Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much weight before you use tow/haul mode?

DRAGRAM

Reaction score
Honestly, I would have to say that the EB is way more agressive with the Tow Haul engauged, DURING A PANIC STOP. So I try not to get caught without it. I only pull 10,000 pounds so I would expect this would be even more important with heavier Trailers. On the other hand I really like the way it pulls in Tow Haul except for one thing. I need to get to 66 MPH to get into 6th gear. And many times I really do not plan on being there any time soon. And I can't stand the truck running in 5th when it pulls just fine in 6th. So, I find myself many times at 62 MPH reaching down and disabling Tow Haul, and then re enabling it after it shifts up. It will stay in 6th with Tow Haul on once it's INTO 6th and stays above 60 MPH. It would be nice if there was a time element programmed in. So it would shift up if you have run so long in 5th and are above 60. In stead of running for ever in that state. I need to learn how to write software.............

loveracing1988

Reaction score
Honestly, I would have to say that the EB is way more agressive with the Tow Haul engauged, DURING A PANIC STOP. So I try not to get caught without it. I only pull 10,000 pounds so I would expect this would be even more important with heavier Trailers. On the other hand I really like the way it pulls in Tow Haul except for one thing. I need to get to 66 MPH to get into 6th gear. And many times I really do not plan on being there any time soon. And I can't stand the truck running in 5th when it pulls just fine in 6th. So, I find myself many times at 62 MPH reaching down and disabling Tow Haul, and then re enabling it after it shifts up. It will stay in 6th with Tow Haul on once it's INTO 6th and stays above 60 MPH. It would be nice if there was a time element programmed in. So it would shift up if you have run so long in 5th and are above 60. In stead of running for ever in that state. I need to learn how to write software.............
Exactly why I want 4.10 gears...

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I generally turn TH on around 4K lbs, but driving conditions can vary that a little.

Cseybert

Reaction score
On my 2019, 2500 I used it at any weight. And it worked fine. On the 22 Laramie high output 3500 DRW. I only use it over 10,000 pounds exhaust brake on auto all the time. It doesn’t seem to shift as well as the 2500 if I have it in tow haul mode under 10,000. It seems to grab third kind of hard, no matter the pedal position or force.

rudyyoko

Reaction score
I pulled a 34ft, 9k lbs 5th wheel starting out on flat terrain, then went across the blue ridge park way in virgina/north carolina. The exhaust brake was in auto, and the truck was not in tow haul. No hunting for gears and only down shifted once from 6th gear to 5th on a steeper incline. I put it in 5th gear when I saw that it was going to be a long incline, but the truck was doing fine. My ram is a 2500 with a 6.7 cummins and a 3.73 gear set.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I will add that trailer profile plays a huge role in the effort the truck needs to put out, and thus the benefits of TH.

On flat ground a 15K dump trailer will tow easier than a 5K TT, but in the hills that’s a different story.

Users who are viewing this thread