, traded even for the 2022 Ram 2500 ($51k) added coil springs, sway bar, Fox shocks, and tires and then got my butt kicked by trading it in for a 2022 Ram 1500 4x4 Sport. The whole reason I bought the 2500 was to pull a travel trailer because my 2020 1500 only had about 1150lbs of payload capability. Long story short, bought a 2022 1500 that has a 1700 lb payload and 11500 trailer capability, gets 18 mpg city, and rides like a dream. Granted, I have to scale down my travel trailer plans, but since I spend 80 to 90% of my time driving unloaded around town (and I hated the ride/mileage of the 2500) it was the right move for me. I now enjoy driving my truck everyday! More power to you guys that drive the 2500’s. Great trucks just not for me.

Last edited:

HemiCrew

Reaction score
Don’t even think about going with the 20’s. Increasing tire diameter on the 18’s will improve your ride and is better for off roading. Just get it out of your mind that you can make the 2500 ride like your 1500. Take it from someone that tried. I am sure that with a lot more money it could, I just wasn’t willing to go there.

jeffawats

Reaction score
I have for the most part settled on Falken Wildpeak AT3/W's in 295/70/18 and will probably continue to run my OEM chrome clads unless I find a smoking deal on wheels.

jetrinka

Reaction score
I have for the most part settled on Falken Wildpeak AT3/W's in 295/70/18 and will probably continue to run my OEM chrome clads unless I find a smoking deal on wheels.
I actually don't mind the look of the OEM wheels. They fit the trucks well.

Users who are viewing this thread