Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I want to add heated seats, with cloth interior

snakedoctor00

Reaction score
I have a 2021 2500 Bighorn that came with the "Premium Cloth Interior". I am debating eventually going with Katzkin leather but that's a future far off purchase. I was told at the dealer they could add heated seats but would have to upgrade to leather seats and it would be an aftermarket button not factory. That dealer's parts is also full of crap because he told me its not possible to change to the LED headlights of the other trims and even some other bighorns. Ive looked up that it is sometimes possible to add heated seats to cloth interior and Ive even been in a rental car that had it. I have found the following part numbers that I believe are part of what I need.

Heated Seat Switch - Mopar (6EM17TX7AB)

Seat Cushion Heated Pad - Mopar (68398692AB)

Heated Seat Module - Mopar (68388904AB)

Heated Seat Module - Mopar (68388905AB)

The last two I cannot tell what is different between them so I added them both. I do have an unused plug under my seat so I am not sure what is all needed to make this work. Also I know I can add the soft buttons in the radio for the heated seats but would it also be possible to add the hard wired button? Theres a small panel that would go on my radio bezel that holds the driver, passenger, and steering wheel heated controls. My plan is everything as factory was if that is even possible. Ive heard of others sourcing heated seats from junkyards but where I am in FL its very hard to find recent model years parts from accident vehicles. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Darkside

Reaction score
I have a 2021 2500 Bighorn that came with the "Premium Cloth Interior". I am debating eventually going with Katzkin leather but that's a future far off purchase. I was told at the dealer they could add heated seats but would have to upgrade to leather seats and it would be an aftermarket button not factory. That dealer's parts is also full of crap because he told me its not possible to change to the LED headlights of the other trims and even some other bighorns. Ive looked up that it is sometimes possible to add heated seats to cloth interior and Ive even been in a rental car that had it. I have found the following part numbers that I believe are part of what I need.

Heated Seat Switch - Mopar (6EM17TX7AB)

Seat Cushion Heated Pad - Mopar (68398692AB)

Heated Seat Module - Mopar (68388904AB)

Heated Seat Module - Mopar (68388905AB)

The last two I cannot tell what is different between them so I added them both. I do have an unused plug under my seat so I am not sure what is all needed to make this work. Also I know I can add the soft buttons in the radio for the heated seats but would it also be possible to add the hard wired button? Theres a small panel that would go on my radio bezel that holds the driver, passenger, and steering wheel heated controls. My plan is everything as factory was if that is even possible. Ive heard of others sourcing heated seats from junkyards but where I am in FL its very hard to find recent model years parts from accident vehicles. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Obviously the parts guy doesn’t know what he’s talking about, 2500 Big Horns can get the heated wheel and seats option (cloth seats), maybe talk to a different dealer...

BroKV

Reaction score
My 2021 Big Horn has heated cloth seats and heated steering wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

snakedoctor00

Reaction score
Obviously the parts guy doesn’t know what he’s talking about, 2500 Big Horns can get the heated wheel and seats option (cloth seats), maybe talk to a different dealer...
I will ask the guy from the dealer I ordered my headlights from. My experience with dealers here in FL have always been less than helpful unfortunately.
I would believe it’s just adding the heating pads and connecting them with a little AlphaOBD work.

whitexc

Reaction score
Hey now 60 degrees is cold in Florida! But mainly I love the heated steering wheel in the cold weather.
Ummm....Buffalo here. 60 is T-shirt weather pal.

But really.....good luck with the switch. My BigHorn was ordered with premium heated cloth and steering wheel.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

g00fy

Reaction score
Easiest way to do this is to find a pair of heated seats on car-parts.com or eBay out of a wrecked truck and bolt them in. I did it on my tradesman, the wiring is all there just gotta plug them in and turn on the settings in AlfaOBD. You may Also want to invest in the correct bezel with the buttons also, unless your ok with turning things on and off through the uconnect.

snakedoctor00

Reaction score
Easiest way to do this is to find a pair of heated seats on car-parts.com or eBay out of a wrecked truck and bolt them in. I did it on my tradesman, the wiring is all there just gotta plug them in and turn on the settings in AlfaOBD. You may Also want to invest in the correct bezel with the buttons also, unless your ok with turning things on and off through the uconnect.
I do want the bezel with the hard wired buttons for no other reason than the vanity of it. I have found a steering wheel on car part but I’ll be honest I have no idea how to contact the part holder. Says “email” and it’s a hyperlink but I get an undeliverable message error. I will try some google-fu and call the numbers I find, based in Michigan according to car part.

As far as the seat goes I haven’t been able to find any seats from car-part.

g00fy

Reaction score
I do want the bezel with the hard wired buttons for no other reason than the vanity of it. I have found a steering wheel on car part but I’ll be honest I have no idea how to contact the part holder. Says “email” and it’s a hyperlink but I get an undeliverable message error. I will try some google-fu and call the numbers I find, based in Michigan according to car part.

As far as the seat goes I haven’t been able to find any seats from car-part.
Yea, be careful buying anything from LKQ off car parts, they're a pain in the ass to deal with. Was trying to buy a heated steering wheel from them, first after 2 weeks it didn't show up so I called and they said they were trying to reach me but had the wrong phone number because the part I ordered didn't meet their "safety & quality standards" and there were no others in stock.

So I found plenty more in stock and called them back to see if they would just ship me one that they showed in stock, they said no I would have to buy it as a new transaction and pay for it again. So I did that, and they sent me a tradesman steering wheel instead of the Laramie steering wheel the girl took the order for. Called on that and they told me to keep the wheel and they did eventually send me a Laramie steering wheel that was pretty beat up, lots of nicks in the leather. However it took a month and a few phone calls to finally get my refund for the initial order.

That being said, you also have to be aware, when you buy seats from a salvage yard you have to specify that you want the heated seat module because they may remove it to sell it separately. Also they automatically strip the airbags out of the seats to sell separately so you will have to transfer the airbags from your factory seats to your new heated seats.

I found a pair of 2019 big horn seats that were pretty reasonable, $400 for the pair, but shipping was an additional $200 and I didn't know they were missing the air bags.

snakedoctor00

Reaction score
Jesus 60* is warm here for me lol
I was being a little facetious. It gets in the 30s here and just like the heat feels worse than it is, the cold can be pretty bad at times. I’d just like to say I have heated seats in my $60k truck when cars in the low 20’s have features these trucks don’t.

snakedoctor00

Reaction score
Yea, be careful buying anything from LKQ off car parts, they're a pain in the ass to deal with. Was trying to buy a heated steering wheel from them, first after 2 weeks it didn't show up so I called and they said they were trying to reach me but had the wrong phone number because the part I ordered didn't meet their "safety & quality standards" and there were no others in stock.

So I found plenty more in stock and called them back to see if they would just ship me one that they showed in stock, they said no I would have to buy it as a new transaction and pay for it again. So I did that, and they sent me a tradesman steering wheel instead of the Laramie steering wheel the girl took the order for. Called on that and they told me to keep the wheel and they did eventually send me a Laramie steering wheel that was pretty beat up, lots of nicks in the leather. However it took a month and a few phone calls to finally get my refund for the initial order.

That being said, you also have to be aware, when you buy seats from a salvage yard you have to specify that you want the heated seat module because they may remove it to sell it separately. Also they automatically strip the airbags out of the seats to sell separately so you will have to transfer the airbags from your factory seats to your new heated seats.

I found a pair of 2019 big horn seats that were pretty reasonable, $400 for the pair, but shipping was an additional $200 and I didn't know they were missing the air bags.
I appreciate the detailed information. Will probably be hesitant to go with them then. LKQ has a local pick your part but they wouldn’t have anything this new unless it was very badly damaged.
I’ve tried what I’ve read a guy on here did, saw on Car-part then went to their eBay page to make the purchase.

el_barto

Reaction score
This post got me thinking about adding ventilated seats to my Power Wagon (cloth seats with existing heating) since the AC sucks.

A bit of googling it appears there’s 4 main parts needed(per seat):
Seat Back Ventilation Bag - Mopar (68362098AB)
Seat Cushion Ventilation Bag - Mopar (68362099AC)
Seat Back Blower - Mopar (68366263AB)
Seat Cushion Blower - Mopar (68366262AB)
About $200 in parts.

It looks like the “ventilation bags” have the heating element in it, so I would just remove the existing heating elements and install the “ventilation bag” in their place, which I’m guessing would plug right in. The blower motors might be a bit trickier, not sure if the connectors would be there or not. Then I’m guessing you just activate it with alpha OBD, and replace the heated-only switches with heated/vented switches on the console.
The other unknown is how well the ventilation will penetrate the fabric seat, vs the perforated leather.

01Time

Reaction score
This post got me thinking about adding ventilated seats to my Power Wagon (cloth seats with existing heating) since the AC sucks.

A bit of googling it appears there’s 4 main parts needed(per seat):
Seat Back Ventilation Bag - Mopar (68362098AB)
Seat Cushion Ventilation Bag - Mopar (68362099AC)
Seat Back Blower - Mopar (68366263AB)
Seat Cushion Blower - Mopar (68366262AB)
About $200 in parts.

It looks like the “ventilation bags” have the heating element in it, so I would just remove the existing heating elements and install the “ventilation bag” in their place, which I’m guessing would plug right in. The blower motors might be a bit trickier, not sure if the connectors would be there or not. Then I’m guessing you just activate it with alpha OBD, and replace the heated-only switches with heated/vented switches on the console.
The other unknown is how well the ventilation will penetrate the fabric seat, vs the perforated leather.
I'd be interested on how this turns out if you're able to get this to work. I've been looking around for pre-owned power seats for my manual cloth Tradesman, but I'm not having any luck...the ones I am finding are ridiculously overpriced, IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread