Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Heated steering wheel issue

GPurcell01

Reaction score
Got the truck back. Turned out to be a pinched wire at the controller under the driver's seat to be causing the issue. It was awesome having heat back!

tchur1

Reaction score
Got the truck back. Turned out to be a pinched wire at the controller under the driver's seat to be causing the issue. It was awesome having heat back!
Mind providing some direction on which wires were pinched and how to repair? If you have any insights to share it would be awesome. I would love to get the heat back.

GPurcell01

Reaction score
Mind providing some direction on which wires were pinched and how to repair? If you have any insights to share it would be awesome. I would love to get the heat back.
Hopefully someone can say where it is but it was circuit C92 between connectors D2215A to D2708B according to the invoice.

Metternacht

Reaction score
Ok, Took Truck in to the dealer, they diagnosed a bad steering wheel - Quote: ' check heated steering after a while goes off then will not come back on. remove air bag and check wiring circuit c91 and c986 within resistance spec below 3.0ohms heated steering to be at fault parts ordered." was told there was a code, but not what it was. Now I wait 1-2 weeks for the wheel to arrive.
Took it in to get the new wheel, they installed the wheel but now I need a new control module. so waiting on that to arrive and have to go back for that. Not particularly thrilled since its a lot of lost time for me.

GPurcell01

Reaction score
Truck is back at the dealership. Heated steering wheel is intermittently not working again

Last edited:

GPurcell01

Reaction score
Getting a new steering wheel. Because of the wire breaking and shorting out, it killed the heating elements inside the wheel itself.

Of course there's no ETA so will be getting the truck back until it comes in...

tchur1

Reaction score
Had the truck at the dealer today for this along with a couple other small issues, they ordered a new clock spring to fix the issue. Of course the part is on backorder with not ETA. Hoping this fixes it.

Barryg

Reaction score
Well after a several week wait to get it in the shop. They diagnosed the heater as the clockspring. It took almost a month to get it. It is working now hopefully it lasts longer than 27k miles.

I also had them check out my drivers side seat belt retractor as it didn’t work very well retracting. They replaced it and wow what a difference the original must have been bad from the git go and just got worse as it never worked as well as the new one.

They also did some work on the 12” screen, well I shouldn’t say work as all they were willing to do at this point was update the software in it. So far so good but it didn’t previously screw up every day just every other day so we shall see if it did any good, fingers crossed but not holding my breath on that

Metternacht

Reaction score
Took it in to get the new wheel, they installed the wheel but now I need a new control module. so waiting on that to arrive and have to go back for that. Not particularly thrilled since its a lot of lost time for me.
So. truck is currently in for the new control module and a new switch on the wheel. When I dropped it off I explained that the wheel worked fine if you didn't have to turn the wheel. I asked them to double check the clock spring and they "found" the switch was causing an issue. So it stayed overnight for the switch to arrive to day hopefully. Will see what happens. So so far I have a new steering wheel, new module, and switch. I hope this solves the issue, as I cant keep missing Half a day of work to take it in. At least this time they gave me a rental.

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Hey there,

If you'd like some help with parts escalation, please reach out to us. We'd be happy to help!

Callie
Ram Cares
Had the truck at the dealer today for this along with a couple other small issues, they ordered a new clock spring to fix the issue. Of course the part is on backorder with not ETA. Hoping this fixes it.

Metternacht

Reaction score
So, the saga continues, they installed the new parts, Module and switch, now the tests are saying it needs a new wheel again. They don't think that is the case as it just had a new wheel installed. So they still have the truck (day 3) and need to speak with the engineer. From everything I have read My guess is the clock spring needs to be replaced, but we will see what they say. On top of everything the rental they gave me is costing me 6 bucks a day because they don't pay the taxes. that makes no sense to me at all.

Metternacht

Reaction score
So, the saga continues, they installed the new parts, Module and switch, now the tests are saying it needs a new wheel again. They don't think that is the case as it just had a new wheel installed. So they still have the truck (day 3) and need to speak with the engineer. From everything I have read My guess is the clock spring needs to be replaced, but we will see what they say. On top of everything the rental they gave me is costing me 6 bucks a day because they don't pay the taxes. that makes no sense to me at all.
So they opened a star case last night. now they are waiting on a wiring harness that they "hope" will resolve the issue. Truck has been out since Wednesday. They claim to have checked the clock spring and it is fine.

So to recap at this point it has a new steering wheel, new control module, new switch(unknow which one) and now is getting a new wiring harness( due in Monday). Issue is still not resolved.

whitexc

Reaction score
Sounds like it needs a clock spring.

All kidding aside, that stinks. Hopefully they get it fixed soon for yah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
So they opened a star case last night. now they are waiting on a wiring harness that they "hope" will resolve the issue. Truck has been out since Wednesday. They claim to have checked the clock spring and it is fine.

So to recap at this point it has a new steering wheel, new control module, new switch(unknow which one) and now is getting a new wiring harness( due in Monday). Issue is still not resolved.
This is pretty much obvious that it’s going to ultimately end up being the clockspring. I’m guessing they’re throwing everything else at it first to avoid ordering a clockspring because they’re on national backorder.
I need a clockspring also, and my situation is similar to yours, except it’s the driver airbag squib 1. It only happens when turning the steering wheel, and I can watch the open circuit fault set in AlfaOBD while I turn the wheel.
I just checked on an ETA for the clockspring, and as of last night there are 416 backorders, 297 inbound, and no ETA on new orders.

20Limited3500

Reaction score
This is pretty much obvious that it’s going to ultimately end up being the clockspring. I’m guessing they’re throwing everything else at it first to avoid ordering a clockspring because they’re on national backorder.
I need a clockspring also, and my situation is similar to yours, except it’s the driver airbag squib 1. It only happens when turning the steering wheel, and I can watch the open circuit fault set in AlfaOBD while I turn the wheel.
I just checked on an ETA for the clockspring, and as of last night there are 416 backorders, 297 inbound, and no ETA on new orders.

If this has the potential of affecting air bag deployment if turned just right, at what point would this be considered a safety issue and invoke recall? Seems like a lot of back orders. Granted, not like the HPFP fiasco. I know my heated steering has issues if I perform a remote start with keyfob. The dealer ordered a module for mine, that is on back order, too.

tchur1

Reaction score
Im waiting on a new clockspring as well. Was told a couple weeks ago it would be 4-6 weeks but based on your info here, feels like it's going to be a lot longer than that.

Jimmy07

Re-coding from an easy-chair
Reaction score
Im waiting on a new clockspring as well. Was told a couple weeks ago it would be 4-6 weeks but based on your info here, feels like it's going to be a lot longer than that.
Your dealer can tell you if you are one of the 297 inbound. That puts you at about a week.

Users who are viewing this thread