Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High Output (AISIN) vs Standard (68rfe)

AEV_CUMMINS

Reaction score
If you're not going to tow heavy, and going to tune and/or do a weight reduction tune, just get the SO/68RFE.

They're very reliable unless you go crazy on the tune/bad tune and certainly cheaper to build than the AS69RC.
Thanks for the feedback. The more research I do.. the more I realize the very few shouting 68rfe's grenade from a large but very quiet crowd, the more it makes sense and eases my mind.

HORam

Reaction score

pinco

Reaction score
Anybody who has driven both from the 2019-2020 models, did you notice a difference? Did the H.O. seems louder? Did the H.O. seem more gruff? They felt different in the shifting, one didn't seem faster than the other. The sales manager told me that if I had a load on the high output one that I'd notice the difference between the t

I’ve driven both. The HO Aisen version was faster, but also had a 4.10 rear. I bought the HO, and my first pull was 15k. I didn’t even know I was pulling anything. It shifted much smoother with a load as well. The Aisen HO combination is definitely tuned for hauling. A little bit of an aggressive shift empty, but I don’t do empty. It’s still the most comfortable ram I’ve owned, and it’s my third. I’m in love with my HO! The “only” issue I have is pedal lag, especially when coming off the throttle, then jumping back on through a yellow light! It can take almost 3-4 seconds which is ridiculous. I’ll definitely be getting some kind of a tune to fix that.

RV_Goose

Reaction score
I’ve driven both. The HO Aisen version was faster, but also had a 4.10 rear. I bought the HO, and my first pull was 15k. I didn’t even know I was pulling anything. It shifted much smoother with a load as well. The Aisen HO combination is definitely tuned for hauling. A little bit of an aggressive shift empty, but I don’t do empty. It’s still the most comfortable ram I’ve owned, and it’s my third. I’m in love with my HO! The “only” issue I have is pedal lag, especially when coming off the throttle, then jumping back on through a yellow light! It can take almost 3-4 seconds which is ridiculous. I’ll definitely be getting some kind of a tune to fix that.

I do not seem to have the lag, or I adjusted around it without thinking about it?.

But pulling from 8000-12k-20k trailers my HO Aisin 3500 just grunt s slightly more and goes.

MSundet

Reaction score
I owned a 2018 3500, it was beautiful beautiful truck and drove like a normal vehicle. I bought a 2020 3500 with the HO Which ultimately came with only one transmission. My notice in the new transmission was it drove more like a farm truck until you actually put it under load with a trailer. When towing it’s a perfect transmission, with no load you just have to drive it like a normal civilian and it is a perfect transmission.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tinner

Reaction score
Banks petal monster cured the pedal lag issue on my 2020 HO

thestuarts

Reaction score
Banks petal monster cured the pedal lag issue on my 2020 HO

I have been very happy with the Banks PedalMonster as well. The truck is much more enjoyable to drive when it responds to my throttle commands in a timely manner.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
I have been very happy with the Banks PedalMonster as well. The truck is much more enjoyable to drive when it responds to my throttle commands in a timely manner.
Do you also have an OBD reader connected at the same time? I've had issues with Banks' products int eh past not getting along with anything else living on the OBD port.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Do you also have an OBD reader connected at the same time? I've had issues with Banks' products int eh past not getting along with anything else living on the OBD port.

That is one of my concerns. My Amp steps plug into the OBD port. I have heard some have issues running the steps and the banks together. Kind of hit and miss on who it works for.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
That is one of my concerns. My Amp steps plug into the OBD port. I have heard some have issues running the steps and the banks together. Kind of hit and miss on who it works for.

On my 4.5 5.9L, the Banks IQ controller for the exhaust brake (trans lockup controller) and my Edge refused to work together since both are "active" on the bus. the Banks tuner box and their trans controller slave together and worked.

I believe the PM is read only just to send Accel control, but not certain of that.

I'm just wondering since the reader would be read only unless you were actively using AlfaOBD, if they get along. I suspect they might but also suspect you might have trouble using a TAZER with a Banks.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Aside from drivability and internal engine differences, 68rfe is limited on how much it can tow. My 2019 HO/Aisin SRW can tow more than the SO/68rfe DRW. Something to consider ...

Onelongshot

Reaction score
Aside from drivability and internal engine differences, 68rfe is limited on how much it can tow. My 2019 HO/Aisin SRW can tow more than the SO/68rfe DRW. Something to consider ...
This is why I traded my dually in yesterday and bought a SRW.

Onelongshot

Reaction score
Quite a big difference. Only thing is my payload suffered a little. But I won’t need it as my trailers are well within spec.

MEGA HO

Reaction score
And to the guy asking if he needs to use the TH with a 4000# trailer... I wouldn't. I had a smaller trailer (loaded I guess it was in a 4500-5000# range). I made a trip with it last summer driving from AB to Vancouver Island and back. Thousands of miles through Rockies... When going downhill with TH (and EB obviously) activated, it felt like it was slamming breaks every once in a while. It was much too harsh. With TH off it was smooth and still I hardly ever had to touch breaks.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
Quite a big difference. Only thing is my payload suffered a little. But I won’t need it as my trailers are well within spec.

Was that your payload from your VIN?

Seems odd that it's only ~45 lb more than my 20 Limited (no sunroof). I guess that new CP-ISB21 must weigh a lot.

Onelongshot

Reaction score
Was that your payload from your VIN?

Seems odd that it's only ~45 lb more than my 20 Limited (no sunroof). I guess that new CP-ISB21 must weigh a lot.
Yeah my truck is fully optioned. I would have gotten a higher trim level but I wanted a bench seat.

Users who are viewing this thread