Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How much sag before you need airbags?

Reaction score
Finally got everything setup and hooked up for towing my 5th wheel.
Seems I have about 5 inches of sag when hooked up. I am pretty much empty and expect another 1200-1500 lbs in the RV.
Pulled the rig to a temp storage lot while I get everything setup. Pulled pretty well and felt Ok while driving.

How much sag warrants a set of airbags?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You dont want a factory truck to sit much lower than level so you dont blind oncoming traffic

whitexc

Reaction score
Truck model/trim/payload info and trailer info?

Curious as this is the path I am headed down as we speak. What hitch did you install?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
You dont want a factory truck to sit much lower than level so you dont blind oncoming traffic
Funny thing is, the ass end rides higher than the front, unladen.
Im just gonna get some bags, they are only a few 100 bucks.... LOL

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You didnt drop 5” then as its only 3” higher in the back

Reaction score
you may be correct sir.
This is a measuring device. It is 7" tall. This is unhooked stance.
There is 10" from top of tire to bottom of wheel well. Just went out and measured it.

1671551078114.png
this is hitched up and ready to roll.
so, I am only sagging about 2.5"

1671551175111.png

woody284

Reaction score
Picture value looks like you are a little nose high. Looks like you have a long bed so that may take consideration to your offset over a shorter truck. If you air bag it you might be able to take some of the bounce out of it while you travel. My 5ver would bounce hard sometimes when hitting a bump. Also if you do air bag to level you might need to change your hitch height or king pin to keep your camper level. I see no harm in doing so if money is not a factor.

Reaction score
I took the pic and it looked level.... LOL, that is until I transferred the pic to my PC.... Then it looks nose high.
The bottle does not lie like an iPhone....
I just realized I have an egg shaped front tire/wheel and the rear is actually round....... F'N iPhones.....
jeebus......

whitexc

Reaction score
Do you work at Autozone?

LOL

Well, no. Just another guy that loves to spend money and work hard to get away from home for a few days at a time, with kids, in a space smaller than the house. Wtf am I doing!!

As stated, setting my truck up for a new 5er and curious about others setups.

jetrinka

Reaction score
If it doesn't offend your eyes when you look at it and it doesn't offend other drivers eyes via your headlights you're GTG.

Reaction score
Well, no. Just another guy that loves to spend money and work hard to get away from home for a few days at a time, with kids, in a space smaller than the house. Wtf am I doing!!

As stated, setting my truck up for a new 5er and curious about others setups.

Ok, fair enough.
3K payload
14,700 towing
22 2500 gasser 8' box
RV is 39', 10,200 empty
Pin weight is 1900 (and it is)
GVWR is 13,990
Actual weight in pic is about 10,350
My gross according to Cat Scales, is 17,860. I still have about 1700 to 2K lbs of **** to load up....maybe
B&W Patriot 16K hitch.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I took the pic and it looked level.... LOL, that is until I transferred the pic to my PC.... Then it looks nose high.
The bottle does not lie like an iPhone....
I just realized I have an egg shaped front tire/wheel and the rear is actually round....... F'N iPhones.....
jeebus......

It's the camera angle since you're closer to the nose.

That's about how you want it to sit. Airbags at 10-15 psi wouldn't add much to the rear, but would add a bit of stability since they mount outboard of the coil springs.

Big Tom

Reaction score
I would want it level. I added air bags to level mine out. Got them from Amazon.
This picture is before I added the 90 Gallon tank in the bed.

Desert Fox and New truck 1.jpg

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Like your setup.

I'd say you're right in the neighborhood of taking the bags or leaving them. I always liked them and saw no reason not to have them, just a few bucks. I've had them on several 3500's, SRW and DRW, and always appreciated the flexibility. They firm things up on the rear without being harsh. Just to be fair though, I haven't had bags on a Ram yet. My 3500 chassis cab just doesn't squat much. Most of my past experience has been with GM. Don't see why Ram would be much different though.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Like your setup.

I'd say you're right in the neighborhood of taking the bags or leaving them. I always liked them and saw no reason not to have them, just a few bucks. I've had them on several 3500's, SRW and DRW, and always appreciated the flexibility. They firm things up on the rear without being harsh. Just to be fair though, I haven't had bags on a Ram yet. My 3500 chassis cab just doesn't squat much. Most of my past experience has been with GM. Don't see why Ram would be much different though.

I’ve had OEM or aftermarket airbags on all 3 of my Dodge/Ram 3500 SRW’s. I wouldn’t own a truck without them.

SL1

Reaction score
I used timber grove bags on my other ram. They worked great. On my 2021 ram I installed Timbrens and they have been great. I really like them towing. When I’m not towing they ride a bit rougher like the leaf springs use to ride. I like the install them and forget them Concept.

Riccochet

Reaction score
On that truck you could go the cheaper route and get the Air Lift 1000's that fit inside the coil springs. They'll help reduce the sag and stiffen up the rear a good bit. Had them in my last two 1500's and they worked quite well.

Users who are viewing this thread