Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you ordered from Mark Dodge, how did you get your truck or how do you plan to get it?

joeycamp

Reaction score
So they have a set fee of $425 for documents and compliance. Eventually I received a check for a bit over $100 refund of the charges.

I don’t recall if I had a choice of where to pay the tax. If you’re going to register it up here yourself you may have some options. At financing, I just had to see how much they would lend me and then wire the cash part. They are well organized in the whole process.

It sounds like the delay almost worked out better for you with your schedule. Except you’ll miss Chip and Joann in Waco! Haha
I had to pay the tax up front since I financed through them. And I stressed to make sure they mark off that I want passenger plates, not commercial. Did you ever switch to pass plates?

mr hankey

Reaction score
Exactly how it went. I have a high score and she didn't even ask. Ironically I Just got my w2 today even held up the envelope she said nope don't need it.
Great!! You’re all set to go there and pick it up!
I’m also top tier but I thought maybe you’d have to have something. Wasn’t sure. I’m sure you’ll post when you make it there and pick it up.

Leadchuncker

Reaction score
I
@mr hankey I still didn't get my truck yet, lol. But really, not funny. Hopefully next week.

Question for you. Don't remember if this was brought up or not. Did you have MD register it for you or you did when you got home to the island? I would guess it is faster if doing it when you get home. I'm sure if not they gave you a temp plate. I'm just wondering if you need the tax money at the time of purchase.

I will tell about my journey when it's complete, Right now everything is up in the air as you can imagine.
I let them figure the tax and tag for my state and paid them to take care of it since I don’t have a tag office close by.
My complaint with that decision is they didn’t follow my request for a 16,000 tag. When I received the tag it was weighted but only for 8,000 pounds. They did reimburse me the difference but I still had to make a aggravating trip to the tag office and waisted a whole day. You might as well just handle it yourself so you’ll know it’s correct

joeycamp

Reaction score
I

I let them figure the tax and tag for my state and paid them to take care of it since I don’t have a tag office close by.
My complaint with that decision is they didn’t follow my request for a 16,000 tag. When I received the tag it was weighted but only for 8,000 pounds. They did reimburse me the difference but I still had to make a aggravating trip to the tag office and waisted a whole day. You might as well just handle it yourself so you’ll know it’s correct
I stressed to them that I want passenger plates, not commercial plates.

Leadchuncker

Reaction score
I stressed to them that I want passenger plates, not commercial plates.
Here in NC if it’s a HD truck it automatically gets a weighted tag. The dually weighs 10,000 pounds right out the gate and 16,000 is still light if you pull something other then a camper. The power wagon has a 12,000 pound tag on it and you still have to watch what your pulling.

joeycamp

Reaction score
Let us New Yorkers know how that works and what you have to do to register it as a passenger vehicle
I will when I get home with it in about 3 weeks. But if you look at the dew MV82 dated after July 2022 it says on top if not using for business you can get pas plates.

Here in NC if it’s a HD truck it automatically gets a weighted tag. The dually weighs 10,000 pounds right out the gate and 16,000 is still light if you pull something other then a camper. The power wagon has a 12,000 pound tag on it and you still have to watch what your pulling.
In NY I believe It used to be if it was over a certain weight you needed commercial plates. Commercial plates you can't drive on parkways or HOV lane. It changed in July last year. A friend says he thinks it changed because of the SUV EVs coming out and the weight of the batteries puts the weight over and NY don't want to discourage people from getting EVs for this reason.

Eli77657

Reaction score
I will when I get home with it in about 3 weeks. But if you look at the dew MV82 dated after July 2022 it says on top if not using for business you can get pas plates.

In NY I believe It used to be if it was over a certain weight you needed commercial plates. Commercial plates you can't drive on parkways or HOV lane. It changed in July last year. A friend says he thinks it changed because of the SUV EVs coming out and the weight of the batteries puts the weight over and NY don't want to discourage people from getting EVs for this reason.

As far as I’m aware almost anything can be registered as passenger in NY now as long as it’s not being used for commercial

mr hankey

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your input. I hate having the commercial plates and no parkways and no left lane. I guess I need to keep up with the times!

mr hankey

Reaction score

Holy crap!! I downloaded the MV82 dated July (when my truck came in) and saw the pickup exclusion for non commercial use!
Thank you all for this info. I’ll be at DMV this week!

mr hankey

Reaction score
Back on topic. For now.

Above quote of myself were my plans to get the truck now my new plans. In a way everything seemed to fall in place pretty good. Killing 3 birds with one stone.

First bird. My mom visiting for the holidays broke her foot while here. Was supposed to fly home 1/3 but couldn’t so staying longer. (Actually during the Southwest meltdown her connection was cancelled that day) Doc said she’s good to go so I have to fly home with her next week. Can’t let her fly alone still limping around. (no loss for me she lives in Vegas)

Second bird. After a few days with mom and some blackjack in Vegas flying from there to Houston late next week. Pick up truck and spend the night at Golden Nugget in Lake Charles.

Third bird. So happens to be that I have 2 weeks of training Oklahoma starting the following week. Drive to Oklahoma for training, about 8 hour drive. Spend the 2 weeks there then drive home. Only thing from my previous plains I will do is see my cousin in North Carolina. Maybe stop in Memphis and keep the plans to stop in Bethlehem PA.
Make it back yet?
How was the trip and how do you like the truck?

joeycamp

Reaction score
Yes, home, sorry for the late update. Everything went as planned like I explained above.

NYS sent MD commercial plates. I went to DMV and got them changed to pas plates.

As for the truck It's awesome. The 12 inch screen rebooted twice while driving. Other than that I had no problems at all. Got around 22 on the highway if I kept it under 80.

BamaOEF

Reaction score
Alabama has a Service-connected disability veteran 51% or higher plate that exempts non-commercial vehicles from weight restrictions. $5.00 per year fee. From website:
A resident of Alabama who is a service-connected disabled veteran.
This plate may not be personalized or transferred between vehicle owners; the plate may be displayed on the following vehicles:
  • Private passenger automobiles
  • Pickup trucks
  • Motorcycles
  • Pleasure motor vehicles (i.e., recreational vehicles) not exceeding 12,000 pounds gross vehicle weight. Note: Veterans qualifying for the $5 plate (disability rating 51% or higher) may display the plate on any gross vehicle weight pleasure motor vehicle.
Pretty good deal for Vets the other alternative is 12000 LBS Gross vehicle weight. DISABLED-VETERAN-ARMY.jpg

2022Ram67

Reaction score
Just curious what others are doing as far as receiving their truck. I'm near Atlanta, and plan to either fly into Lafayette and Lyft to the dealership or just have it delivered by truck. I'm about 650 miles from the dealer, so I assume delivery will be around $750.
Get a buddy and go on a road trip for sure! Rule number one of making a deal is having ability to walk away. If dealer knows you have to drive purchased truck back home they will treat you like **** because they know you need the truck. Now you still might get it no matter what, but at least they know you have ability to walk away and they will know you are serious since you drove so far and will go to next dealer next door and spend money there if they mess around. That will make them behave. Also, inspect the crap out of truck. I saw one underneath that was not painted! Had surface rust alllll under with only 6 miles on clock. And this was in Texas!

Users who are viewing this thread