Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hot Spot while car is off

alval1959

Reaction score
I don't understand why you would use a car as a WiFi connection. Most, if not all, have a smartphone that you already pay for a data plan. So, use your phone for tethering or as a WiFi hotspot for your non cell devices. Why pay for another data plan in your car?

I assume the carrier you use for your phones is something you like and pay for. So...use it!
I have a Ram 3500 promaster camper van and at night we like to stream some TV and use the laptop for various things. I'm paying for unlimited data and would like to use it without running the vehicle so it won't time out and tethering the phone gets spotty and slow.

techman

Reaction score
I have a Ram 3500 promaster camper van and at night we like to stream some TV and use the laptop for various things. I'm paying for unlimited data and would like to use it without running the vehicle so it won't time out and tethering the phone gets spotty and slow.
What are the tethering allowances on your phone plan? You need to read the details as some do restrict tethering speeds and data caps. Unlimited these days doesn't mean much.

Drew M

Reaction score
I often have to work when at the lake. Customer emergencies, standing project meetings, etc.

I know others that ghost work remote or are business owners and not officially on PTO.

For some, it's the nature of our job. Modern day PTO not PTO.

There are also those that work and RV full time.

IOW, too many assumptions on how others live their lives seems to be the bigger problem.
Before retiring, I too had to "be available", even on vacation. Luckily, most of my other senior leaders understood this and would only reach out in extreme emergencies. During these "oh s***" moments, it was understood all actions would be verbal, and I would follow up with written documentation when I returned. My techs would call either just to give me a heads up or approval. When we were bought out, the new company wasn't as flexible and were uber micromanagers. So I would change my PTO to full work day. My regional director didn't like it, but it was what it was.
And you are correct, PTO today is not the same as PTO back in the day...

alval1959

Reaction score
What are the tethering allowances on your phone plan? You need to read the details as some do restrict tethering speeds and data caps. Unlimited these days doesn't mean much.
I did tethering in my last RV and had a lot of buffering issues and that got old fast so I installed a pepwave and pointing antenna by Mobile Must Have which was very good but also expensive and the plan was not cheap. I'm trying to avoid that because we are no longer full time RVer's but travel for month at a time and the plan AT&T offered was priced right so I purchased that before I realized the power issue with the current system. If that system could be powered up for a few hours that would be fine because I have solar panels and a generator to recharge the batteries ,it's something Ram and Winnebago should have thought of , it would be a good selling feature.

techman

Reaction score
If cell service is problematic for your WiFi needs while "off the grid" then Elon's Starlink is the only way to go.

jeffn

Reaction score
I don't understand why you would use a car as a WiFi connection. Most, if not all, have a smartphone that you already pay for a data plan. So, use your phone for tethering or as a WiFi hotspot for your non cell devices. Why pay for another data plan in your car?

I assume the carrier you use for your phones is something you like and pay for. So...use it!
Until I upgraded to the iphone 14, my truck would get a stronger signal in remote locations

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

Until I upgraded to the iphone 14, my truck would get a stronger signal in remote locations

Friend's GMC has a much better signal too. He takes work calls (webex/teams. etc.) in the truck at the lakes we go to as they drop out on his phone or don't connect.

Jerry McLellan

Reaction score

I am reading this thread for the primary reason of figuring out how to keep the wifi on without the truck running.

To respond to this comment - phone hotspot and tethering data has usage caps, while the truck wifi is unlimited - enough said! Add to that the fact that the cellular modem antenna appears to be installed in the shark fin on the roof, and you get stronger signals that you would with phones inside the truck. If you are actually using your phone for everything, I agree with you, but I need to use my laptop, and even if I had the cellular modem in the laptop, the laptop plans are more expensive, and NOT unlimited like the truck is. We are getting a truck camper, and streaming YouTube TV will be a primary purpose, along with the laptop. Although retired, I spend most of my time investing, and using my broker trading platform on a phone or even a tablet is way to hard to use (too easy to make mistakes in trades). Even other hotspots that you can buy have very limited data caps for the prices. I know there are some grandfathered data plans, but I don't have those. So, if I can't get enough data out of our phone hotspots, truck wifi, and any campground free wifi, Starlink is probably the next most cost effective for the many gigs of data I use in a month - and Starlink for RV's is now $150 per month, PLUS the hardware cost. So getting some more data for under $25 including taxes per month "might" get me enough data. When driving (wife driving that is) I can use my laptop and truck wifi, without interuption, but when stationary at any camp site, especially in the evening before going to sleep, it is too difficult to get out of the camper, and turn the truck back to on or ACC every 30 minutes. IF there is a way to disable that time-out is really the primary question. I actually considered trying to remote start the truck from inside the camper, which I believe will only run for 10-15 minutes if it would allow the hotspot to work for another 30 minutes after that.

DirectJH

Reaction score
I realize this is an old post but I know most of you are missing the point. As was said the antenna increases the range making it a viable solution when you in parts of this country where cell service is less than supreme, you can Wi-Fi call. Second they market as a business point so you are able to work from the job site. My High Country worked in accessory mode in Yellowstone. If you look at it from a parents view you don’t need to leave it running when the kids want Wi-Fi, really my thought would be they are trying to support the oil companies without violating the fuel economy.

FLNaturist

Reaction score
I am reading this thread for the primary reason of figuring out how to keep the wifi on without the truck running.

To respond to this comment - phone hotspot and tethering data has usage caps, while the truck wifi is unlimited - enough said! Add to that the fact that the cellular modem antenna appears to be installed in the shark fin on the roof, and you get stronger signals that you would with phones inside the truck. If you are actually using your phone for everything, I agree with you, but I need to use my laptop, and even if I had the cellular modem in the laptop, the laptop plans are more expensive, and NOT unlimited like the truck is. We are getting a truck camper, and streaming YouTube TV will be a primary purpose, along with the laptop. Although retired, I spend most of my time investing, and using my broker trading platform on a phone or even a tablet is way to hard to use (too easy to make mistakes in trades). Even other hotspots that you can buy have very limited data caps for the prices. I know there are some grandfathered data plans, but I don't have those. So, if I can't get enough data out of our phone hotspots, truck wifi, and any campground free wifi, Starlink is probably the next most cost effective for the many gigs of data I use in a month - and Starlink for RV's is now $150 per month, PLUS the hardware cost. So getting some more data for under $25 including taxes per month "might" get me enough data. When driving (wife driving that is) I can use my laptop and truck wifi, without interuption, but when stationary at any camp site, especially in the evening before going to sleep, it is too difficult to get out of the camper, and turn the truck back to on or ACC every 30 minutes. IF there is a way to disable that time-out is really the primary question. I actually considered trying to remote start the truck from inside the camper, which I believe will only run for 10-15 minutes if it would allow the hotspot to work for another 30 minutes after that.
Following

Users who are viewing this thread