Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heater Matrix Death Bolt Thing!

Crusty old shellback

Reaction score
Be advised. Just read an article the other day. Guy blew up the motor in his hellcat demon 800 HP car. 36K for a new motor.
RAM denied it. He claimed all he did was a exhaust delete. But they found in the computer it had also been tuned.

If the Banks is allowing the turbo to spool up faster and possibly make more power, that could be reason for denial of warranty service.

Now if you have no tune, and can return it to stock before taking it in, you can probably get away with it. ;)

gimmie11s

Reaction score
Negative, cannot bring myself to spend that much coin. Truck is under warranty, once expired I will more than likely pull stock horn and cut out OEM grid heater and reinstall. For this option you 1) Have to be tuned for it unless you like staring at orange lights and 2) Do not live in a cold climate. I have started my truck by bypassing grid heater in 20 degree temps with no problems. We plan on settling down in the South so I will not need it. I have a box of parts sitting in the garage waiting to go on but not until warranty is up. I do not have faith in the 68, must keep warranty :).

Solid game plan. Im really happy with how my truck drives, but being it is a 9k lb hunk of metal with a medium-duty transmission there is always room for improvement in drivabiilty.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Holy crap I had no idea it was that expensive. Id imagine someone other than Banks makes a similar produce for half the price if that's the case.
No there are more expensive ones too like the glacier diesel ones but not emissions compliant at first they look cheaper but they sell all the parts individually it works out to 1200$. Atleast banks is compliant and includes everything!

Enve46

Reaction score
While not a concern for me here in Florida, we are moving to TN in August and I've been thinking of doing the banks just to avoid issues. I have a 2019, 16k mileage thats lived in Fla its whole life but damn, seems like a lot of money to prevent a failure thats well known. Would hate to spend the money and have a recall come out

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
While not a concern for me here in Florida, we are moving to TN in August and I've been thinking of doing the banks just to avoid issues. I have a 2019, 16k mileage thats lived in Fla its whole life but damn, seems like a lot of money to prevent a failure thats well known. Would hate to spend the money and have a recall come out
Just disconnect the grid heater you should not need it anyway where you are the truck will start even at -15 without the grid heater

Reaction score
Blackmarket makes an inline relocation grid heater that is suppose to bolt onto the throttle body of the intake horn and eliminate codes.

techman

Reaction score
Yes, adding a banks will void your warranty.

That statement is a bit of a broad brush stroke. So, if I have a transmission problem under warranty this intake will void my warranty?

Wholistically voiding a warranty is not really a thing. Denying a warranty claim because the repair shop can prove that the aftermarket accessory or modification is the "cause" of the fault is the only reason for a denial.

A big red horn installed on the top of your engine, does not or should not cause an entire bumper to bumper factory in place warranty to be null and void.

Riddick

Reaction score
That statement is a bit of a broad brush stroke. So, if I have a transmission problem under warranty this intake will void my warranty?

Wholistically voiding a warranty is not really a thing. Denying a warranty claim because the repair shop can prove that the aftermarket accessory or modification is the "cause" of the fault is the only reason for a denial.

A big red horn installed on the top of your engine, does not or should not cause an entire bumper to bumper factory in place warranty to be null and void.

Absolutely, your drivetrain warranty could be voided entirely. Outside of drivetrain should still be warranted but entire drivetrain "could be denied". RAM has a solid argument that any component that "potentially" adds hp puts more stress on components than they were designed for. We all know this is complete BS but RAM has a valid argument and I guarantee their legal team has deeper pockets than we do on this. They will drag this out and you could end up losing thousands trying to fight it. It all depends on the dealer as stated earlier. If you have a small warranty claim and the dealer is cool with mods you are ok. For bigger claims I have seen manufactures fly in inspectors to verify the issue/vehicle configuration before approving warranty claims.

MtnRider

Reaction score

Absolutely, I've seen them deny warranty for less. They will flag your truck as "modified" in the system and will deny coverage. Lets be realistic though, yes they will probably cover your radio if it fails but rest assured anything powertrain related they will deny.

MtnRider

Reaction score
This is straight from the Ram web site if anyone has doubts...

"There are several circumstances that may void a warranty or cause the manufacturer to deny a warranty claim, including tampering, salvage title (a vehicle that has been written off by an insurer), modifications to the vehicle, etc. A warranty could also be restricted/voided if the vehicle is not properly maintained, abused or neglected and that abuse or neglect interferes with the proper functioning of the vehicle."

techman

Reaction score
N

"There are several circumstances that may void a warranty or cause the manufacturer to deny a warranty claim, including tampering, salvage title (a vehicle that has been written off by an insurer), modifications to the vehicle, etc. A warranty could also be restricted/voided if the vehicle is not properly maintained, abused or neglected and that abuse or neglect interferes with the proper functioning of the vehicle."

No doubts here. But again, "may", "could", "If" are not absolutes.

It's an uphill battle for sure and best to leave them stock for the majority of owners. If you are in the modification game, you probably have access to your own set of repair tools or experts willing to work around potential warranty pitfalls.

techman

Reaction score
For those of you contemplating installing something from the folks at Banks, here is their stance on mods and warranty:

Q: Will installing a Banks product void my factory warranty?

According to the warranty booklet that came with your vehicle the vehicle manufacturer can only deny warranty coverage if an aftermarket product causes a failure but makes no provision for denying warranty based on the mere presence of such a product. Nor is there a provision for a blanket voiding of warranty coverage. All of our products have been rigorously tested to ensure that a properly installed Banks product is 100% safe on the applications for which they are intended. We suggest that you consult with your dealers service advisor for more info and their stance on aftermarket performance accessories.

This was certainly scrubbed by their attorneys! But I do appreciate the fact that they say before you install, check with your dealer. Might as well be upfront with your service team so there are no surprises!

IndyRamMega

Reaction score

Ok I'll play....window tint can void your warranty....wheels and tires can void your warranty....those airbags fellas add....yup voided....where does the dumba$$3ry end? The dealer has to prove that part is what caused the failure....you have people here speculating the horn voids the warranty and youve had people install one and ask their dealer about it....nobody has reported a voided warranty for installing this horn....that article about the guy with the challenger and exhaust...his car was tuned .....that's what voided the warranty....not the resonator delete....just ask your dealer about upgrading hard parts under the hood....if they say yes they'll void your warranty.....FIND A NEW DEALER....

techman

Reaction score
Ok I'll play....window tint can void your warranty....wheels and tires can void your warranty....those airbags fellas add....yup voided....where does the dumba$$3ry end? The dealer has to prove that part is what caused the failure....you have people here speculating the horn voids the warranty and youve had people install one and ask their dealer about it....nobody has reported a voided warranty for installing this horn....that article about the guy with the challenger and exhaust...his car was tuned .....that's what voided the warranty....not the resonator delete....just ask your dealer about upgrading hard parts under the hood....if they say yes they'll void your warranty.....FIND A NEW DEALER....

Amen brother!

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
This is why the magnuson moss act was created. The dealer has to have solid un deniable evidence that the added part caused the failure

Users who are viewing this thread