Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi vs Cummins

Status
Not open for further replies.

jetrinka

Reaction score
It seems this thread is just circling the drain with the same statements repeated countless times...
Don’t worry. This one will fade away and an identical one will pop up when the 2023’s start getting ordered

gpattikjr

Reaction score
Funny how def, and emissions equipment for the cummins always gets mentioned. But not hemi lifter tick and failure as well as manifolds cracking. Not to mention the 8 speed being clunky.

whitexc

Reaction score
The 8 speed is one of the best attributes of the truck. Haven't heard of clunky so much. Maybe that's the cab mounts we all suffer with.....

This debate will go on forever. Some of us just don't require a diesel, some can't afford a Limited and not all of us even need a HD truck. Whatever.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

chas0218

Reaction score
Funny how def, and emissions equipment for the cummins always gets mentioned. But not hemi lifter tick and failure as well as manifolds cracking. Not to mention the 8 speed being clunky.
I think that's because either of those hemi issues is still about the price of 1 new injector.

arx237

Reaction score
Def and emissions are with 100% of diesels where hemi lifter tic is not every single one. So hemi is more a risk it may happen than a guarentee like def I guess.

I do not find my 8 speed clunky at all. I like it a lot.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
To each thier own, but i don't buy something to pump up my ego. My purchases are for my own gratitude and purposes i need them for.

You sound like the guy that is 5'7" jumping down out of a 12" lifted Ram 1500 with moose ears sticking out.

Believe it or not, there is plenty of "purpose" today for the modern diesel engine having nothing to do with anyone's "ego". Your original comment was laughable at best.

To each their own is right.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Can I start reporting this thread as spam? No? Fine…..

Poolmonkey

Reaction score
Drove TRX out of Vegas and up to Mount Charleston/Lee Canyon today….practically idled up those killer grades and sporty, something else for sure. PowerWagon for sale…ha.

chas0218

Reaction score
You sound like the guy that is 5'7" jumping down out of a 12" lifted Ram 1500 with moose ears sticking out.

Believe it or not, there is plenty of "purpose" today for the modern diesel engine having nothing to do with anyone's "ego". Your original comment was laughable at best.

To each their own is right.
Really? This is coming from the guy that wants to lift his truck....Pot calling the kettle black? I don't own a lifted vehicle and never will I have no use for a pavement princess that "looks cool" again my equipment is bought and used for their intended purpose(s). I don't need a diesel or HD truck to haul around my ego only my toys. Hope you have a great day and find something to fix those insecurities you have.

js4024

Reaction score
Go hang out at some Ram dealership service areas and watch the HD trucks that come in. You'll see almost no Hemis, and lots of Cummins. I guarantee it. The myth that today's diesel trucks will outlast the gas trucks is just that, a myth. Heck, last time I was at my local dealer they had a Cummins crate engine on a pallet ready to go.

So there are 42 million combined miles of owner data in Fuelly and they're at 15.5 MPG average with the 6.7 Cummins in trucks over the 2011-2021 model years, and you're saying that you get 19-21.5? C'mon man... It's hard to have productive conversation on forums because guys throw around fairytale numbers like that. Everybody knows that when you hook a heavy load to a modern Tier IV diesel, you're down into the 8-11 MPG range, and running unloaded you're going to see mid-teens at best. These new high torque diesels are only 2 MPG better than a gas truck in the real world, but you're buying fuel that's currently $1.10/gallon more expensive per national averages.

I'm a diesel guy, I love diesels. But we've got to be realistic here. There is ZERO case where a diesel engine is going to save a guy money in a pickup truck. It's not happening. Short term, long term, daily driven, towing, it's not happening. I can see a guy who runs a hot shot business wanting a diesel so he can legally open up the possibility of more loads, but otherwise the only reason to buy diesel is if you just want it. There's no way it's advantageous on paper.
The above from a shorty who could not afford the big truck….. any idiot with a 7th grade education knows a diesel will out last a gasser easily by 5x…. Proof is out there…. Next time don’t spend your BIDEN stimulus check foolishly on a parking lot princess! I

Reactions: CFE

js4024

Reaction score
Go hang out at some Ram dealership service areas and watch the HD trucks that come in. You'll see almost no Hemis, and lots of Cummins. I guarantee it. The myth that today's diesel trucks will outlast the gas trucks is just that, a myth. Heck, last time I was at my local dealer they had a Cummins crate engine on a pallet ready to go.

So there are 42 million combined miles of owner data in Fuelly and they're at 15.5 MPG average with the 6.7 Cummins in trucks over the 2011-2021 model years, and you're saying that you get 19-21.5? C'mon man... It's hard to have productive conversation on forums because guys throw around fairytale numbers like that. Everybody knows that when you hook a heavy load to a modern Tier IV diesel, you're down into the 8-11 MPG range, and running unloaded you're going to see mid-teens at best. These new high torque diesels are only 2 MPG better than a gas truck in the real world, but you're buying fuel that's currently $1.10/gallon more expensive per national averages.

I'm a diesel guy, I love diesels. But we've got to be realistic here. There is ZERO case where a diesel engine is going to save a guy money in a pickup truck. It's not happening. Short term, long term, daily driven, towing, it's not happening. I can see a guy who runs a hot shot business wanting a diesel so he can legally open up the possibility of more loads, but otherwise the only reason to buy diesel is if you just want it. There's no way it's advantageous on paper.
The above from a shorty who could not afford the big truck….. any idiot with a 7th grade education knows a diesel will out last a gasser easily by 5x…. Proof is out there…. Next time don’t spend your BIDEN stimulus check foolishly on a parking lot princess! This is the guy who buys a 1500, de badges it and puts a lift kit on it to make people think he drives a big boy truck! LOL. Yep, I am that guy and proud of it!

whitexc

Reaction score
Stick a fork in this one.....it's done.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Jsboening

Reaction score
Maybe we should just feel fortunate to be living in a time with such great choices in vehicles. I know my dad and grandpa would have been amazed at either of these power plants. I can remember my dad being thrilled with his vortec V8 and 4 speed. 250 whooping horse power!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread