Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help

Mikefar1970

Reaction score
I was curious what comes with the snow chief group on a 2500 HD Ram. K am looking at purchasing one and would like more info if anyone has any to offer

tyler2you

Reaction score
From the HD buyer's guide:

Snow Chief Group — Includes 220-amp alternator, antispin rear differential, instrument panel-mounted
auxiliary switches, LED clearance lamps, LT275 / 70R18E OWL On- /Off-Road tires (if 18-inch wheels) and
transfer case skid plate (not available with 4x2, DRW models and Night Edition) (AD2)

Redfour5

Reaction score
I was curious what comes with the snow chief group on a 2500 HD Ram. K am looking at purchasing one and would like more info if anyone has any to offer
It is on the one I pick up later this week. Others detailed it, but why would a dealer put it on in the first place? The KEY reason appears to be the anti-slip differential. I have a 21 1500 and that 4WD system is different with essentially two approaches to a problem. I actually had all three approaches to the 1500 4WD approach. My 2013 was a straight 4WD system. If I slipped, I had to put it into 4WD to get moving. My mailboxes are the example with a slight incline everyone polishes to ice. With my 2015, I had the anti-slip and it would grab on its own, quite nicely. On the 2021, I have the off road package and the "auto" 4WD. The auto thing works kind of like anti-slip apparently with all four wheels. So, no getting stuck as it grabs. I pretty much keep it on in the winter as in MT we have snow almost always and it's OK to keep on although it is a differential clutch based system like the antislip but always on...

So, the 2500/3500 does not appear to have the auto 4WD. The 4WD system on these is different. Someone correct me, but I do not recall seeing it on any of these,. So, if you want anti-slip capabilities at least like my 2015 and not be stuck like in my 2013, you have to order it and I think it is in the 500 buck range as a separate add on. But if you get the Snow Chief package, you get the anti-slip differential, a bigger alternator (to handle a plow apparatus/or other toys), the all terrain tires (still good road tires also) that bite better/half way between road tires and more robust off roaders, the auxilliary switches (to add goodies later) and the lights on top for like 995? So, it is a no-brainer. I could live without the lights on top, but it is a good deal of a package even if all you REALLY want is the anti-slip. I also got the Off Road package and imho, the Bilsteins alone, not to mention a slightly better off road capability make that worth it...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread