Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to add 3rd brake light to a topper on 2020 2500?

jadmt

Reaction score
I installed a Softopper and of course they do not come with a 3rd brake light. I bought a 3rd led brake light but not sure how to wire up. I thought I could just plug it in to my 4 way but that does not work because the blinkers and brake light are the same circuit.

jadmt

Reaction score
I should add I want to be able to quick disconnect the brake light when I remove the top which is something I will do fairly often.

jadmt

Reaction score
found what I needed. Ram provides a wire just for what I wanted..

Distillusion

Reaction score
Did this a few years ago on my 1500. The spare wire was under the bed, and I just ran it up behind the tail light assembly, along with a good ground, came out one of the top holes in the bed witha 2-pin trailer connector. With the2500, the in-bed trailer wiring for goosenecks/fifth wheels is a better solution, I just built a cable with the right connector. I used a 12-inch LED light on the Softopper, which draws only a small amount of power.

jadmt

Reaction score
$12 light off amazon used magnets to hold it on.

Attachments

• 36C5783E-A3F1-4DC4-9C72-CA0BD68C89AE_1_201_a.jpeg
    36C5783E-A3F1-4DC4-9C72-CA0BD68C89AE_1_201_a.jpeg
    421.7 KB · Views: 18

Distillusion

Reaction score
Nice! I used a similar light from Amazon. Made holes for the screw mounts and the wire, sealed it all up with a light silicone coat, and put it up high. Wire loom runs inside along the frame.

DSCN3166.JPG

jadmt

Reaction score
Nice! I used a similar light from Amazon. Made holes for the screw mounts and the wire, sealed it all up with a light silicone coat, and put it up high. Wire loom runs inside along the frame.

View attachment 8878
I thought about that but could not bring myself to poking holes in my brand new top. Maybe when the newness wears off I will go that route. Those little magnets are crazy strong.

Attachments

• 934A0324-E422-444F-BBA2-026F9CD62254_1_201_a.jpeg
    934A0324-E422-444F-BBA2-026F9CD62254_1_201_a.jpeg
    147.4 KB · Views: 6
  • 83D7D27D-885F-4875-B839-13CECFF9646F_1_201_a.jpeg
    83D7D27D-885F-4875-B839-13CECFF9646F_1_201_a.jpeg
    211 KB · Views: 5

Distillusion

Reaction score
I thought about that but could not bring myself to poking holes in my brand new top. Maybe when the newness wears off I will go that route. Those little magnets are crazy strong.
I didn't want to do it, either. But I definitely wanted it up and out of the way. I did use tarp grommets in the holes to add strength around the holes and prevent future tearing. And stainless screws. I could have used magnets way up there, I guess. It's a good idea. You'd still have to get the wiring inside up there, which would make for a long, odd run.

I never considered anything but a permanent attachment so that it couldn't be knocked off. I leave the topper on that truck most of the time, even if it's folded down, and it gets bumped a lot when folded down. I've only popped it off the side pins and removed it a couple of times in 5 years, when I had to haul really wide stuff and wanted maximum space. I've never taken off the rails.

I don't know about you. I get vibration in mine at upwards of 85mph, just at the location of the door flap across the tailgate. It doesn't leak water, so I never put the tailgate velcro patches on to secure that. Didn't want to attach them to the paint. Mine's lasted 5 years of frequent use, so it's probably okay without them.

The only annoyance is that when it's folded, dust and dirt get on the insides of the windows. And you can't get to them to clean them without unfolding it. At 6'6" tall and 62 years old, it's a pain to crawl into the bed with the top up just to clean the windows. I probably should have bought the boot for it. :)

jadmt

Reaction score
I didn't want to do it, either. But I definitely wanted it up and out of the way. I did use tarp grommets in the holes to add strength around the holes and prevent future tearing. And stainless screws. I could have used magnets way up there, I guess. It's a good idea. You'd still have to get the wiring inside up there, which would make for a long, odd run.

I never considered anything but a permanent attachment so that it couldn't be knocked off. I leave the topper on that truck most of the time, even if it's folded down, and it gets bumped a lot when folded down. I've only popped it off the side pins and removed it a couple of times in 5 years, when I had to haul really wide stuff and wanted maximum space. I've never taken off the rails.

I don't know about you. I get vibration in mine at upwards of 85mph, just at the location of the door flap across the tailgate. It doesn't leak water, so I never put the tailgate velcro patches on to secure that. Didn't want to attach them to the paint. Mine's lasted 5 years of frequent use, so it's probably okay without them.

The only annoyance is that when it's folded, dust and dirt get on the insides of the windows. And you can't get to them to clean them without unfolding it. At 6'6" tall and 62 years old, it's a pain to crawl into the bed with the top up just to clean the windows. I probably should have bought the boot for it. :)
It really is a shame that Softopper does not have a 3rd brake light from the factory. At least give people the option.

Distillusion

Reaction score
It really is a shame that Softopper does not have a 3rd brake light from the factory. At least give people the option.
Agreed. It's what I would do. And supply a kit with wire, instructions on where to connect, a bed-mounted jack for quick disconnect, and an optional adapter for those that might have in-bed trailer wiring.

Users who are viewing this thread