Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gun Holster/Magnet for Cab of Truck

UglyViking

Reaction score
For the love of god, no magnets.

If you're driving < 90 minutes, I find that you can generally be semi comfortable keeping your pistol in your holster. If you're carrying in a weird position like small of the back (first, stop doing that) you may struggle, but appendix carry up to about 4-5 o'clock carry should be ok, so long as you're sitting up like your momma told you to.

If you're driving >90 minutes, you can put it in a gun safe in the console, or just toss it in the console (keep in in the holster for christ sake). Depending on your rig setup, and all that it's probably best practice to "un-chamber" the round. Alternatively, if you're going to be off-roading or driving long distances and you want comfort but quick access you can mount a dedicated holster (this should be something that "locks" like a safariland) somewhere to the cab.

UglyViking

Reaction score
you carry yours how you want and ill carry mine how i want.....until my weapon jumps out of however im carrying it and shoots you....you have no gripe....
I don't think that anyone has a gripe here, I think it's more about providing information.

I've had the pleasure of shooting and learning from some top notch dudes. Competitive 3 gun shooters, USPSA grand masters, force recon, team guy, etc. I personally share from what others have learned. There are a few things that are consistent no-no's. If you want to run a hi-point in a fabric uncle mikes at the small of your back, be my guest. If you wanna run a magnet mount in your truck, by all means. Like you do you, doesn't impact my life.

That said, if you're welcome to potentially learning something, or hearing a different way to do a thing, there can be value in sharing the why's.

I get you weren't quoting me, but I felt the need to respond. For whatever reason guns seem to bring out the alpha male in every dude. Somehow every guy seems to think they know everything and build and share bad habits based off bad ideas. I'm not so much as saying that is you, just saying it happens all the time.

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
I don't think that anyone has a gripe here, I think it's more about providing information.

I've had the pleasure of shooting and learning from some top notch dudes. Competitive 3 gun shooters, USPSA grand masters, force recon, team guy, etc. I personally share from what others have learned. There are a few things that are consistent no-no's. If you want to run a hi-point in a fabric uncle mikes at the small of your back, be my guest. If you wanna run a magnet mount in your truck, by all means. Like you do you, doesn't impact my life.

That said, if you're welcome to potentially learning something, or hearing a different way to do a thing, there can be value in sharing the why's.

I get you weren't quoting me, but I felt the need to respond. For whatever reason guns seem to bring out the alpha male in every dude. Somehow every guy seems to think they know everything and build and share bad habits based off bad ideas. I'm not so much as saying that is you, just saying it happens all the time.
Repeating something you don't like isn't providing info....for the record I don't use magnets....I'm ex-military....and I'm not talking about the Air Force! Ha.... opinions are like a$$holes....

UglyViking

Reaction score
Repeating something you don't like isn't providing info....for the record I don't use magnets....I'm ex-military....and I'm not talking about the Air Force! Ha.... opinions are like a$$holes....
I think the concept of attempting to find the right holster and position was the info, but take it as you will.

McHenry2500

Reaction score

I will say some of the opinions and info in this thread deterred me from mounting the magnet holder in my truck (I now recognize it wasn't a great idea, but it was a gift) but I was able to mount it elsewhere and use it.

There seems to be an issue in the firearms world of people trash talking certain brands and models based on conjecture and hearsay. I get alot of comments at the range about my Taurus .45ACP and my response is always the same, "what was wrong with the Taurus you owned?". Probably 99% of the time the person has never owned or even shot a Taurus. This same mentality can be said for almost any brand.

Explaining why a certain holster/pistol combo is or is not suited for personal carry or vehicle carry is fine.
Making jokes and bashing what other people use just based on whatever bull$&*t you read online isn't.

UglyViking

Reaction score
I will say some of the opinions and info in this thread deterred me from mounting the magnet holder in my truck (I now recognize it wasn't a great idea, but it was a gift) but I was able to mount it elsewhere and use it.

There seems to be an issue in the firearms world of people trash talking certain brands and models based on conjecture and hearsay. I get alot of comments at the range about my Taurus .45ACP and my response is always the same, "what was wrong with the Taurus you owned?". Probably 99% of the time the person has never owned or even shot a Taurus. This same mentality can be said for almost any brand.

Explaining why a certain holster/pistol combo is or is not suited for personal carry or vehicle carry is fine.
Making jokes and bashing what other people use just based on whatever bull$&*t you read online isn't.
I can't tell you what is wrong with the current Taurus, but I know previously they had shoddy QA, worse CS, their polymer material was awful, they had plastic "iron sights" on a lot of models, I know at least a few had plastic guide rods and are known to have breaking issues (I'm sure you'll pop online and hear about issues with safeties, mag drops, slide catch, etc.). Your experience with them may be fantastic, but I'd never trust my life to one, especially with so many other top tier brands. Every brand can and has had issues, but Taurus seems to have had them all, often together.

You're right though, I've never owned a Taurus, doesn't mean that I can't review and have an opinion of them though. The comment about "the same can be said for almost any brand" doesn't hold as much water with me. It may be true, to a point, but it's not universally true.

My aunt and uncle both own multiple hi-points (pistols and rifles), and even though my Uncle owns many, many nicer guns he defends the hi-points. I have absolutely no idea how or why but he is not alone in that. So while every brand has their loyal following, there are some damn near universal truths out there.

As to the jokes and bashing and what have you, I think a little of that is the in crowd vs the out. A lot of guys walk into their local gun store, pickup something, buy a holster for it, shoot it from time to time and never think twice. They want the firearm for protection or because they think it's cool, and they copy some of what they see around. I don't fault those people for not knowing at all, how could I?

That said, there is a difference between not knowing, and actively turning away knowledge. That I do fault people for. It's not gonna impact my life one way or another, but I do judge people for it. There is a lot of **** I don't know, and sometimes I put my foot in my mouth, sometimes on this very forum, but I always admit and hope to learn.

A bit long winded but hope it adds some color to my POV.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score

Some of the worst shooters and gun handlers I've seen are ex-military and ex-LEO haha.

Lots of "only tan cargo pants and 1911s" in this thread lol. How many punisher skulls decals do we have here? lol
Times, equipment, and best practices change.

"No floppy holsters" should be added as the 5th gun safety rule.

5546662595_4b5d2dfaa1_o.jpg

leather-holster-ad-nd-1.jpg

McHenry2500

Reaction score
Some of the worst shooters and gun handlers I've seen are ex-military and ex-LEO haha.

What's a "floppy holster"?

You're right though, I've never owned a Taurus, doesn't mean that I can't review and have an opinion of them though. The comment about "the same can be said for almost any brand" doesn't hold as much water with me. It may be true, to a point, but it's not universally true.

From my own personal experience my Taurus pistols (I have 2) have been very very reliable. I have 1000's of rounds through my Taurus 45 and very few issues. But, I did have a Kimber 45 for a few short months and found that to be one of the worst handguns I ever used. Constant jamming issues and failure to feed. Again, this is only my personal experience with 2 similar pistols by 2 very different manufacturers.

IndyRamMega

Reaction score

Lots of "only tan cargo pants and 1911s" in this thread lol. How many punisher skulls decals do we have here? lol

5546662595_4b5d2dfaa1_o.jpg

leather-holster-ad-nd-1.jpg
I referenced the service to mention I'm not just some call of duty kid...I'll agree with some of the worst shooters comment....that pic you posted and some other incidents is why my pistols have slide/thumb safeties....say it slows you down all you want but my safety is always off before I'm up on target....I don't own any cargo pants....or a 1911 but I would like to add one to the collection...self admittedly I'm more of a rifle guy....

UglyViking

Reaction score
From my own personal experience my Taurus pistols (I have 2) have been very very reliable. I have 1000's of rounds through my Taurus 45 and very few issues. But, I did have a Kimber 45 for a few short months and found that to be one of the worst handguns I ever used. Constant jamming issues and failure to feed. Again, this is only my personal experience with 2 similar pistols by 2 very different manufacturers.
Personal experience is fine, and if it's working for you and you enjoy it, then by all means. That said, I've never seen anyone who really knows their **** use a Taurus. I've spent too many hours reading, listening, and watching former SF, Tier 1, and high functioning SWAT (among others around the world) and I've yet to see a Taurus. I'm sure there is some group out there somewhere that will prove me wrong, but my point is that guys who are 100% top of the food chain when it comes to weapon combatives and have both the funds and the capability to pick whatever they want, well none choose Taurus.

I referenced the service to mention I'm not just some call of duty kid...I'll agree with some of the worst shooters comment....that pic you posted and some other incidents is why my pistols have slide/thumb safeties....say it slows you down all you want but my safety is always off before I'm up on target....I don't own any cargo pants....or a 1911 but I would like to add one to the collection...self admittedly I'm more of a rifle guy....
I've never served, I grew up playing COD. I'm nowhere near the level of proficiency of guys in CAG, DEVGRU, etc. and I never will be, but I can tell you with confidence that I can out handle and outshoot a lot of ex-military. Being in the military gives you a minimum bar, but it's pretty low. Here is an extremely cherry picked photo of a Army Major General shooting a pistol during qual (image). You probably know the image before even clicking the link, it went around the web a few years back to many laughs. All that said, I reference that to show the low bar.

Additionally, the "all my pistols have slide/thumb safeties" comment is not something I'd expect to hear from a proficient shooter. I'm all about using weapon safeties, don't get me wrong, but if that is a requirement for all your pistols, it says to me that you don't have a high degree of training, or you have a very old school mentality on pistols. Fine either way, not attempting to call you out, we are all at different phases of our shooting journey. That said, you're giving a lot of push back and painting quite the picture.

There are a million ways to carry a pistol, but there are definitely better ways and better holsters than others. I think that is what started the entire convo. You pushed back when someone said the holster/gun setup should be changed if they aren't comfortable.

I'm also realizing as I'm typing this out that I've somehow accidentally made this into a dick measuring contest, which isn't my intent. So I will leave it at that unless there is something else to discuss. Please feel free to have the last word if you would like. As I said before, I'm not attempting to criticize, mostly just providing my own POV on the matter. Hopefully it's not taken overly harsh :)

Bro, I would love a nighthawk in 9mm. I've shot a few 1911/2011 race guns and the things are tac drivers so long as you don't get any sand into them, feed them the wrong ammo, or look at them wrong. Nothing wrong with a high end 1911 so long as it's not a daily carry, exception being OWB for showing off during BBQs…

IndyRamMega

Reaction score
Personal experience is fine, and if it's working for you and you enjoy it, then by all means. That said, I've never seen anyone who really knows their **** use a Taurus. I've spent too many hours reading, listening, and watching former SF, Tier 1, and high functioning SWAT (among others around the world) and I've yet to see a Taurus. I'm sure there is some group out there somewhere that will prove me wrong, but my point is that guys who are 100% top of the food chain when it comes to weapon combatives and have both the funds and the capability to pick whatever they want, well none choose Taurus.

I've never served, I grew up playing COD. I'm nowhere near the level of proficiency of guys in CAG, DEVGRU, etc. and I never will be, but I can tell you with confidence that I can out handle and outshoot a lot of ex-military. Being in the military gives you a minimum bar, but it's pretty low. Here is an extremely cherry picked photo of a Army Major General shooting a pistol during qual (image). You probably know the image before even clicking the link, it went around the web a few years back to many laughs. All that said, I reference that to show the low bar.

Additionally, the "all my pistols have slide/thumb safeties" comment is not something I'd expect to hear from a proficient shooter. I'm all about using weapon safeties, don't get me wrong, but if that is a requirement for all your pistols, it says to me that you don't have a high degree of training, or you have a very old school mentality on pistols. Fine either way, not attempting to call you out, we are all at different phases of our shooting journey. That said, you're giving a lot of push back and painting quite the picture.

There are a million ways to carry a pistol, but there are definitely better ways and better holsters than others. I think that is what started the entire convo. You pushed back when someone said the holster/gun setup should be changed if they aren't comfortable.

I'm also realizing as I'm typing this out that I've somehow accidentally made this into a dick measuring contest, which isn't my intent. So I will leave it at that unless there is something else to discuss. Please feel free to have the last word if you would like. As I said before, I'm not attempting to criticize, mostly just providing my own POV on the matter. Hopefully it's not taken overly harsh :)

Bro, I would love a nighthawk in 9mm. I've shot a few 1911/2011 race guns and the things are tac drivers so long as you don't get any sand into them, feed them the wrong ammo, or look at them wrong. Nothing wrong with a high end 1911 so long as it's not a daily carry, exception being OWB for showing off during BBQs…
So if your gun has a safety you're not a proficient shooter.....got it....

jetrinka

Reaction score
Holy smokes so much “mine is bigger”…….

Can we who carry just all agree on a few points?

1: When carrying, regardless of if on ones person or in/on a vehicle the weapon should be secured in a holster which both retains the weapon and covers the trigger.

2: Said holster should be secured to the person or mounted to the vehicle in a way that it won’t fly off in the event of a crash or other unforeseen circumstance. (No freaking magnets…)

3: Whatever one chooses to carry (anything is better than a large stick) they should be prepared and trained in its retrieval and use. This includes both use of the weapon and knowledge of legal issues surrounding its carry/use.

4: One additional thing I would add is the addition of first aid and the carry of at least one tourniquet.

The condensed version of how to safely carry in a vehicle…

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score

I love me some call of duty and I was Airborne Infantry. Haha!

Agreed, a safety doesn't slow you down. It's a training issue. I never said otherwise though.

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
Me too! I was just making a joke. My bother carries a Nighthawk (or it might be a Wilson Combat) as his EDC.

I don't care what you shoot. Just be proficient with it and safe.

Last edited:

AnthonyD1978

Reaction score
4: One additional thing I would add is the addition of first aid and the carry of at least one tourniquet.
YES! Be prepared to make holes and plug holes.
I have a stop the bleed kit I put together that stays in my rambox. I also have another kit that stays on my plate carrier. I have a standalone TQ that stays on my gun belt.

McHenry2500

Reaction score
Me too! I was just making a joke. My bother carries a Nighthawk (or it might be a Wilson Combat) as his EDC.
My "travel carry" is my 1911. Alot of states limit magazine capacity to 10 rounds and it's my only pistol (besides revolvers) that fits the bill.

I do prefer my pistol have a safety mechanism of some kind, but more and more new models no longer have it. When I purchased my M&P I had to specifically order a model with thumb safety.

I keep a standard emergency first aid kit in my truck at all times. I also picked up a bunch of the small "trauma kits" from a military surplus shop and keep those in my range bags, SXS, tractor, etc. I even took a first aid/emergency response course offered through my employer a few years ago. Honestly, I'm surprised more folks at the gun matches I go to don't have any kind of first aid equipment or training.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread