Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I Searched....

HDHP

Reaction score
Good Morning All! I am new here but not a newbie lol!
So here is my question/ story.... I have searched this forum but no luck. So I am in the process of shopping for a RAM 2500 6.4L. The one I am looking at has a Payload of 2956 lbs. That being said I also am looking at buying a slide-in popup truck camper with a wet weight of ( my gear, food, and all fluids) 2700lbs. That will include a trailer tongue weight of 250 lbs. I will have room to spear in terms of weight! Now I was told by a member of Expedition Portal that the RAM coil spring rear suspension is not designed for a Truck Camper and it will "SWAY A LOT"!
Can this be verified? Is that statement true? Does someone on this forum have a similar setup? Any pics of your set-up or real-world experience replies will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

HDHP

Pronto

Reaction score
If you weigh more than 256 lbs or carry a passenger or just about anything else in your cab or bed, you'll be over. Why not go with a 3500 rather than put yourself at the extreme end of the payload capacity?

Mat_HD

Reaction score
The way I understand it, the leafs on the 3500s are mounted closer to the wheels which will give more sway stability.

I agree with the above posted, you really should be looking for a 3500 if your camper weight is that close to payload. Those are very slim margins.

HDHP

Reaction score
If you weigh more than 256 lbs or carry a passenger or just about anything else in your cab or bed, you'll be over. Why not go with a 3500 rather than put yourself at the extreme end of the payload capacity?
The weights given were with me and all my gear. Sry I did not say my weight was included...

Mat_HD

Reaction score
You could probably add aftermarket airbags outboard of the coils to add some stability. Seems like you should be OK with the 2500 if those weights are with EVERYTHING that you're ever planning to carry.

HDHP

Reaction score
I know the weight will not be an issue! What I am asking is there any people who have this set up that have Swaying issues? Or Is the statement true that...

"The rear coil spring suspension is not designed for a slide-in truck camper"

Thanks

HDHP

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Let us look at this. The info at Expedition Portal is not wrong. The coil springs can handle the weight...but they are further in from the wheel and do allow for sway with top heavy loads.

First. I agree with @Pronto. Just get a 3500 and be safer.

But since you asked, let us look at what you got going with the 2500.

10k GVWR. 2956 Payload. So a base weight of 7044.

A gas truck has a weight ratio of 60/40.

So empty your axle weights will be 4226 front and 2817 rear.

Front axle is 5500 and rear is 6000.

So 2817 and 2700 is 5517. That is real close to axle rating. You do not want to be there if you are going offroad. And this is before you load into the cab. You will be over...and way over GVWR...but that numbers gets all kinds of opinions on 2500.

The 3500...well that increases your overall capacity about 1000lbs as it has a 7000lb rear axle.

Skip the 2500. Go 3500 and have some wiggle room.

And people are always unpleasantly surprised when they actually go weigh. You are sure 2700 is fully loaded slide in camper?

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Another question. Just to be sure. 6.4l HEMI 4x4 crew Cab 6'4 Bed?

Or is this a long bed?

Surely not a Powerwagon?

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
And so you are saying you scaled the truck. With you and the camper is weighed 9744ish pounds?

But again to answer your question. The coils are located further in on the axle and will cause sway with a top heavy load

Is your camper one of the ones that go over the cab? Is it a full height or a pop up top?

These answers would definitely be helpful in guiding your decision.

HDHP

Reaction score
Thanks for your analyst of my question DevilDodge!
The total weight of 2700 lbs is with an exaggerated gear weight of 350lbs. (More like 180-200) And I am not going to be towing my trailer (200 lbs tongue weight all the time)
This truck is going to be my daily driver also so I kinda want to stay with a RAM 2500. Does the 3500 RAM have leaf spring rear suspension?

HDHP

HDHP

Reaction score
Another question. Just to be sure. 6.4l HEMI 4x4 crew Cab 6'4 Bed?

Or is this a long bed?

Surely not a Powerwagon?
Correct! NOT a PW! Those have a payload of only 1500 lbs what a Joke!

RV_Goose

Reaction score
Thanks for your analyst of my question DevilDodge!
The total weight of 2700 lbs is with an exaggerated gear weight of 350lbs. (More like 180-200) And I am not going to be towing my trailer (200 lbs tongue weight all the time)
This truck is going to be my daily driver also so I kinda want to stay with a RAM 2500. Does the 3500 RAM have leaf spring rear suspension?

HDH

3500 have leaf springs for SRW and DRW.

jadmt

Reaction score
air bags. I have a 2020 PW and i weighed my truck with full tank of gas and it has Toyo 35's on AEV wheels and I have a tranny skid plate and added running boards and it Weighs 6950 lbs. I bought a set of daystar cradles and just need to order a set of air bags. Hard to have the nice smooth ride of the PW and the payload of the 3500 but it sure would be nice to have both :).

jadmt

Reaction score
Good Morning All! I am new here but not a newbie lol!
So here is my question/ story.... I have searched this forum but no luck. So I am in the process of shopping for a RAM 2500 6.4L. The one I am looking at has a Payload of 2956 lbs. That being said I also am looking at buying a slide-in popup truck camper with a wet weight of ( my gear, food, and all fluids) 2700lbs. That will include a trailer tongue weight of 250 lbs. I will have room to spear in terms of weight! Now I was told by a member of Expedition Portal that the RAM coil spring rear suspension is not designed for a Truck Camper and it will "SWAY A LOT"!
Can this be verified? Is that statement true? Does someone on this forum have a similar setup? Any pics of your set-up or real-world experience replies will be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

HDHP
what camper are you looking at?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
A 2500 is a fine choice for your setup, i would add airbags just for the added stability the coils sit 5” inward of where the leafs would sit per side (10” total) so you may have an issue if its a rather tall slide in camper but the airbags sit where the leafs would so that will add the stability you require if you feel the sway is bad enough to need them

HDHP

Reaction score
And so you are saying you scaled the truck. With you and the camper is weighed 9744ish pounds?

But again to answer your question. The coils are located further in on the axle and will cause sway with a top heavy load

Is your camper one of the ones that go over the cab? Is it a full height or a pop up top?

These answers would definitely be helpful in guiding your decision.
Did not scale the Truck/Camper I do not have it yet. I am going by the weight on the camper tag and exaggerating the weights of my gear and myself to the higher side. It will be a Pop-up camper, Over the cab but not fully over, CG is 37' but not sure where they measure it from. Probably from the floor of the camper.

HDHP

Users who are viewing this thread