Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gun Holster/Magnet for Cab of Truck

lovegolf44

Reaction score
Recently someone gave me a "gun magnet" like the one in the link below. I was curious if anyone here had installed a similar device and where did you put it?

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Mount-Holster-Vehicle-Home/dp/B01LXCJHKG

I forget what brand mine is but it'll hold my full size 9mm (17+1) with the streamlight attached. I'm more curious if I could drill the small screws that come with it into the hard plastic on the lower dash?

If anyone has any experience with a similar mount please let me know. I'll try to post pictures when I get mine installed.
I love the idea but we have carry conceal here in FL and that's not considered concealed; therefore against the law. Not to mention other states where it could be considered unlawful too.

UglyViking

Reaction score
A magnet is a terrible idea for a holster. While I could give you a laundry list of the reasons why here is the real selling point: there isn't a single cool guy team on earth that is running them. Not when fully kitted, not for long term missions in vehicles, not under cover, never. If a highly skilled group of guys who will forget more than I'll ever know about firearms and tactics won't use them why would you?

A gun belongs in a holster. If you're going to be in the vehicle for 2+ hours and don't want the discomfort that comes from it then consider a console safe (prob best to make sure it's not chambered), or you can do a holster on a ram ball attached to the seat, console, floor, etc. but then you're pulling your gun+holster off and also reholstering, etc. that's a lot of weapon manipulation so it's best to do that only on long drives.

Do as you wish and there are guys that say a magnet is fine and hasn't caused and issue and they are prob right. That said, I guarantee that I can outshoot, out maneuver and out gun every last one of them. Not because I'm anybody special, but because I pay attention and when guys who have been contracting overseas forever speak I listen. If you wanna be yet another woodbooger with a gun magnet, that's your right, but anyone that knows jack about firearms isn't gonna respect you for it.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
A magnet is a terrible idea for a holster. While I could give you a laundry list of the reasons why here is the real selling point: there isn't a single cool guy team on earth that is running them. Not when fully kitted, not for long term missions in vehicles, not under cover, never. If a highly skilled group of guys who will forget more than I'll ever know about firearms and tactics won't use them why would you?

A gun belongs in a holster. If you're going to be in the vehicle for 2+ hours and don't want the discomfort that comes from it then consider a console safe (prob best to make sure it's not chambered), or you can do a holster on a ram ball attached to the seat, console, floor, etc. but then you're pulling your gun+holster off and also reholstering, etc. that's a lot of weapon manipulation so it's best to do that only on long drives.

Do as you wish and there are guys that say a magnet is fine and hasn't caused and issue and they are prob right. That said, I guarantee that I can outshoot, out maneuver and out gun every last one of them. Not because I'm anybody special, but because I pay attention and when guys who have been contracting overseas forever speak I listen. If you wanna be yet another woodbooger with a gun magnet, that's your right, but anyone that knows jack about firearms isn't gonna respect you for it.
This guy has sense ^

you can pull an IWB holster off your belt and re-attach it to your belt very easily. The gun stays holstered, you haven’t muzzled anyone and the trigger guard was covered.

Gun mounting magnet is the fudd-iest thing I’ve ever heard of.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
I would never use a magnet mount in a vehicle. Properly securing your gear was a huge thing when I was in the military for various reasons. The main reason being you don't want a couple pounds of steel flying the around the vehicle in the event of an "accident". Would also suck if that thing gets lodged under the brake pedal in various scenarios.

I have a dedicated gun I keep in my center console in a kydex holster so I don't have to unholster or remove my appendix carry gun. Ultimately, I want to mount a Safari land QLS mount to the outside of my console to work with my gun belt setup. Open carry is legal in AZ so I roll with guns all over my truck depending on the activities for the day.

However you carry or store, it should be based off the environment you are in. I roll different depending if I'm at home in the country or if I'm going down to Phoenix.

Oh and again, the magnet is a horrible idea in a vehicle.

Last edited:

jeffjcalweb

Reaction score
I have to say I could only chuckle watching the Amazon owner reviews of this product. My favorite line was the guy who had one I think in his Tundra....that he has to be careful while driving to not bump it with his leg or it falls on the floor "as it has done a few times". WTF. This is why we can't have nice things people....

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Again, the magnet mounts are a horrible way to mount a gun in a vehicle. Fine for in a house or something like that.

Here is what I put together.

McHenry2500

Reaction score
I ended up mounting the magnet under my work bench in the garage. I still haven't found a good mounting solution for my truck pistol so I've pretty much stuck to keeping it in my holster when I travel.

McHenry2500

Reaction score
In a holster, I hope, and not a magnet.

Current rig is a simple Fobus holster for my carry gun. The magnet stays attached to the underside of the work bench with a 22 revolver.

I'm having a custom Kydex holster made for my IDPA competition gun though.

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
If your holster / carry position isn’t comfortable for you to carry all day on your person, then you need to change your holster or your carry position.

Edit: fobus. There’s your problem.

McHenry2500

Reaction score
Different sidearms and different holsters depending where I'm going and what I'm doing.

For the record: I have quite a few Fobus holsters and like them alot. They're not as fancy as some of my kydex or leather but great quality for the $$$.

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
If your holster / carry position isn’t comfortable for you to carry all day on your person, then you need to change your holster or your carry position.

Edit: fobus. There’s your problem.
you carry yours how you want and ill carry mine how i want.....until my weapon jumps out of however im carrying it and shoots you....you have no gripe....

Users who are viewing this thread