Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High Output (AISIN) vs Standard (68rfe)

GPurcell01

Reaction score
Interesting, the exhaust brake works great in my 2500. And yes I have driven a 3500.

I thought it was weird too. In Tow/Haul his works awesome as it should. Normal driving, not so much. And this is comparing the two with the exhaust brake on full - not auto.

el_barto

Reaction score

Blythkd1

Reaction score
I did some searching but not finding anything. I know this is an old thread but figured it makes as much sense to tag onto it as to start a new thread.

My question, does anyone have any experience with the SO CTD engine and Aisin AS69RC transmission combination? It's an option with a Chassis Cab truck and it's what I have on order and just curious if it was a good choice. I know I'm jumping the gun and just need to wait for the truck to get here but I'm getting a little fidgety now since it's scheduled to build next Monday, so they say.

Thanks for reading and for any input.

AH64ID

Staff member
Reaction score
I did some searching but not finding anything. I know this is an old thread but figured it makes as much sense to tag onto it as to start a new thread.

My question, does anyone have any experience with the SO CTD engine and Aisin AS69RC transmission combination? It's an option with a Chassis Cab truck and it's what I have on order and just curious if it was a good choice. I know I'm jumping the gun and just need to wait for the truck to get here but I'm getting a little fidgety now since it's scheduled to build next Monday, so they say.

The C&C motor and the SO motor are not the same. There are both internal and programming differences.

sstoner911

Reaction score

It should be fine...the chassis trucks are derated so I imagine that combo is just fine.
Typically the AISIN Iisn only available with the High Output Cummins on the regular HD trucks which has more horse power and Torque...so with a derated Chassis truck it should be a good combo.

Blythkd1

Reaction score
The C&C motor and the SO motor are not the same. There are both internal and programming differences.
That's interesting. I was under the impression the C/C truck engine was the normal SO engine like you would get in any other HD truck. So now I'm looking and can't find anything on it.

How much difference in specs are we talking about? I went back and looked through the build & price page and it doesn't look like it did back when I was building my truck either. I could only see 2021 and the dealer was looking at 2022 so that was handy. Looks like the options are little different in 2022.

I hope this doesn't backfire on me. I was hoping to have a truck that would pull right with my tuned LML Chevy. It was very stout when it came to towing but lacked in longevity and durability.

sstoner911

Reaction score
That's interesting. I was under the impression the C/C truck engine was the normal SO engine like you would get in any other HD truck. So now I'm looking and can't find anything on it.

How much difference in specs are we talking about? I went back and looked through the build & price page and it doesn't look like it did back when I was building my truck either. I could only see 2021 and the dealer was looking at 2022 so that was handy. Looks like the options are little different in 2022.

I hope this doesn't backfire on me. I was hoping to have a truck that would pull right with my tuned LML Chevy. It was very stout when it came to towing but lacked in longevity and durability.
The C&C trucks have less horse power..I think like 20 HP less? They have less torque also.. something like 800 ft lbs maybe or so..
This is to help them last longer

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score

The C&C trucks have less horse power..I think like 20 HP less? They have less torque also.. something like 800 ft lbs maybe or so..
This is to help them last longer

Chassis Cab - w/ Aisin
Horsepower360
Torque800
Displacement6.7L
Number Of Cylinders6
Bore107 mm (4.21 in)
Stroke124 mm (4.88 in)
Compression Ratio19:1

Blythkd1

Reaction score
Good information. I assume no HP or torque ratings have changed since the 2019 specs. Sounds like even the lamer C/C engine is built with the HO block, crank, etc so if it doesn't quite suite me, it should be good to go for a little tune.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Good information. I assume no HP or torque ratings have changed since the 2019 specs. Sounds like even the lamer C/C engine is built with the HO block, crank, etc so if it doesn't quite suite me, it should be good to go for a little tune.

All the 2019+ engines are CGI and use most of the same parts.

It's generally believed the HO just uses different pistons (lower compression) and software tune.

The 21+ HO/Aisin had a large input shaft for the bump from 1000 lb.ft to 1075, so the CC Aisin should as well regardless of engine specs.

sstoner911

Reaction score
All the 2019+ engines are CGI and use most of the same parts.

It's generally believed the HO just uses different pistons (lower compression) and software tune.

The 21+ HO/Aisin had a large input shaft for the bump from 1000 lb.ft to 1075, so the CC Aisin should as well regardless of engine specs.
I never really considered a C&C ... Are you saying they produce the same torque as a HO?
Iam guessing you are limited in the creature comforts?

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I never really considered a C&C ... Are you saying they produce the same torque as a HO?

No, the CC is only 800 lb.ft. You can order a Limited CC.

I'm just guessing that Aisin no longer builds the 19-20 version of the trans and everything 21+ will have the larger input shaft.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Isn't there 2 AISIN versions on C&C? One for a diesel and another one for gas engine?

Blythkd1

Reaction score
When I was building a truck online, I was selecting a $1000 Aisin upgrade transmission, which is the AS69RC, but I don't recall what the default transmission was with the SO diesel engine. Like I stated earlier, I was building a 2021 but when I went in to the dealer to build the truck out for order, the site that they logged onto was showing 2022 options. Now when I go back to the consumer site online, it's also showing 2022 and the options are not what I was seeing back in December. I'm not a Ram guy (yet) so this stuff is all new to me but I'd almost swear the default transmission had I not elected to pay the $1000 upgrade had a "68" in it rather than the AS69RC that I ordered.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
When I was building a truck online, I was selecting a $1000 Aisin upgrade transmission, which is the AS69RC, but I don't recall what the default transmission was with the SO diesel engine. Like I stated earlier, I was building a 2021 but when I went in to the dealer to build the truck out for order, the site that they logged onto was showing 2022 options. Now when I go back to the consumer site online, it's also showing 2022 and the options are not what I was seeing back in December. I'm not a Ram guy (yet) so this stuff is all new to me but I'd almost swear the default transmission had I not elected to pay the $1000 upgrade had a "68" in it rather than the AS69RC that I ordered.

68RFE is the default behind the SO Cummins pickups, 2500/3500.

ZF 8HP75 is behind the Hemi pickups 2500/3500
AS69RC is behind the HO 3500 pickups and the SO (derated) Chassis Cab 3500/4500/5500
AS66RC is behind the Hemi Chassis Cab. 3500/4500/5500

This hasn't changed for a few years now.

If you were somehow able to select a '$1,000 upgrade" for the Aisin, you're also selecting a $11,195 upgrade for the HO on top of that. Currently the option is $12,195 for the HO and it selects the $0 AS69RC.

If you select the $0 AS69RC, it selects the HO.

1644904447693.png

Blythkd1

Reaction score
68RFE is the default behind the SO Cummins pickups, 2500/3500.

ZF 8HP75 is behind the Hemi pickups 2500/3500
AS69RC is behind the HO 3500 pickups and the SO (derated) Chassis Cab 3500/4500/5500
AS66RC is behind the Hemi Chassis Cab. 3500/4500/5500

This hasn't changed for a few years now.

If you were somehow able to select a '$1,000 upgrade" for the Aisin, you're also selecting a $11,195 upgrade for the HO on top of that. Currently the option is $12,195 for the HO and it selects the $0 AS69RC.

If you select the $0 AS69RC, it selects the HO.

View attachment 32051
While I agree with all the options as you lined them out, something has definitely changed on the consumer build site since early December. I checked it out again last night and was surprised to see you can select to build either a 2021 or a 2022, I don't understand that. Surely you can't still order a 2021? And while I could be getting options for a regular pickup confused a bit with chassis cab options, I went through the build process enough times to have it nearly memorized and some of it is definitely different now.

Now on a 2021 chassis cab build, when you select the Cummins engine, it defaults to the AS69RC Aisin at no extra cost, so it's standard with the Cummins. Back when I spec'd the truck the Cummins engine was $8745 and the Aisin transmission was another $1000 and there was something else showing as the standard included option, seems like it was the 68RFE but I can't swear to it. After selecting the Cummins engine I also had to select the Aisin and pay more for it. That's also confirmed by my printed copy of the Configuration Preview Sheet. Now the 2021 Cummins engine option is $7945 and the Aisin (included option with diesel) is $1600. I find it pretty interesting how things have changed mid-year. I always assumed once prices were established for a given model year, they stayed the same until the next model year was introduced. 2022 prices have changed as well. I still wonder if you can even buy a 2021 but why would they still show it on their website?

Steevo

Reaction score
Actually, not (limited on creature comforts, that is). If you do a search on AutoTrader or other nationwide search engine, you'll find many C&C Ram 3500's with high end Laramie packages including just about every option the pickups have. I was considering going the C&C route and adding a hauler body in back, specially equipped for 5th wheel service, but decided I'd like a bed to slide lumber/cargo into on occasion.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread