Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hunting thread

waveslayer

Reaction score
Opening morning , about 2 hours into my AZ hunt.
9b03fec3c13c5401e31ff9bd79ffab32.jpg

Sent from my SM-S916U using Tapatalk

ppine

Reaction score
Waveslayer,
His antlers look like firewood. Totally freakish. Have you scored him yet? My Dad had a ranch in Arizona SE of Flag for 30 years. We saw enormous elk pretty often. I hunted them only once or twice because I lived out of state. I live in Nevada now and we have some huge bulls too. Smaller herds, but remoteness grows some giant animals. Last time in the Jarbidge Wilderness area a guy shot a 407 scored B&C bull. I really like yours, because I have never seen one like. Congratulations.

waveslayer

Reaction score
No score yet, His main beams are smaller then what we saw, but the freakish nature was hard to pass up. I'll get him scored once I get the horns dried out. The mass was incredibleIMG_0745.jpg

areuriding

Reaction score
View attachment 65320
View attachment 65321

View attachment 65322
Nothing but long distance views. Not sure if these represent all 3 large herds as I'm on the phone, but the smallest was 60 head, another 200, and a 3rd 400-500 animals.

Landlocked on private lands or no access BLM and state trust lands.

Closest we've gotten is 2000 yds.

One area is an outfitter private ranch surrounding blm and those corksoakers are illegally wrangling the herd and getting away with it.
Yeah, I hate greedy land owners like that! There should always be a way to access BLM lands even if the GOV has to pay a public trespass fee.

ppine

Reaction score
Anyone can hunt on public land. All you need is a license.

areuriding

Reaction score
Anyone can hunt on public land. All you need is a license.
I know that? I need a place that sells over the counter to non resident hunters so I don't wait years to draw a tag. Then I need a could idea of an area to hunt, someone with knowledge so I don't go in blindly.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
CO non-res Elk is $760.

OTC areas are a tough, low harvest rate slog.

CO has a ton of resources, GMU maps, harvest rates, etc.

areuriding

Reaction score
What game are you looking for? And where, like which state?
Deer, whitetail or mule pretty much any state outside of Va. Just bought a new rifle I'm wantin ton try this fall, Fierce Rival in 28 Nosler.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I know that? I need a place that sells over the counter to non resident hunters so I don't wait years to draw a tag. Then I need a could idea of an area to hunt, someone with knowledge so I don't go in blindly.

Deer, whitetail or mule pretty much any state outside of Va. Just bought a new rifle I'm wantin ton try this fall, Fierce Rival in 28 Nosler.

Ahh, I figured you were talking bigger game out west in the mountains.

I'm in Kansas. Plenty of deer here but you have to draw for tags. We can buy as many tags as we want for $35 or less but we punish out of staters just like most other states do.

Pretty sure Missouri is still a good deal for non residents. OTC whitetail tags and lots of public land. If you knock on enough doors, probably still plenty of Midwestern landowners that would let you bow hunt, maybe not so much during rifle season but who knows. Their rifle season is usually during the rut too, usually roughly the last half of November.

areuriding

Reaction score
Ahh, I figured you were talking bigger game out west in the mountains.

I'm in Kansas. Plenty of deer here but you have to draw for tags. We can buy as many tags as we want for $35 or less but we punish out of staters just like most other states do.

Pretty sure Missouri is still a good deal for non residents. OTC whitetail tags and lots of public land. If you knock on enough doors, probably still plenty of Midwestern landowners that would let you bow hunt, maybe not so much during rifle season but who knows. Their rifle season is usually during the rut too, usually roughly the last half of November.
Thanks for the info, I'll start there....

Users who are viewing this thread