Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I am so confused about the trailer camera options

jm888

Reaction score
Even after reading some of the threads here, I am still confused. I am going to order a truck and will be getting a travel trailer in the next year or two. It looks like all of the new travel trailers have a spot for a camera in the back and prewired for it. I don't really know how that works, but it sounds like most people get a Furion camera with a separate monitor. Can someone explain in simple terms how it would work with the screen in a Ram? I know they offer the trailer camera prep wiring for like $500, but then do you have to buy the Mopar camera and run a wire all the way from the back of the trailer and plug it into the truck? So are the only options for a trailer camera to either have wireless with a separate monitor or wired with the truck's screen? The only reason I am worrying about this now is to see if I am going to regret not adding on the trailer camera wiring option but then if I have to buy a camera anyways, it is not something that would be used that often anyways, so maybe it is not even worth it.

keentech

Reaction score
I'm of the mindset that I don't want additional monitors. I would prefer having everything integrated into the truck to retain the stock feel. If I had placed a factory order, I would have selected both the trailer camera wiring prep and the trailer TPMS. I am currently researching how, and talking with a few Mopar vendors to determine if I can add these on after market. Currently none of the components are available for the 2021 based on searching through Mopar part sites. If I did it all over again, I would place a factory order and get these options and the Aux switches as well.

jm888

Reaction score
Since you seem to know something about this, if I do order the camera prep, what exactly does that do? Does it just include some wiring back to the trailer connector, and then do you need a specific wired Mopar camera that is compatible?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Honestly i dont see the need for a camera for the trailer i have the option in my truck but i cant see myself using it

jm888

Reaction score
Honestly i dont see the need for a camera for the trailer i have the option in my truck but i cant see myself using it
I kind of feel like that too. If I am ever backing one, someone will be there to guide anyways. The only time I could see it useful is if you are backing up a little bit at the gas station or something and want to make sure no one is behind you.

keentech

Reaction score
Since you seem to know something about this, if I do order the camera prep, what exactly does that do? Does it just include some wiring back to the trailer connector, and then do you need a specific wired Mopar camera that is compatible?
I only know what others have shared and googling it, you are correct, from my understanding the prep provides additional cabling at the bumper and replaces a 4 pin trailer connection with a 7 pin connection. You then would need to purchase a Mopar trailer camera kit which comes with a camera and cabling that would need to be installed on your trailer(s). The prep would also ensure your vehicle is programmed to know what to do with the video feed.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I only know what others have shared and googling it, you are correct, from my understanding the prep provides additional cabling at the bumper and replaces a 4 pin trailer connection with a 7 pin connection. You then would need to purchase a Mopar trailer camera kit which comes with a camera and cabling that would need to be installed on your trailer(s). The prep would also ensure your vehicle is programmed to know what to do with the video feed.

All trucks wired with a trailer tow prep have a 7-pin/4-pin for trailer connections. Lights, + brakes and power on the 7-pin (also provides a reverse light pin).

Aux Trailer Camera prep uses a 7-pin/12-pin. The 12-pin is for the Trailer camera option. The truck comes with a 7-pin to 4-pin adapter for trailer lights if needed.

The trailer prep is the TRUCK side. Hooks UConnect AUX1 and AUX2 cameras to the 12-pin at the bumper + bed for 5th wheel prep trucks.

@jm888 The RV industry "camera prep" is simply a housing and power for a Furrion wireless camera.

Without lots of aftermarket parts, you wouldn't be able to use an off the shelf wireless camera with the factory camera prep or Uconnect screen- it's a wired system.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
All trucks wired with a trailer tow prep have a 7-pin/4-pin for trailer connections. Lights, + brakes and power on the 7-pin (also provides a reverse light pin).

Aux Trailer Camera prep uses a 7-pin/12-pin. The 12-pin is for the Trailer camera option. The truck comes with a 7-pin to 4-pin adapter for trailer lights if needed.

The trailer prep is the TRUCK side. Hooks UConnect AUX1 and AUX2 cameras to the 12-pin at the bumper + bed for 5th wheel prep trucks.

@jm888 The RV industry "camera prep" is simply a housing and power for a Furrion wireless camera.

Without lots of aftermarket parts, you wouldn't be able to use an off the shelf wireless camera with the factory camera prep or Uconnect screen- it's a wired system.
Interesting i never got the 7-4 adapter with my truck i had to use on of the 10 i have around my house

THC1

Reaction score
Even after reading some of the threads here, I am still confused. I am going to order a truck and will be getting a travel trailer in the next year or two. It looks like all of the new travel trailers have a spot for a camera in the back and prewired for it. I don't really know how that works, but it sounds like most people get a Furion camera with a separate monitor. Can someone explain in simple terms how it would work with the screen in a Ram? I know they offer the trailer camera prep wiring for like $500, but then do you have to buy the Mopar camera and run a wire all the way from the back of the trailer and plug it into the truck? So are the only options for a trailer camera to either have wireless with a separate monitor or wired with the truck's screen? The only reason I am worrying about this now is to see if I am going to regret not adding on the trailer camera wiring option but then if I have to buy a camera anyways, it is not something that would be used that often anyways, so maybe it is not even worth it.
Just my .02 cents on this......I have a TT with the camera location in the very back you mention. Would it be kinda cool to see behind my camper when backing up? Sure.....is it worth $500 bucks, a new camera and the hassle to install. Not to me! I passed on that but did get the surround view tow technology.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Just my .02 cents on this......I have a TT with the camera location in the very back you mention. Would it be kinda cool to see behind my camper when backing up? Sure.....is it worth $500 bucks, a new camera and the hassle to install. Not to me! I passed on that but did get the surround view tow technology.
The only reason i would use one is when hooking up my deck boat to the back of the camper cant hand bomb the boat on the hitch of the camper

GBB

Reaction score
Rear camera came on trailer I purchased three years ago with monitor that sits on dash all wireless. It’s pretty handy when in heavy traffic. I like it. With that said, I wouldn’t order one on a truck, being a separate unit would be easier to fix or replace.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score

jm888

Reaction score
I think I agree with that too. Seems like it would be nice to have but not worth over $500. Plus, it sounds like you would have to run a wire from the back of the trailer up to the lights connector on the truck, right?

As far as the towing tech package, I am still trying to figure out how helpful that is. I watched videos of it online and I see how it show both the right and left view down the back of the truck and trailer from the mirror mounted cameras. Looks cool, but isn't that the same thing you would see if you look in the mirrors? Is it really worth $2500 (in a Big Horn)?

THC1

Reaction score
I think I agree with that too. Seems like it would be nice to have but not worth over $500. Plus, it sounds like you would have to run a wire from the back of the trailer up to the lights connector on the truck, right?

As far as the towing tech package, I am still trying to figure out how helpful that is. I watched videos of it online and I see how it show both the right and left view down the back of the truck and trailer from the mirror mounted cameras. Looks cool, but isn't that the same thing you would see if you look in the mirrors? Is it really worth $2500 (in a Big Horn)

Wow that is steep, I ordered a Laramie and the package was 875.

jm888

Reaction score
Wow that is steep, I ordered a Laramie and the package was 875.
Yes, it is much cheaper in the Laramie so for that price I think it wouldn't hurt, but is there more to it that I am missing? Are you seeing more than what you would see in the mirrors?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yes, it is much cheaper in the Laramie so for that price I think it wouldn't hurt, but is there more to it that I am missing? Are you seeing more than what you would see in the mirrors?
For me just the cargo cam would be worth it but if your not gonna need it its not worth it

jm888

Reaction score
Gooseneck more so but helps with a 5thwheel also yes
Ok that is good to know. I will only be pulling bumper mounts so I probably won't have much use for the cargo camera, but I can see why it would be great for a gooseneck.

Users who are viewing this thread