Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am so confused about the trailer camera options

Frank

Reaction score
I kind of feel like that too. If I am ever backing one, someone will be there to guide anyways. The only time I could see it useful is if you are backing up a little bit at the gas station or something and want to make sure no one is behind you.

Trust me, they will move. If they are hanging out 3 ft behind a trailer at a pump they deserve whatever comes their way.

I like the cargo camera and backup camera a lot, especially being able to check on things while driving. I also love the top down camera view which requires you get em all except the trailer cam. I've backed into some VERY tight spaces with a trailer. For me, I know where to put the trailer the issue is how far out can I turn the truck without scraping this tree?

On the topic of backing a TT, skip the technology. When you get to camp, pull to the side of the road your site is on. Then pull past the site and put the truck on the opposite side of the road so the trailer is angled a bit towards your site. Get out, look at things. and drop a couple sticks on the path you need the trailer axles to take, to the inside of where you are turning. If you are real fancy you can use those bright orange jack pads you will be buying for the trailer. Now just back her up, and turn the wheel more less so you are hitting your marks. If you have a really bad site with obstacles on the outside of your turn, have your spotter over there just for that purpose and to make sure your slideouts clear it. People on the internet like to make a big deal out of how hard it is to back a TT, how much they argued with their spouse during it, yadda yadda yadda. It's not. It gets easier the longer you go. Your average bass boat is more difficult. If it was half as hard as some of these people make it out to be, they shouldn't own a TT. Practice this technique for 30 minutes in an empty parking lot with cones and you will be a champ.

jm888

Reaction score
Trust me, they will move. If they are hanging out 3 ft behind a trailer at a pump they deserve whatever comes their way.

I like the cargo camera and backup camera a lot, especially being able to check on things while driving. I also love the top down camera view which requires you get em all except the trailer cam. I've backed into some VERY tight spaces with a trailer. For me, I know where to put the trailer the issue is how far out can I turn the truck without scraping this tree?

On the topic of backing a TT, skip the technology. When you get to camp, pull to the side of the road your site is on. Then pull past the site and put the truck on the opposite side of the road so the trailer is angled a bit towards your site. Get out, look at things. and drop a couple sticks on the path you need the trailer axles to take, to the inside of where you are turning. If you are real fancy you can use those bright orange jack pads you will be buying for the trailer. Now just back her up, and turn the wheel more less so you are hitting your marks. If you have a really bad site with obstacles on the outside of your turn, have your spotter over there just for that purpose and to make sure your slideouts clear it. People on the internet like to make a big deal out of how hard it is to back a TT, how much they argued with their spouse during it, yadda yadda yadda. It's not. It gets easier the longer you go. Your average bass boat is more difficult. If it was half as hard as some of these people make it out to be, they shouldn't own a TT. Practice this technique for 30 minutes in an empty parking lot with cones and you will be a champ.
Now if it shows the front of the truck, that does sound useful, because as you said that is usually the issue where the front of the truck will swing. It sounds like I have been doing it right because I swing out the way you said with my small trailer now. Everyone says backing a bigger trailer is easier and although the biggest thing I have backed is about a 24' boat, the hardest thing I have had to back is a jet ski because it goes all over the place! I guess I should look forward to getting a 30' travel trailer as it will probably be even easier, minus the front end truck swing.

Frank

Reaction score
Now if it shows the front of the truck, that does sound useful, because as you said that is usually the issue where the front of the truck will swing. It sounds like I have been doing it right because I swing out the way you said with my small trailer now. Everyone says backing a bigger trailer is easier and although the biggest thing I have backed is about a 24' boat, the hardest thing I have had to back is a jet ski because it goes all over the place! I guess I should look forward to getting a 30' travel trailer as it will probably be even easier, minus the front end truck swing.

It's a bird's eye view of the whole truck patched together from the cameras. With a second window next to it (at least on the 12" screen) that can show the front grill in regular or wide angle. I have surround view pinned to the bottom of the screen, it's the most often used button in my truck. The TT will be easier due to length, but it will also be easier because you don't have a long straightaway like you do at a boat ramp. I've pulled and launched literally a hundred different boats when I worked in the industry and my 16 ft knock around fishing boat still gives me fits sometimes. The only issue I ever had with the camper was my old half ton not having enough power for good throttle response while backing, never an issue with the CTD.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Trailer surround view has been announced for the 2022 trucks... There's a post here about it.

Sent from my work avoidance device

tacoready

Reaction score

Sorry for the late reply but wanted to thank you for this tip. We have experience backing boats together and have our hand signals figured out. Marriage is intact. This trailer backing is just weird when you first try it but I'm confident in the captain. He liked the idea of marking the path. Thanks!

BigRamfan

Reaction score
All trucks wired with a trailer tow prep have a 7-pin/4-pin for trailer connections. Lights, + brakes and power on the 7-pin (also provides a reverse light pin).

Aux Trailer Camera prep uses a 7-pin/12-pin. The 12-pin is for the Trailer camera option. The truck comes with a 7-pin to 4-pin adapter for trailer lights if needed.

The trailer prep is the TRUCK side. Hooks UConnect AUX1 and AUX2 cameras to the 12-pin at the bumper + bed for 5th wheel prep trucks.

@jm888 The RV industry "camera prep" is simply a housing and power for a Furrion wireless camera.

Without lots of aftermarket parts, you wouldn't be able to use an off the shelf wireless camera with the factory camera prep or Uconnect screen- it's a wired system.
Thank you for this excellent answer. I have a Ram 3500 Megacab on order and had the same question regarding the Ram camera prep system. I did order the auxiliary trailer prep package just to be on the safe side. My current fifth wheel has a Furrion wireless camera system, it works ok but would be much nicer not to have an additional video screen on the dash .

3500guy

Reaction score
For me having the wired cam on the back of the 5th wheel and the digital rear view through the mirror was the cats ass. It took a couple of hours to run and secure the hard wire coax under the trailer but was worth the effort. I've had some issues with loosing the camera view while traveling usually about an hour into the trip. Toggle the mirror switch between normal view and digital and it comes back on again. Dealer replaced the plug at the bumper which turned out not to be the issue. They supplied me with a new coax cable which I installed yesterday. Fingers crossed that corrects the problem.

Randy Stickrod

Reaction score
Hello all! Newby here. We have a ’22 Ram 3500 and purchased the trailer rear view camera option. We had issues with the camera system the other day. When we unplugged the cable, the pin came out of the receptacle on the bumper. Can this be repaired? If not, I need to replace the part on the bumper. Does anyone know the part number of what I need?

Brewmark

Reaction score
Half Borrego Springs, Ca. Half McCall, Idaho
Randy,
Mopar P/N: 68508681AA
I had to order one as mine was intermittent and trying ti fix that ,I broke the middle pin. Ordered one a ND it has worked perfectly since. Well it doesn't always switch automatically when connected. Easy to tell mirror to go to trailer camera though.
25dba04199e3d4f4935f7833f8992d56.jpg

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

Brewmark

Reaction score
Half Borrego Springs, Ca. Half McCall, Idaho
Hello all! Newby here. We have a ’22 Ram 3500 and purchased the trailer rear view camera option. We had issues with the camera system the other day. When we unplugged the cable, the pin came out of the receptacle on the bumper. Can this be repaired? If not, I need to replace the part on the bumper. Does anyone know the part number of what I need?
Randy,
Mopar P/N: 68508681AA
I had to order one as mine was intermittent and trying ti fix that ,I broke the middle pin. Ordered one and it has worked perfectly since. No intemitancy.
Well it doesn't always switch automatically when connected. Easy to tell mirror to go to trailer camera though.
ed9a8400779a7b45d2c191d8f87379c4.jpg

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Are there aftermarket cameras that will work with the 12 pin aux trailer wiring kit (XFQ option)?
Any analog camera will work on AUX2 on 20-22*
Also AUX1 on 20, 21.
I believe 22 with surround requires the trailer surround CVPM.

However, you will need to build a custom harness.

Only the digital cameras require OEM.

Users who are viewing this thread