Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hey, First Time Truck Buyer Here! could use some advice....

Zinga

Reaction score
If you get the 3500 with the auto-pop rear suspension, it is likely that the the rear will not lower further than the stock unloaded ride height. It only levels it out by adding pressure when a load is added. See the note below from the owner's manual.

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like you have ordered a truck that will work for you! I was thinking about the 3.73 versus 4.10 discussion today while doing some mountain driving.

I wish mine had 4.10 gears....especilly with the 35" tires. If I was buying another one today, it would have 4.10s. After driving mine for nearly 13,000 miles, I wish it had them instead of 3.73s. I believe the 4.10s would reduce the hunting issue mine had on hills when new.

Since installing the taller tires, the hunting has mostly gone away. It seems to stay in a lower gear longer due to taller overall ratio from the tall tires. Conversely, I think the trans would stay in a higher gear longer with the 4.10s. Different effect than the taller tires, but similar results in that I believe the hunting would be greatly reduced.

I think you will really like that power train! Can't wait to see some pictures!

Ogamiitto

Reaction score
If you get the 3500 with the auto-pop rear suspension, it is likely that the the rear will not lower further than the stock unloaded ride height. It only levels it out by adding pressure when a load is added. See the note below from the owner's manual.........

i went ahead and downloaded the owner's manual and read that whole section, so i could put that excerpt in context, and i see what you mean. given what i want to use the rear level air suspension for, it may not work out for me. i say "may", because the section reads that "most" 3500 models won't go to ATH.

i understand why that is. the airbags replace the springs in the rear of the 2500, while the just assist the leaf springs in the 3500. maybe that's why they don't perform the same way. i really wish that manual was written better.

oh well, i can't really do anything about it anyway. my build order is final according to my agreement with the dealer. at least i may get better ride quality out of it :)

Ogamiitto

Reaction score
Sounds like you have ordered a truck that will work for you! I was thinking about the 3.73 versus 4.10 discussion today while doing some mountain driving.

I wish mine had 4.10 gears....especilly with the 35" tires. If I was buying another one today, it would have 4.10s. After driving mine for nearly 13,000 miles, I wish it had them instead of 3.73s. I believe the 4.10s would reduce the hunting issue mine had on hills when new.......

well thanks to your advise, and others like you, i was able to explore that more and understand why that was such a great option. one of the best decisions i made in building out my truck. really, thanks so much on that!

for others out there, here's a link to a discussion on another forum that also helped me in coming to the decision i made. it's with the older version of this gas engine, but i still think it applies...

https://expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/ram-3500-with-6-4l-hemi-or-not.154911/page-2

......I think you will really like that power train! Can't wait to see some pictures!

oh, definitely! i think i can commit to at least documenting with some pictures of the rig when i pick it up, along with first drive impressions. i think that may help a lot of people out there. i'm looking at over a 700 mile trip back home to Lancaster CA from Dennis Dillon, so i know i'll have a lot of time with the truck to give a good first post of it.

maxsteel

Reaction score
Can confirm that the truck will not lower itself to ATH without a load. Kind of a bummer, as I had the same thought process you did. The truck does sit lower in the rear than standard 3500s though, so that will save you a turn of the crank or two.

HomelessBound

Reaction score
The difference between 3500 and 2500 with load height appears to be that the 3500 uses air on top of a leaf spring setup, and there isn't much compression unloaded, so the truck can't really drop. Whereas the 2500 with air is pure air in the back, so many more options for what it can do. Still don't see any HD key fob remotes with the lower function mentioned in the manual, but I did see it on the 1500 with 4- corner air.

Ogamiitto

Reaction score
The difference between 3500 and 2500 with load height appears to be that the 3500 uses air on top of a leaf spring setup, and there isn't much compression unloaded, so the truck can't really drop. Whereas the 2500 with air is pure air in the back, so many more options for what it can do. Still don't see any HD key fob remotes with the lower function mentioned in the manual, but I did see it on the 1500 with 4- corner air.

yeah, i've come to realize the difference. personally, i don't think RAM or the dealers are either forthcoming enough or clear enough as to the difference in the function of this option between the 2500 and 3500. on the dealer's part, i think that's primarily more ignorance than outright deception. either way that was a costly mistake on my part....i'm hoping that the improved ride quality will offer some comfort down the road at least.

HomelessBound

Reaction score
I trust the dealers as far as I can throw them, and all the ones I have met thus far have been pretty well fed... Most of it is ignorance, but ignorance is indefensible when two weeks ago I was looking at Fords and now after two weeks I know more about RAMs than the salesman that has 20 certificates attesting their knowledge of the product plastered around their cubicle.

With a 3500 with ramboxes full of tools and other items I am hoping for a better ride and some more "alt mode/load height" lowering. But now with the Rambox delays I am considering a 2500 instead of a 3500. My math says the payload should be enough, but I can't ensure what payload my as built truck will come with either...

Users who are viewing this thread