Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I Searched....

thestuarts

Reaction score
Good Morning All! I am new here but not a newbie lol!
So here is my question/ story.... I have searched this forum but no luck. So I am in the process of shopping for a RAM 2500 6.4L. The one I am looking at has a Payload of 2956 lbs. That being said I also am looking at buying a slide-in popup truck camper with a wet weight of ( my gear, food, and all fluids) 2700lbs. That will include a trailer tongue weight of 250 lbs. I will have room to spear in terms of weight! Now I was told by a member of Expedition Portal that the RAM coil spring rear suspension is not designed for a Truck Camper and it will "SWAY A LOT"!
Can this be verified? Is that statement true? Does someone on this forum have a similar setup? Any pics of your set-up or real-world experience replies will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

HDHP

I recommend you watch this video. The entire video is worth watching, but the relevant part begins at 5:40.

HDHP

Reaction score
I recommend you watch this video. The entire video is worth watching, but the relevant part begins at 5:40.

Thanks theturats! Awesome Video! Great Info. However, Not all RAM 2500 have a payload of 1500 -1800 lbs The Power Wagon and some configurations do. The heavier that truck the less payload it will have. A Cummins Diesel with trans is about 300 lbs more than the 6.4L w/ 8 speed.

HDHP
Dude spits knowledge and then shows his truck with an intercooler blocking light bar.

:confused:
Right! But I'm not interested in the motor... LOL

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
An overlanding camp trailer would probably be better than a slip in for this scenario. With that the payload Police will be happy and the trailer can have it's own suspension without making the TV top heavy. Pintle hook setup and send it.

HDHP

Reaction score
An overlanding camp trailer would probably be better than a slip in for this scenario. With that the payload Police will be happy and the trailer can have it's own suspension without making the TV top heavy. Pintle hook setup and send it.
Nope, can't do that setup.... I have CR450 and a Quad I am going to pull behind my set-up sry

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Dude spits knowledge and then shows his truck with an intercooler blocking light bar.

In my bumper research, I see many aftermarket bumper blocking that cooler. And they supposedly are for the 2019+ RAM 2500/3500 trucks.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Works fine on a gasser but on the CTD it's in your best interest to have as cool as possible charge air temperature feeding the intake manifold. I would bet that the ECM has temperature parameters and algorithms to increase torque management and reduce power once temps break thresholds like any modern OBD gas set-up gets.

Ram styling had to work with engineering to adapt their largest ever radiator and cooling area for the 19+. Seems silly to reverse that progress, but that's just me. I like all muh pulling torquz available at all times.

thestuarts

Reaction score
Thanks theturats! Awesome Video! Great Info. However, Not all RAM 2500 have a payload of 1500 -1800 lbs The Power Wagon and some configurations do. The heavier that truck the less payload it will have. A Cummins Diesel with trans is about 300 lbs more than the 6.4L w/ 8 speed.

HDHP

Right! But I'm not interested in the motor... LOL

The Payload is only one thing to consider. As Cole explained in the video, the 2500 trucks use coil springs in the rear. They give a comfortable ride, but they are too soft for a camper, especially if you max out the payload because there won't be any suspension travel left. Get a 3500 without air bags if you want a camper.

thestuarts

Reaction score

In another video, Cole explains why the light bar doesn't block the air flow enough to impact the way he uses the truck. He never tows or hauls anything, for example. He also removed the plastic air skirt and installed a custom intercooler guard that allows more air flow from under the bumper.

There are gaps on the side of the light bar for air flow, but it would not be good for towing for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread