Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you ordered from Mark Dodge, how did you get your truck or how do you plan to get it?

joeycamp

Reaction score
I posted here a while back I would update on my when I go get my truck. I was thinking Aug or Sept I would get it but that was very wishful thinking. It is now mid Nov and still not even shipped. Was built 7/26 still in MX.

joeycamp

Reaction score
@mr hankey I still didn't get my truck yet, lol. But really, not funny. Hopefully next week.

Question for you. Don't remember if this was brought up or not. Did you have MD register it for you or you did when you got home to the island? I would guess it is faster if doing it when you get home. I'm sure if not they gave you a temp plate. I'm just wondering if you need the tax money at the time of purchase.

I will tell about my journey when it's complete, Right now everything is up in the air as you can imagine.

DrTron

Reaction score
Question for you. Don't remember if this was brought up or not. Did you have MD register it for you or you did when you got home to the island? I would guess it is faster if doing it when you get home. I'm sure if not they gave you a temp plate. I'm just wondering if you need the tax money at the time of purchase.
I got a temporary plate from them and they overnighted the paperwork to my tax collector, so I was able to register it only a few days later (MS gives you a penalty if you don't register it within 8 days).
Even though the tax didn't go to LA, they did charge the MS tax at time of purchase and then sent a check along with the documents to the tax collector. Pretty silly if yo ask me...

slowindown

Reaction score
I got a temporary plate from them and they overnighted the paperwork to my tax collector, so I was able to register it only a few days later (MS gives you a penalty if you don't register it within 8 days).
Even though the tax didn't go to LA, they did charge the MS tax at time of purchase and then sent a check along with the documents to the tax collector. Pretty silly if yo ask me...
I’m in MS too. I’ve bought several vehicles at various dealers over the years in LA. All of them collected the tax. I’ve had two of those dealerships, both Chrysler product dealers, over collect the tax and then the tax accessor’s office refunded me the difference. With MD, they charged me right at $1000 more in tax than was due.

DrTron

Reaction score
I’m in MS too. I’ve bought several vehicles at various dealers over the years in LA. All of them collected the tax. I’ve had two of those dealerships, both Chrysler product dealers, over collect the tax and then the tax accessor’s office refunded me the difference. With MD, they charged me right at $1000 more in tax than was due.
Interesting. MD charged exactly the 5% the tax collector wanted, so I only had to pay the registration fee.
But I bought my 2019 1500 in Ruston, LA, back in 2018, and I did not pay the tax to the dealer. Maybe they just made a mistake, but no harm done.

joeycamp

Reaction score
Different in NY you pay tax when registering. So I’m guessing I’ll get the temp plate. Thing is I have training in Oklahoma for 2 weeks then i drive to NY. So I’ll be driving around with a temp plate for a while. I just don’t remember if I read if MD collects the tax then sends to NY or not.

Guess I’ll find out soon. Truck just showed up at MD this morning.

DrTron

Reaction score
Different in NY you pay tax when registering. So I’m guessing I’ll get the temp plate. Thing is I have training in Oklahoma for 2 weeks then i drive to NY. So I’ll be driving around with a temp plate for a while.
Just make sure you don't run into any penalties with NY. The MD temp plate was dated for at least a month, IIRC.
Not that I needed it, in MS you don't even get or need a temp plate, but that's just us down here.

Thisnthat

Reaction score
Mark Dodge had told me back in the spring that they are required to collect the sales tax if you are financing through them...if you were paying cash or had alternative financing the sales tax being paid at the time of the sale wasn't required.

DrTron

Reaction score
Mark Dodge had told me back in the spring that they are required to collect the sales tax if you are financing through them...if you were paying cash or had alternative financing the sales tax being paid at the time of the sale wasn't required.
Not my experience. I paid cash and they still had to withhold it. At least that's what the financing department told me.

RichM752

Reaction score
I paid cash, and had trucked shipped to Calif.
Temp tag was in the truck, and I paid tax/lic fees at the DMV when I picked up the truck and drove to DMV office, after stopping by the smog station to have it California certified.
It was painful writing that check.

mr hankey

Reaction score
@mr hankey I still didn't get my truck yet, lol. But really, not funny. Hopefully next week.

I will tell about my journey when it's complete, Right now everything is up in the air as you can imagine.
WOW!! Truck just arrived now? That’s an insane amount of waiting. You’ve got more patience than me!

So I had paid in full up here, sales tax and all. I financed almost 50k at 0% which was easier than writing a check for the entire truck. They handled that without a problem. Had my temp LA tags on it. They are good for 60 days. After about 45 days I started to question when my NY plates would be here, I got a reply of Oh did you want passenger plates on it? I explained that with the given weight of it NY requires commercial plates. Don’t know why it took so long to ask me that, could have been the DMV even. Plates arrived in the mail the day before they would have expired.
I’ve had the truck for so long I haven’t been checking in here in a while. I’ll have to follow this to hear about your trip up. Bring your EZ pass too!
All in all it was well worth it to buy from MD. Diesel got just under 20 mpg traveling up and prices are a bit better now.
Keep us informed.

joeycamp

Reaction score
WOW!! Truck just arrived now? That’s an insane amount of waiting. You’ve got more patience than me!

So I had paid in full up here, sales tax and all. I financed almost 50k at 0% which was easier than writing a check for the entire truck. They handled that without a problem. Had my temp LA tags on it. They are good for 60 days. After about 45 days I started to question when my NY plates would be here, I got a reply of Oh did you want passenger plates on it? I explained that with the given weight of it NY requires commercial plates. Don’t know why it took so long to ask me that, could have been the DMV even. Plates arrived in the mail the day before they would have expired.
I’ve had the truck for so long I haven’t been checking in here in a while. I’ll have to follow this to hear about your trip up. Bring your EZ pass too!
All in all it was well worth it to buy from MD. Diesel got just under 20 mpg traveling up and prices are a bit better now.
Keep us informed.
Yea I know long wait but figured since I don’t have camping plans till May I stuck it out. But still would’ve liked it in September.

So since you financed through MD were you required to pay tax at time of financial zoom or your choice? I’d rather pay here when I register when I get back. And if you don’t mind me asking how much was the registration part? My zoom is later today I just want to be prepared.

I’ll share my travel plans a little later. They had to change drastically due to this delay.

joeycamp

Reaction score
Will be flying into Dallas from Long Island (non stop from JFK likely). Renting a car then spending a day in Waco. Wife wants to see the Magnolia place the fixer upper people have. Kind of a bargaining chip I got for her to go along with all this, lol

Then off to MD, pick up truck, return rental, then to NO for a day maybe 2. Stop in NC on the way north see some relatives. Then Wind Creek in Bethlehem PA before the final 3+ hours home.

Looking at early sept for the truck to come in. Maybe the oven will be turned down a little down there and wont be so hot.

What rental car company is being used that will offer drop off in Lake Charles?
Back on topic. For now.

Above quote of myself were my plans to get the truck now my new plans. In a way everything seemed to fall in place pretty good. Killing 3 birds with one stone.

First bird. My mom visiting for the holidays broke her foot while here. Was supposed to fly home 1/3 but couldn’t so staying longer. (Actually during the Southwest meltdown her connection was cancelled that day) Doc said she’s good to go so I have to fly home with her next week. Can’t let her fly alone still limping around. (no loss for me she lives in Vegas)

Second bird. After a few days with mom and some blackjack in Vegas flying from there to Houston late next week. Pick up truck and spend the night at Golden Nugget in Lake Charles.

Third bird. So happens to be that I have 2 weeks of training Oklahoma starting the following week. Drive to Oklahoma for training, about 8 hour drive. Spend the 2 weeks there then drive home. Only thing from my previous plains I will do is see my cousin in North Carolina. Maybe stop in Memphis and keep the plans to stop in Bethlehem PA.

mr hankey

Reaction score
Yea I know long wait but figured since I don’t have camping plans till May I stuck it out. But still would’ve liked it in September.

So since you financed through MD were you required to pay tax at time of financial zoom or your choice? I’d rather pay here when I register when I get back. And if you don’t mind me asking how much was the registration part? My zoom is later today I just want to be prepared.

I’ll share my travel plans a little later. They had to change drastically due to this delay.
So they have a set fee of $425 for documents and compliance. Eventually I received a check for a bit over $100 refund of the charges.

I don’t recall if I had a choice of where to pay the tax. If you’re going to register it up here yourself you may have some options. At financing, I just had to see how much they would lend me and then wire the cash part. They are well organized in the whole process.

It sounds like the delay almost worked out better for you with your schedule. Except you’ll miss Chip and Joann in Waco! Haha

DrTron

Reaction score
and then wire the cash part. They are well organized in the whole process.
Yeah, but at least with my bank, getting a certified check would have been a whole lot easier than wiring the amount. But they were rather unflexible here.

joeycamp

Reaction score
So they have a set fee of $425 for documents and compliance. Eventually I received a check for a bit over $100 refund of the charges.

I don’t recall if I had a choice of where to pay the tax. If you’re going to register it up here yourself you may have some options. At financing, I just had to see how much they would lend me and then wire the cash part. They are well organized in the whole process.

It sounds like the delay almost worked out better for you with your schedule. Except you’ll miss Chip and Joann in Waco! Haha
Thanks. Do you remember if they ask for paystub’s or W-2s? Trying to gather all this. The email didn’t say anything about getting anything together just wanna be prepared. I replied back asking but didn’t get back to me.

mr hankey

Reaction score
Thanks. Do you remember if they ask for paystub’s or W-2s? Trying to gather all this. The email didn’t say anything about getting anything together just wanna be prepared. I replied back asking but didn’t get back to me.
I don’t have either!! Retired
I’m sure you’ll need some proof of income if you’re borrowing any money.

joelp

Reaction score
ive never had to show proof of income on a vehicle purchase that i can recall. they want your credit score and you write in what you make. i've never had anyone ask for verification. if you've got a good score, it's probably a non issue.

Cseybert

Reaction score
I think it depends on your age. Most likely with a good credit score these days you don’t have to prove income.

joeycamp

Reaction score
ive never had to show proof of income on a vehicle purchase that i can recall. they want your credit score and you write in what you make. i've never had anyone ask for verification. if you've got a good score, it's probably a non issue.
Exactly how it went. I have a high score and she didn't even ask. Ironically I Just got my w2 today even held up the envelope she said nope don't need it.

Users who are viewing this thread