Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hide a key options?

dogbreath650

Reaction score
I've always placed a magnetic hide a key somewhere so that in the event I lose my keys somehow I'd be able to get back in the truck. In my 16 without the pushbutton, I took the metal key out of a spare FOB, put it in the hide a key box and hid the FOB somewhere inside the truck.

So, is there anyway to still use a hide a key in a new 23 with the pushbutton? I don't think my previous solution would work because I've heard the truck won't let me lock the door with the FOB still inside. Still waiting on the truck so I can't experiment yet, just planning ahead, thanks...

Ionicbrick

Reaction score
I’ve had a 15 with the push bottom and now my 22 with it. The FOB can’t be inside the truck to lock it. If you get the Ram app set up you can unlock the truck with your phone, but not drive it. And if you lose your phone and your keys, you’re SOL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dogbreath650

Reaction score
What about a hide a key box that is big enough for the whole fob? Would this be far enough removed from the cab if it were placed on the frame under the box somewhere?

CdnHO

Reaction score
What about a hide a key box that is big enough for the whole fob? Would this be far enough removed from the cab if it were placed on the frame under the box somewhere?
I would think that will work if you prevent the RF signal from getting out. Wrap in foil and use a metal hide-a-key. IF the RF signal is not contained anyone could open the door. I think?

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Yes they fob can be in the truck just put it far enough away from drivers side dash. Or lock it with another fob my wife leaves her purse with the second fob in the truck all the time i have no issues locking the truck with my FOB, if you have the passive entry i don't think it will work unless the fob is far enough away that the RF hub does not detect it though

scdo

Reaction score
I guess if you really wanted, you could take the battery out of the fob and leave it hidden.

406Linetrash

Reaction score
No. I had to turn off the east entry on my 13 Laramie, and my wife’s 22. They have a pretty good range.

I hang my keys by the door of our fiver. And if the trucks in front of the trailer or backed up to it. it will let you do everything.
What about a hide a key box that is big enough for the whole fob? Would this be far enough removed from the cab if it were placed on the frame under the box somewhere

Users who are viewing this thread