Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hemi or Cummins cheaper option breakdown

jetrinka

Reaction score
I dunno man. Who really cares? You buy a truck for what you need. I've got a Hemi and really enjoy it but I am also not asking it to haul anything more than 5k more than a handful times a year. In my case the Hemi makes sense. It certainly doesn't for a lot of other people who consistently haul a ton more.

People that try and justify what they have done in dollars and cents just don't really make sense to me a lot of times.... Buy what you need and don't look back.

tchur1

Reaction score
I understand the sentiment here but tend to agree with crusty and jetrinka. I bought a 3500 HO limited because that’s the truck I wanted. Could a 2500 solve my needs?probably but I personally like having wide margins for capacity and am willing to pay for that. Even if on paper the math might not check out.

Ironsides77

Reaction score
There are a lot of reasons to get gas or diesel and everyone here gets what suits them the best.

Which is better, gas or diesel better? The one thats in your driveway.

chas0218

Reaction score
I think this is aimed at the "why didn't you get a diesel?" crowd. I've been asked that a hundred times since ordering my truck. I did my homework and my math, didn't need the diesel.
I think that is a lot of the reason for anyone that didn't buy one over the other.

In reality for me I couldn't justify buying a diesel at the added cost of the option and maintenance. According to Ram I can tow more with a 2500 gasser than the diesel version and have more payload too. In a 3500 that's a totally different story.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
This again?

I bought a 3500 Limited with the HO because I just wanted it. I did not need it as I never tow over about 7000 lbs. I am over 60 years old and just decided to get what I wanted not what I really needed.

Roger that. I don't need to justify my decision, it's what I wanted. There's countless threads discussing diesel vs gas. Ad nauseum.

That said, the Aisin was what I was after. Too many issues towing heavy with the Chrysler trannies. Yea, I know, there are lots of 68RFE out there chugging along. I just personally don't trust one as far as I could throw it.

For my use case, the Hemi was out of the question.

Fleets are going gas, they're cheaper to maintain and when you're letting some ham fisted schmo drive your trucks, they need to be cheap.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
As to the video, there are a few flaws in his facts, or he didn't detail them enough to know for certain.

Cummins retains a higher percentage of initial value upon resale (this has been checked and shown to be true).
Cummins goes 15K between oil changes, Hemi is 6K.

Ironsides77

Reaction score
As to the video, there are a few flaws in his facts, or he didn't detail them enough to know for certain.

Cummins retains a higher percentage of initial value upon resale (this has been checked and shown to be true).
Off topic so please delete if not allowed:

Do you change your oil every 15k?

MEGA HO

Reaction score
Off topic so please delete if not allowed:

Do you change your oil every 15k?
Some people do, some people don't. I go by what my computer tells me, not what my dealer tells me.
I don't drive my truck in winter, so last year (and a year before that) I changed oil in late fall and parked it right away. Before I even got it back out of my garage, I started getting flooded with dealer emails about upcoming 6 months oil changes. FFS! Don't think they're changing oil in their inventory vehicles that used to sit on their lot for over a year (before the pandemic of course). Computer is saying my oil life is at 18% right now, getting close to the time when I part my truck which I will do this year the end of November before heading back to work overseas.

jetrinka

Reaction score

6K??!! Oh the abuse!!!

mwalsh9152

Reaction score
As has been said, buy what suits your wants or needs. Theres a ton of diesel trucks out there that will never haul anything more than groceries. As long as they are happy, I dont give a crap. I do get a kick out of the its not a real truck if it has a gas engine mindset though. My Hemi does everything I need it to, so why spend $9K more to have an engine I dont need, then pay more for maintenance? I've had diesels before, but dont have the need currently.

They are nothing but fancy tools. Buy the one that suits you best.

RVTRKN

Reaction score
Hemi's are nice, until you hookup a 15K 5ver, even only one pull for a 500 mile trip, you will question your choice.
Gasssers equal high RPM, to the point they screaming trying to keep up the steep grades. Cummins equal quiet grunting at low RPM with more acceleration if needed to get up those same grades. I just drove 4000+ miles round trip, to get my pontoon out of storage, and climbing grades was breeze. But lets start with costs, Diesel is tons more expensive than the Hemi in initial costs and maintenance, but your savings are offset when you buy another truck after 150K miles to replace a worn out Hemi. But the Hemi allows you to keep up with the never ending upgrading in vehicle options, comfort and electronics. However the last three trucks I've bought, have been Cummins (04.5, 07 and a 2019) and I've traded them in with less than 80K miles, on the first two. Do I miss my gassers yes, until I use my truck as I intended its use for.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
For some, the point is now moot.

You can no longer order a Longhorn or Limited with a Hemi. There was less than a 5% take rate so they dropped it.

The Rebel announcement expected in Oct may bring it back for that trim, the Hurricane is also likely to come.

mwalsh9152

Reaction score

You can no longer order a Longhorn or Limited with a Hemi. There was less than a 5% take rate so they dropped it.

The Rebel announcement expected in Oct may bring it back for that trim, the Hurricane is also likely to come.
is that a 2023 thing?

ClawSS

Reaction score

Show me your source, please. Is there a thread on the change to the order guide pending?

1664238190833.png

Users who are viewing this thread