Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has anyone leveled a 3500 with the auto level rear air suspension?

RamGuy84

Reaction score
If so, what kit or parts did you use? I know there are some sensors in the rear. The only kit I've seen was from Carli and it was crazy expensive. I know BDS made a kit for the 2500 w/ rear air ride, but it says only for 2014-2018 models.

MotoFish

Reaction score
I did some research a while back in case I wanted to do this with my new truck...still waiting for my 5th Gen arrival, but that’s another story...anyways, Thuren is an option. However, they aren’t much cheaper than Carli. Save your money and do it right. It’s gunna cost you about a thousand bucks or slightly more. You could always buy a cheap spacer 1.5 to 2 inch, probably for under 200 bucks. However, the guys at CJC Off-Road have options available for 3500’s with auto leveling suspension. They are mostly 1.75” kits. They come with soft ride front springs and Fox shocks tuned to match. Don’t forget, you NEED a front track bar to ensure your front end is where it needs to be. Also get it aligned too. No matter how you look at it, it’s gunna cost WAY less than a Chevy or Ford lift. Just say’n. I did the cheap route on my 3rd Gen Ram and eventually added an adjustable track bar. I wish I would have bit the bullet and did it right from the start, so I will do the new truck right once I am ready. Good Luck.

RamGuy84

Reaction score
My current Ram 3500 I have a Thuren kit, Fox 2.0 shocks, Thuren track bar and steering stabilizer and 1” rear block.

RamGuy84

Reaction score
Nice setup. The rear air operates correctly with no issues?

Reaction score

jpidgie

Reaction score
I installed 2.5" Carli levelling coils, and 1" rough country leveling blocks in the rear. The rear is sitting about 3/4" taller than the front. I personally wouldn't recommend 'lifting' the rear end with the factory airbags with adjustable links. There is a way that you can micro-adjust the factory airbags by loosening the frame side bracket, and rotating the mounting bracket a few degrees in either direction. I found in normal everyday driving conditions, if there is any air in them, the ride is significantly worse. I keep them adjusted to barely inflated when unloaded, you can tell by pressing your thumb into the airbag, and it will give about 1/2". With either method, make small adjustments, take a small drive to let the suspension do its thing, then adjust again.

@Wvmountaineer87 nice truck. Love the black and gold rims. I almost chose those for mine... they definitely look better on yours!

gimmie11s

Reaction score

That is a great idea. Theoretically, these would give you infinite adjustability with the stock system. The main complaint about the stock air ride is it's lack of adjustment.

Reaction score
That is a great idea. Theoretically, these would give you infinite adjustability with the stock system. The main complaint about the stock air ride is it's lack of adjustment.
They do allow for about 1” adjustment up on down. But as @jpidgie stated, when you increase pressure to achieve ride height it makes for a rough ride.
I plan to install a 1” airbag spacer and modify the adjustable links to allow for min pressure in the bags in hopes for a softer ride

jpidgie

Reaction score
@Wvmountaineer87 I do also have the airbag spacers; forgot to mention them. The spacers, blocks, many tiny sensor adjustments, combined with much lower tire air pressures - 45 in the front 40 in the rear, results in the best overall ride quality that I've found (on 35's). Tire wear is even and consistent, ride is as comfortable as possible for a 1-ton, and before @Brutal_HO asks... no it isn't "squishy" :)

I crank up the tire pressures by about 20psi respectively when towing.

gimmie11s

Reaction score
They do allow for about 1” adjustment up on down. But as @jpidgie stated, when you increase pressure to achieve ride height it makes for a rough ride.
I plan to install a 1” airbag spacer and modify the adjustable links to allow for min pressure in the bags in hopes for a softer ride

Very cool. I have a Mega dually on order so i'd be interested in going lower (softer), not higher.

The 1" spacer is a great idea for stock ride height guys looking for a softer ride while unloaded.

THC1

Reaction score
My current Ram 3500 I have a Thuren kit, Fox 2.0 shocks, Thuren track bar and steering stabilizer and 1” rear block
I've ordered the Thuren kit, fox 2.0 shocks for my soon to arrive 2500 Gasser. I did not add the front track bar....I realize this is beneficial but most don't add that immediately. Trying to understand the real difference with or without it??

Matty Rich

Reaction score
Hey Guys!
I’m new to the forum and also the HD world. I recently upgraded to a 2021 Laramie 6.7 with Rear Air from a 2020 Rebel and 15 Rebel before that. I absolutely love the truck. When unloaded I run the truck in “Alt Trailer Height” and it gets the truck closer to level which im ok with. I’d rather not do a front leveling kit as I have limited clearance in my garage. I like the idea of doing a 1” air bag spacer and adjustable links to archive a softer ride in the rear. What have you guys used to achieve this? Carli Spacer and the adjustable links from Revel.. and thats it?

jpidgie

Reaction score
@Matty Rich - The Ram 3500 air assist airbags do not add comfort to the ride. They are used as supplemental support to keep the truck level when loaded down. The spacers and links that you are reading about above have been added to help lift the trucks for clearing larger tires. Now... if you add a 1-2" leaf spring spacer, with a respectively sized airbag spacer, you can adjust it to keep most of the air out of the airbags during normal everyday (non-hauling) driving, which will give you a better ride. This combined with adjusting the tire pressures will give the best ride without serious modifications.

If this isn't enough of a change, the next step would be to change out the spring pack with a Carli progressive or similar setup... this is spendy, and reduces the overall load rating of the truck a little.

jpidgie

Reaction score
I didn't install the trackbar with my level kit either. The drivers side does extend about 1/2" further than the passenger side. After 20k miles, tire wear is normal, she tracks true down the road, and other than the visual of the tire, I cant really say that I've noticed.

Having said this, I am planning on replacing it with a Rough Country adjustable track bar that is much lower cost, that wasn't available when I did mine a couple of years ago, and Carli Sway bar. Why now? The next time I go in there to make any changes will hopefully be the last. I'm still debating on upgrading the ball joints with the Carli lifetime models, just to tick that box and make sure that I wont be going in there again :)

Thadigan

Reaction score
I am looking for +2” rear shocks for 2020 ram3500 with factory air suspension. Has anyone come across these. I would like to go billstein

Reaction score
I am looking for +2” rear shocks for 2020 ram3500 with factory air suspension. Has anyone come across these. I would like to go billstein
I ditched the Bilsteins for these. Normally I would never be this excited to recommend a RC product but they outperform both the Fox 2.0 and the Bilstein. They are 1.5” longer than the stock shocks that came on my 3500 factory air ride.

Attachments

• 751C429C-801A-4633-9FC8-EF3AC11C4BC6.jpeg
    751C429C-801A-4633-9FC8-EF3AC11C4BC6.jpeg
    291.2 KB · Views: 110

Users who are viewing this thread