Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gun Holster/Magnet for Cab of Truck

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
My "travel carry" is my 1911. Alot of states limit magazine capacity to 10 rounds and it's my only pistol (besides revolvers) that fits the bill.

I do prefer my pistol have a safety mechanism of some kind, but more and more new models no longer have it. When I purchased my M&P I had to specifically order a model with thumb safety.

Yes, I have a few 10 rounders for travel too. My main carry guns are all M&Ps.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I was previously running a full size M&P, love the gun but recently made the migration to Glock to explore the option, prob pickup a Sig soon to try as well. I find the Glock grip angle not near as nice as the M&P but the magwell on the Glock is so much larger that mag changes are almost cheating.

As was said, whatever you do, be proficient.

McHenry2500

Reaction score
As an engineer I think the design of GLOCK is awesome and probably one of the better functioning pistols on the market. As an avid competition shooter, a GLOCK feels like a brick in my hand. Ergonomics are terrible and unless you move to an aftermarket option I don't believe any standard GLOCK has a safety?

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
As an engineer I think the design of GLOCK is awesome and probably one of the better functioning pistols on the market. As an avid competition shooter, a GLOCK feels like a brick in my hand. Ergonomics are terrible and unless you move to an aftermarket option I don't believe any standard GLOCK has a safety?
Glocks actually have three safeties.
1 Trigger safety
2 Firing pin safety
3 Drop safety

UglyViking

Reaction score
Assuming you mean an external thumb safety, I don't know if Glock has a public offering with one. It's getting more and more rare to see them on modern striker fired guns, although they do exist. I know when Glock was competing for the new DOD pistol contract there was a thumb safety on their M17 per the contract requirements, however when that gun was released to the civi market it didn't have one.

The only safety you really need for a pistol is between your ears anyway. A proper fitting kydex holster, good trigger finger placement and proper safety handling and you're not gonna have an issue. Rifles have an external safety since there is no trigger guard. For what it's worth, revolvers have been around forever and never had safeties, at least none of the models I've ever seen.

DontSlamMyRam

Reaction score
I recently picked up an Alien Gear Shape Shift kit for my VP9. Its a local company out of Idaho witha good Rep. It's pretty universal depending on what you're after that day. It came with a flat mount plate that you could mount just about anywhere. Thumb release on this option and full trigger guard in all configurations as well. Might be worth a look to those looking for a secure option that's easily mounted. 20211207_150432.jpg20211207_150326.jpg20211207_150347.jpg20211207_150357.jpg

Rockcrawlindude

a rock crawlin’ dude
Reaction score
Thankfully, they don't also use their sense of superiority instead of constructive comments about why it's a bad idea.
It’s like a spidey sense. It tingles when somebody has a terrible idea. It’s a blessing and a curse at the same time… Kinda like the ignore button (;

John Jensen

Reaction score
It's a porcelain gun made in Germany. It doesn't show up on airport X-ray machines and it costs more than you make in a month.

P.S. I'm guessing you missed the reference. It's kind of infamous in gun circles. :)
You are so wrong on all counts.
Glocks are made in Austria and the USA. They are made of a high-strength nylon-based polymer invented by Gaston Glock, called Polymer 2. The barrel, slide and spring are metal. They are not infamous! In fact, the choice of law enforcement. Also the choice of certain military groups, like the Navy Seals. Probably the most popular gun available

Last edited:

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
Glocks are made in Austria and the USA. The frame is made of a high-strength nylon-based polymer invented by Gaston Glock, called Polymer 2. The barrel, slide and spring are metal. They are not infamous! In fact, the choice of law enforcement. Also the choice of certain military groups, like the Navy Seals. Probably the most popular gun available
Cmon guy...debating guns is one thing but missing a Die Hard reference is another....he even told you there was a reference....

McHenry2500

Reaction score
Glocks are made in Austria and the USA. The frame is made of a high-strength nylon-based polymer invented by Gaston Glock, called Polymer 2. The barrel, slide and spring are metal. They are not infamous! In fact, the choice of law enforcement. Also the choice of certain military groups, like the Navy Seals. Probably the most popular gun available
While the handguns seen in the film appear to be the Glock 17 model, in a now-notorious scene early in the film, McClane (Bruce Willis) identifies the handgun to Chief Lorenzo (Dennis Franz) as a "Glock 7," (no such model exists) and recites a string of inaccuracies, describing it as "a porcelain gun made in Germany that doesn't show up on your airport metal detectors and costs more than you make in a month."

The most glaring misconception is that the weapon is undetectable to the X-Ray machines at the airport, while in reality, Glock never produced such a handgun. In fact, 83.7% (by weight) of the Glock pistol is normal ordnance steel and the "plastic" parts are a dense nylon Zytel-based polymer known as "Polymer 2", which is radio-opaque and is therefore visible to X-ray security equipment. In addition, virtually all of these "plastic" parts contain embedded steel not to make the firearms "detectable", but to increase functionality and shooting accuracy. Contrary to popular movies like Die Hard 2, neither Glock nor any other gun maker has ever produced a "porcelain", "ceramic" or "plastic" firearm which is undetectable by ordinary security screening devices. Even if a pistol that was completely undetectable by either X-ray machines or metal detectors were to be developed, the ammunition inside would still be detectable. Another mistake is the claim the Glocks are made in Germany when in reality, they are manufactured in Austria.

-IMFDB ARTICLE

John Jensen

Reaction score
Cmon guy...debating guns is one thing but missing a Die Hard reference is another....he even told you there was a reference....
I wasn't debating, I was correcting. Yes, I missed the reference, had no idea about Die Hard, I do now thanks to McHenry.
For me, this started in post #3 where he said, "Bet it won't work with a Glock 7". I know there is no Glock 7 but had no idea that was a Die Hard thing.
I apologize, should have kept my mouth shut.

Ed95pont

Reaction score
As an avid gun guy I avoid un-holstering as much as possible. Stays in the holster cant get to the trigger no negligent discharge. No matter how good you are people make mistakes. You need to limit opportunity. With that mindset I dislike the idea of a permanently mounted holster. If you feel the need to move the firearm off your body do it in the holster and figure a way to secure it. The best is just leave it on you. Find a comfortable setup that works.

For me a p365 at 4 o'clock with a cheap local made iwb is my favorite . I could carry it for a month and it wont bother me. If I do have a setup that is not comfortable on along trip it usually is not comfortable for all-day carry for me either. If I move it on a long trip it stays in its holster and goes in the center counsel with a enough stuff around it to keep the muzzle pointing forward.

That Aliengear setup looks nice if you can move the holster from its mount while holstered

Last edited:

Robtheelder

Reaction score
I use magnets for several hand guns in the home. I have a .45 that is hanging inside a cabinet for example so its quick and easy to access and its ready to be locked and loaded.

I don't carry or store my pistols loaded. It only takes a second to load a round and that gives me time to acquire situational awareness. I carried weapons for decades while in the Army and the NG. Safety is first.

I keep a 9mm single stack in the center console of both my trucks in a sneaky Pete holster so its both out of sight and readily available. I also carry a canvas bad with 10 ready magazines just in case. My plan is to never need it.

My experience has been that criticizing the decisions of others is seldom in the direction of goodness. And this, in my opinion, applies double when a member asks a question. If I have concerns about the choices then I try to voice them in a constructive manner and keep emotion out of the exchange.

If an owner wants to carry a pistol using a magnet, I am all for it personally. I would recommend that there not be a round chambered as an additional safety measure but that is just me. :)

Just as an aside I have an semi-auto shotgun for home defense. If they move out to mid range I have a 300 blackout and a AR platform .223 For longer ranges there is the Ruger precision rifle in .243. Or the M1A1. Never more than five steps from a response.

Shake and Bake. Iron bomb and Napalm

UglyViking

Reaction score
I use magnets for several hand guns in the home. I have a .45 that is hanging inside a cabinet for example so its quick and easy to access and its ready to be locked and loaded.

I don't carry or store my pistols loaded. It only takes a second to load a round and that gives me time to acquire situational awareness. I carried weapons for decades while in the Army and the NG. Safety is first.

I keep a 9mm single stack in the center console of both my trucks in a sneaky Pete holster so its both out of sight and readily available. I also carry a canvas bad with 10 ready magazines just in case. My plan is to never need it.

My experience has been that criticizing the decisions of others is seldom in the direction of goodness. And this, in my opinion, applies double when a member asks a question. If I have concerns about the choices then I try to voice them in a constructive manner and keep emotion out of the exchange.

If an owner wants to carry a pistol using a magnet, I am all for it personally. I would recommend that there not be a round chambered as an additional safety measure but that is just me. :)

Just as an aside I have an semi-auto shotgun for home defense. If they move out to mid range I have a 300 blackout and a AR platform .223 For longer ranges there is the Ruger precision rifle in .243. Or the M1A1. Never more than five steps from a response.

Shake and Bake. Iron bomb and Napalm
If you carry a pistol in your truck secured by a magnet, you're an idiot, full stop. I understand you're point here, and you catch more with honey than vinegar and all that, but that is a terribly unsafe way to carry a weapon. There isn't a single use case where you should be carrying a firearm where a magnet is the primary form of retention.

Furthermore, even having it not chambered, you better hope that in an accident the change in speed doesn't chamber that round for you.

I don't understand how there is even a defense of carrying a weapon on a f%*king magnet in a moving vehicle.

Also, the number of questionable choices you listed here, which I assume you meant to act as credentials, was shocking.
  • Don't carry your weapon chambered, and think somehow you'll have the decision to chamber a round before needing to use it. I don't know how many gunfights you've seen happen but they happen fast. Hide behind the safety excuse if you like, but that is all it is.
  • Sneaky pete holster is a terrible holster. They aren't fit to the gun, it's far too easy to put your finger into the trigger guard while reaching for it, just a bad design made by someone who clearly doesn't train with their firearms.
  • 10 mags ready in a canvas bag? What are you prepping for? What sort of gun fight do you expect to get into where you will need what I assume is over 100 rounds of ammo, out of a pistol. Why not carry a foldable ar in your truck, 2 mags, massively easier to manage for numerous reasons. At the very least do a flux build or something. I can almost guarantee you're rocking iron sights as well.
  • Your decades of Army and NG service have just trained you to a low bar of "don't shoot yourself, don't shoot anyone else unless we tell you". I've seen and shot the army standards, they are not hard.
Please don't defend poor decisions like this. It's one thing to help and offer guidance, but simply saying "do what you want" doesn't provide any benefit to anyone and is why we get so many people who are buying uncle mikes holsters and thinking they are john wick by rigging magnets into their car so they can live out their deep cover fantasies.

jetrinka

Reaction score
Please don't defend poor decisions like this. It's one thing to help and offer guidance, but simply saying "do what you want" doesn't provide any benefit to anyone and is why we get so many people who are buying uncle mikes holsters and thinking they are john wick by rigging magnets into their car so they can live out their deep cover fantasies.
^^^This^^^ Firearm safety isn't a "whatever suits you best do it" thing and sugar coating it will only ever lead to severe embarrassment at the very least and tragedy at the very most.

Edit: For a personal story of severe embarrassment look over here! I used to store my pistols in a gun safe with a full mag but nothing in the chamber. I went to grab one one day, checked the chamber, forgot about the mag being loaded and let the slide go chambering a round. I pulled the trigger to dry fire it and fired said round into the safe. Luckily the only thing damaged was the slide on a cheap RIA 1911. With ears ringing and my wife wondering who set off fireworks in the house I sheepishly decided to take firearms safety much more seriously. That was 10 years ago. Not planning on having another accident.

Now the only weapons that ever have anything in them are the ones on my person. Secured in a good holster with one in the pipe ready to go.

Last edited:

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
If you carry a pistol in your truck secured by a magnet, you're an idiot, full stop. I understand you're point here, and you catch more with honey than vinegar and all that, but that is a terribly unsafe way to carry a weapon. There isn't a single use case where you should be carrying a firearm where a magnet is the primary form of retention.

Furthermore, even having it not chambered, you better hope that in an accident the change in speed doesn't chamber that round for you.

I don't understand how there is even a defense of carrying a weapon on a f%*king magnet in a moving vehicle.

Also, the number of questionable choices you listed here, which I assume you meant to act as credentials, was shocking.
  • Don't carry your weapon chambered, and think somehow you'll have the decision to chamber a round before needing to use it. I don't know how many gunfights you've seen happen but they happen fast. Hide behind the safety excuse if you like, but that is all it is.
  • Sneaky pete holster is a terrible holster. They aren't fit to the gun, it's far too easy to put your finger into the trigger guard while reaching for it, just a bad design made by someone who clearly doesn't train with their firearms.
  • 10 mags ready in a canvas bag? What are you prepping for? What sort of gun fight do you expect to get into where you will need what I assume is over 100 rounds of ammo, out of a pistol. Why not carry a foldable ar in your truck, 2 mags, massively easier to manage for numerous reasons. At the very least do a flux build or something. I can almost guarantee you're rocking iron sights as well.
  • Your decades of Army and NG service have just trained you to a low bar of "don't shoot yourself, don't shoot anyone else unless we tell you". I've seen and shot the army standards, they are not hard.
You really think too highly of your own viewpoint...any of those crappy holsters you don't like can be good holsters with a thumb safety...your military view is also getting old...not everyone who served is hitting their head on this "low" bar you keep jaw jacking about...you have all these tacticool opinions and think anyone that thinks different than you is an idiot...your statements about safeties and a lack of training or knowledge in how to handle a weapon is also comical...you're a Glock nutswinger....met plenty of those...you know the whole can shoot while frozen and packed full of mud types! Give it a rest....

UglyViking

Reaction score
You really think too highly of your own viewpoint...any of those crappy holsters you don't like can be good holsters with a thumb safety...your military view is also getting old...not everyone who served is hitting their head on this "low" bar you keep jaw jacking about...you have all these tacticool opinions and think anyone that thinks different than you is an idiot...your statements about safeties and a lack of training or knowledge in how to handle a weapon is also comical...you're a Glock nutswinger....met plenty of those...you know the whole can shoot while frozen and packed full of mud types! Give it a rest....
Bro, I could say the same for your own view. I don't think highly of my own opinion, I think highly of the opinion of those who know much more than I do. I am at least providing details as to why I think certain decisions are bad. All you're saying is that I'm wrong. Let me try this again:
  • I already said why a sneaky pete is a poor holster. Leather holsters are ok but I'd recommend 99% of users towards kydex. It's gotten much, much better over the years and as R&D has been done they are also much more comfortable, and stable.
  • Leather ages and gets less stiff, which can result in accidents. Leather holsters can be worn for comfort, but generally best to avoid overtraining with them, or at least making sure they are still in optimal condition.
  • Any of these oddball holsters (sneaky pete, those oddball leather flap holsters for "deep" carry, etc.) are generally a no-go and 90% of people that use them generally don't train with them.
  • IWB holster options are a dime a dozen, there are some great names out there, you should be mostly sticking with kydex on both sides. These half fabric half kydex holsters can be ok options, but full kydex is generally the best recommendation.
  • My view on thumb safety is based off modern striker fired firearms and modern theory of pistol dynamics. If you feel that a thumb safety on a pistol is necessary, then by all means, but I don't see any current guys, either in the competitive shooting realm or in the "tactical" realm using them as they are unnecessary additions. Again, if you feel it has to be there then by all means, they make them, have at it.
  • My views on the military are based off the experiences that I have with guys who "shoot" and were in the military. I didn't call out military, someone used the military background as some sort of call to authority to showcase that they had that skillset. It's like saying because you have a drivers license you can race at Monaco. You have passed one bar, congrats. It's just not a high bar. Now, if you said you were a USPSA grand master, then it would be a different story. If you said you were a former Delta guy, it would again be a different story.
  • I've owned, and do own, many different brands of pistols, from Glock, to S&W, HK to Sig. My first pistol was a gift from pops, a hi-point in .40, it was a royal piece of garbage. I speak from the experience I have, and those who are much much better than I am.
So, I can at least make attempts to defend my points. I speak from experience, both personal hands on, in person lectures, and online/DVD stuff. I am giving my opinion based off a solid POV. You are coming here to defend your crap decisions and getting angry that someone else is pointing them out as crap.

I understand I'm not winning you over, that's fine. I either came out too strong initially or you just didn't have an open mind to begin with, it doesn't matter either way because we won't convince each other. What I do hope, is that anyone who reads this can see my reasoning for doing/not doing something and at least take it into consideration. Your defense of poor decisions without any reasoning except "people can do what they want" adds no value to the conversation. Obviously people can do whatever they want, that is why people make both intelligent and stupid decisions. I am attempting to provide strong reasoning for why to do, or not do certain things.

I understand that the internet offers no tone, and I'll admit fully that I may have added a bit too much snark to this message but I'll state that my intent here is to share a POV based off a lot of study and hands on experience. Take it for what you will, or don't but I will not "give it a rest" as I feel strongly against this magnet as an option for vehicle carry. Although, if an admin comes in and kicks me out, I guess I'll be forced too…

Users who are viewing this thread