Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hardwire Dash Cam Fuse Recommendations?

Will_T

Reaction score
I am going to hardwire a dashcam and a rear view camera for the trailer, maybe eventually something else. I am connecting them to the upfitter switch power/wires I have installed under the dash. Originally I was thinking I would connect the upfitter wires to 12 volt cigarette type power plugs but then I realized it would be easier and take less space to direct wire them.

All the hardwire instructions I have read or seen with hardwire kits describe plugging into a fuse block to get power with a jumper cable with two fuse slots but I am not doing it that way. I have 12v to 5v step down reducers to do what the cigarette style plugs do on the dashcam and other devices. My question has to do with fusing devices like dashcams when connecting them directly to the stepped down 5v power source. Connecting it this way, I believe I should also add an inline fuse to the positive lead to the dashcam between the 5v output and the dashcam? What is recommended for this? Thanks.

Last edited:

Will_T

Reaction score
I am just going to wire in a regular inline automotive fuse holder with a 2 or 3 amp fuse for each device controlled by an upfitter switch. Not sure if it is best after or before the 12v to 5v stepdown converter but I think the fuse holders will be more accessible if wired in after the converter.

Rob1013692

Reaction score
I have a ThinkWare Camera. I had them in old vehicles and new truck and wife's SUV. Nice cameras. But I was also able to use this.....

Users who are viewing this thread