Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here you can freely post your concerns about the CP4 fuel pump - free range just keep it civil.

tozz43

Reaction score
Can anyone let me know if I install a lift pump system on my 2020 ram will it void my warranty.

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score
Can anyone let me know if I install a lift pump system on my 2020 ram will it void my warranty.

You already have a lift pump. All 2019+ HD 6.7s do from the factory. Open your door, and without pressing on the brake, tap the start button twice. You'll hear it prime.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
You already have a lift pump. All 2019+ HD 6.7s do from the factory. Open your door, and without pressing on the brake, tap the start button twice. You'll hear it prime.
Im assuming he means air dog or fass....

bigcitymike

Reaction score
I still don't get it. All the people bent out of shape because a part may fail down the road. It's almost as bad as losing sleep because a tire may blow or an alternator may not charge one day. If it bothers you convert it but do not let it rule your life. All the other MFGs use versions of the CP4. I bet the actual failures are not as bad as it looks. I own two and they run every day in my fleet. Great trucks.
GM's moved away from the CP4 to the Denso HP4 for MY 2017, and now FCA has moved away from the CP4 mid-year 2021. That's a pretty big deal if 2 of the 3 big boys do it. So it's not accurate to say all of the MFG are using the CP4 in their Diesels today.

Last edited:

Wileykid

Reaction score
GM's moved away from the CP4 to the Denso HP4 for MY 2020, and now FCA has moved away from the CP4 mid-year 2021. That's a pretty big deal if 2 of the 3 big boys do it. So it's not accurate to say all of the MFG are using the CP4 in their Diesels today.
GM went to the Denso in 2017

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
GM's moved away from the CP4 to the Denso HP4 for MY 2017, and now FCA has moved away from the CP4 mid-year 2021. That's a pretty big deal if 2 of the 3 big boys do it. So it's not accurate to say all of the MFG are using the CP4 in their Diesels today.

You keep saying mid-year 2021 but all 2021 trucks have the CP3.

Sowa

Reaction score
I dropped off my truck at the dealership to service the fuel filters this morning. I asked if they were seeing a high number if trucks coming in with bad fuel pumps. I got a very enthusiastic nod, and was told they will look very closely at fuel contamination. Sounds like the CP4 pump has very little tolerance for water in the system. Hold onto your receipts after fueling up.

My follow up was if there is anyway for the dealership to look at at the current state of the pump and if I have abnormal wear. Was told no, there is nothing they can do.

A bit of an unfortunate situation to be in as there is no way to check if my CP4 pump is in good health or should be replaced. FCA also sounds very aggressive in terms of push back for covering a failed pump.

mcspeed

Reaction score
If the fuel system is fitted with filtration and water separator, how does the pump get damaged by contamination?

I was moments away from buying new 2020 and happy I found this thread. I thought diesels had the reputation for being durable, long lasting and reliable. They lost my purchase and I’m guessing many will do the same.

The issue is beyond the cost which is significant. Getting stranded in BF Egypt with family, dogs and gear is not something I can tolerate. On top of that I use my truck for work. Do I take a month or two off waiting for repairs!

I hope and pray there is a fix for this soon. I feel for all who are wondering if/when their time bomb will explode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Laynrocker84

Reaction score
If the fuel system is fitted with filtration and water separator, how does the pump get damaged by contamination?

I was moments away from buying new 2020 and happy I found this thread. I thought diesels had the reputation for being durable, long lasting and reliable. They lost my purchase and I’m guessing many will do the same.

The issue is beyond the cost which is significant. Getting stranded in BF Egypt with family, dogs and gear is not something I can tolerate. On top of that I use my truck for work. Do I take a month or two off waiting for repairs!

I hope and pray there is a fix for this soon. I feel for all who are wondering if/when their time bomb will explode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
just Buy a 2021 as ram went back to a cp3 this model year

cvpiftw

Reaction score
I am wondering if there will be a kit to change it to the CP3. I know the gear case drive on these engines seems to be able to support it, but again, I am not 100% sure if there is a gear change size to change the pump RPM at idle ECT. I am curious what the changes are in the cummins CPL for those pumps.

I just got rid of my Nissan Titan XD Diesel for this truck. This is gonna be interesting. I wanted to NOT own a unreliable diesel.

Jim Keller

Reaction score
To have to pay out of pocket, swap parts, configure a "work around" just to keep a pump failure, which will occur, not a matter of IF, but WHEN (fuel pumps don't last forever) , from destroying your engine, with a bill attached to it of $10k up to $25 is ridiculous.

I didn't pay a "work around" price for the vehicle.

If a recall is not issued soon, I'm looking at going with the manufacturer that's now using a Denso pump, or going back to a gasser asap.

I'll be getting rid of my 2020 CP4 glitter bomb asap before the word spreads even more, ending up with a lemon model year that you won't be able to pay someone to take off your hands, even those not in the know.
Looks like Recall # 21V439000 and Recall # 20V511000 are issues for my truck but the Dealerships I have talked to don't have a record of them. What am I doing wrong.

Brewbud

Brewmeister Meisterbrew
Reaction score
Looks like Recall # 21V439000 and Recall # 20V511000 are issues for my truck but the Dealerships I have talked to don't have a record of them. What am I doing wrong.
Strange they don't know about it. You should be getting a letter soon. I read they are sending them out at the end of July. Only applies to some 3500, 4500 and 5500 chassis cabs.

Did you run your VIN to see if it applies to your truck?

b1lanc

Reaction score
I have a 5th wheel ordered which is why I bought the 2020. I lost the VP44 in my 01 when the lift pump failed. I had horses in tow, three kids and a wife in the cab, and was luckily a few miles from home after 1800 in tow. It was instant failure on a two lane state highway but a pull off was reachable. I was within warranty on date and mileage but Daimler Chrysler would not cover repairs. I put in a Blue Chip VP44 myself just to get it back on the road. Don't want a 15K 5th wheel home behind and have pump fail. Another poster on the brand RV forum lost his CP4 at 28K miles and is stuck. Dealership said there are only 9 CP4s in US RAM dealerships inventory and none will give them up so he is weeks or months from getting his truck back.

exiledinaz

Reaction score
I have a 5th wheel ordered which is why I bought the 2020. I lost the VP44 in my 01 when the lift pump failed. I had horses in tow, three kids and a wife in the cab, and was luckily a few miles from home after 1800 in tow. It was instant failure on a two lane state highway but a pull off was reachable. I was within warranty on date and mileage but Daimler Chrysler would not cover repairs. I put in a Blue Chip VP44 myself just to get it back on the road. Don't want a 15K 5th wheel home behind and have pump fail. Another poster on the brand RV forum lost his CP4 at 28K miles and is stuck. Dealership said there are only 9 CP4s in US RAM dealerships inventory and none will give them up so he is weeks or months from getting his truck back.
Dealer told me recently he had not seen any CP4's go out past the 12-15K mark. I'm at 18.5K now. I guess he must be lucky or....;)

Greenhills

Reaction score
The real question is.. if you swapped the new CP3 out from the 21's into your CP4 truck, would FCA honor your warranty still?

MtnRider

Reaction score
Dealer told me recently he had not seen any CP4's go out past the 12-15K mark. I'm at 18.5K now. I guess he must be lucky or....;)

Saw one posted just last week that went out at 70K. Thought they were all going early if they were going to but now starting to see some higher mileage failures. Don't hold your breath.

MtnRider

Reaction score
The real question is.. if you swapped the new CP3 out from the 21's into your CP4 truck, would FCA honor your warranty still?

If you do it on your own, I'm going to say absolutely not. Just the ammunition they are looking for to deny a warranty.

Cummins3

Reaction score
I just got a email from nhtsa
I sold my rammer but wanted to share this information

NHTSA Recall ID Number : 21V880
Manufacturer : Chrysler (FCA US, LLC)
Subject : High Pressure Fuel Pump May Fail
Make Model Model Years
RAM 2500 2019-2020
RAM 3500 2019-2020
RAM 4500 2019-2020
RAM 5500 2019-2020