Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Help With Towing Tire Selection

Mustangmike66

Reaction score
Hello all, I tried searching for this but came up with nothing. I’m looking to replace the stock Transforce tires on my 2500 6.4 Hemi for something better suited for towing. We plan on purchasing a 8,000lb trailer no longer 30’.

I’m looking at TOYO Open Country AT3s or Michelin Defender LTX m+s. I will be on road about 80% of the time. I’ve watched probably 100 YouTube videos it seems to get more confusing the more I watch.

Any experience or suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks, Mike

unclelala

Reaction score
As far as Michelin goes has anyone heard feed back on the newer Agilis vs the Defender as far as quality and performance and which one would make a better tire for all round use?

Mustangmike66

Reaction score
I’ve been reading that it’s a good idea to have A/T tires at some camp sites so I don’t get stuck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlink

Reaction score
I tow a heavy 5th Wheel, so I need quality LT tires for towing for longer trips in summer heat. Like you, I used to think I needed an On-Road/Off-Road AT tire like the Michelin LTX A/T2 (same OEM AT tire that Ford uses) because I thought about muddy campgrounds, etc. - but in 9 yeas of towing, that situation never came up.

So on my new 3500 DRW, I had those "inexpensive" NEXAN OEM tires removed and replaced with Michelin Primacy XC (same OEM Highway tire as GMC uses) which are smoother and quieter for long days towing (and not towing).

Obviously, you need to check the tire sizes for your OEM wheels.

That's my .02 worth.

Last edited:

Dmbecke

Reaction score
Don’t get the Michelin’s unless you can get D or E load rating
i put thes on and towed a 6500 lb trailer and back tires wore out in 20k.
put on KO2 E rated tires and will get 50000

Sarge33Army

Reaction score
Michelin Defender LTX is hard to beat. Had them (E-rated) on two previous Tundra trucks. Excellent tire! We have the Michelin Agilis tire on our SUV. It's very quiet and handles well. However, this SUV tire is totally different than the Agilis E-rated tire for a truck. Not enough sold/reviewed yet to get true reviews/ratings.

PMJohns

Reaction score
I used Goodyear Silent Armor / Adventurer on my 2016 Ram 2500 Cummins and got 60,000 plus while towing a 30’ Airstream. My new 2021 Ram 2500 Cummins came with Firestone Tansforce AT. I get more trailer sway with the new truck / tires even though I am using the same Reese Straight Line Hitch with the same trailer and bed load. At this point, I do not know which to blame, a change in the truck suspension or the Firestone tires. I am inclined to believe it is the Firestone tires. Both the Goodyear and Firestone tires are E rated and the tire pressure was / is set to the recommended pressure. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

whitexc

Reaction score
We all need to get rid of the trans junkers. They appear to be the blame of many symptoms from truck manners and towing to getting stuck on wet grass.

The problem is, unlike some here, I couldn't get any money for them even brand new from local shops on trade so I decided to wear them out, at least some before swapping them out. I'm not sure what I will have installed. My truck pretty much will rarely if ever see mud but we do get snow for a good few months here. I do have a Subaru....that will have a brand new engine next month.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Jared2500Ram

Reaction score
The Michelin LTX AT2 is the tire I would run in your situation. They handle great and I have never seen a set get less than 80,000 miles

GBB

Reaction score
Coopers, Hankook, Toyos all good tires..may want a M&S tire if in the snow belt…all three make them

PMJohns

Reaction score
Got a set of Firestones with my new 2500 last year. The tread was down to 6/32 by 12,000 miles. Probably would not have made it through the winter. Replaced them with Goodyear Adventurers (Silent Armors) that used to give me 65,000 miles on my 2016 2500. I am down to 5/32 at 50,000 miles (I replace at 5/32 in the fall - 3/32 in the spring). I use Michelins on my Airstream (9700 lbs) and they still had plenty of tread at 96,000 miles (I replace at 7 years). I am going to try the Michelin Crossclimates.

Users who are viewing this thread