Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Honking - chirping - 3 three horn beeps honks chirps - when I leave my vehicle - merged threads

jsalbre

Reaction score
Couldn't you just wire up an additional relay that's tied to an ignition triggered Aux switch (or simply an ignition source) so that only the horn push VSIM signal is hot to the horn relay when the truck is running?
Hmm, that’s actually quite ingenious. I guess you’d want to use an SPDT to switch between the regular horn signal when unpowered (ign off) and the VSIM signal when powered (ign on).

mountainears

Reaction score
OK. Finally wired this up and it works great. Since this has kind of worked into a long thread I’ll write it up in a new thread so the instructions are at the top and I’ll reference back in this thread so you can find it. Works out pretty clean.

Jimmy, sounded like people could by the VSIM module from you if they don’t already have it. I’ll reference that in the write up if that is correct.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomtwhite

Reaction score
2022 HD
Upon exiting the running truck with key fob in hand, you get the 3 chirp horn alert/warning. (As if I didn’t know I left the engine running.)

Any way to disable this annoyance?

TIA
T. White

[MOD: merged from another thread]

Last edited by a moderator:

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
2022 HD
Upon exiting the running truck with key fob in hand, you get the 3 chirp horn alert/warning. (As if I didn’t know I left the engine running.)

Any way to disable this annoyance?

TIA
T. White
Try searching there are many threads on this and no you cant disable it

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
Three horn beep/honk. Multiple active threads on this crap feature we can’t disable.

Wholeo

Reaction score
There is a video on YouTube by Rocky Rhode that has his fix to disable the 3-chirp horn issue that seems to be more of a hassle then just walking away and not worrying about it.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a video on YouTube by Rocky Rhode that has his fix to disable the 3-chirp horn issue that seems to be more of a hassle then just walking away and not worrying about it.

So far none of the bypasses seem worth it to me.. fingers crossed for a disable option from Ram.

Thisnthat

Reaction score
even had a Ram rep run a poll on here to gauge everyone's opinion on it...let's just say that it's pretty one sided

Lettikka

Reaction score
I'm no electrical engineer but it hit me when I got out of the truck (running) yesterday that the three chirps are very short and sharp. I wondered if there is such thing as a relay that is on a delay. Turns out there is. A quick search put me on an adjustable time delay relay. Now I am thinking there is going to be a way to wire a delay right at the horn where if you send it 12V for less than 1 second it doesn't allow the current to pass, but more than one second and it will. I can do decent DIY wiring but don't know a lot about designing circuits. The fact that this time delay relay exists has me dialed in. I will have something figured out before Monday morning. Downside: Horn will be delayed slightly when you hit the horn button. Upside: easy wiring and no 3 CHIRPS when I get out with the fob.... Wish me luck.

mountainears

Reaction score
Somewhat easy wiring. Getting access to the horn is not as easy as it should be. Behind driver side inner fender well.

Lettikka

Reaction score
Dangit. Found the parts and pieces on Amazon. Was hoping all the work could be done out in the open. I will also need access to the timer to figure out the shortest delay to kill the three honks while still letting the steering wheel horn be as timely as it can be.

mountainears

Reaction score
I like my solution better but mines already done and it’s behind me. :)

Soapy

Reaction score
When I leave my vehicle running and lock the doors to run into grab something the horn always honks 3 times. I have looked around in the programming but cannot find a way to turn this off. Any ideas?

usernamechecksout

Reaction score
The only way currently to turn it off is via the VSIM. If you don't have it, you can add it (then enable it with alfaobd).

No other way to turn it off other than removing fuse for the horn, but then your horn won't work at all.

mountainears

Reaction score
Technically the VSIM is not a direct way to disable. I posted a method of disabling it using the VSIM but it requires some wiring work as well. I do think it works great but I’m biased too. :). Search for my posts and you’ll find the write up.

There is no way to disable via onboard tools or programming currently, that could change I suppose but most don’t want to wait.

Users who are viewing this thread