Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GMC guy thinking of new 3500 SRW

jpaeth

Reaction score
RAM is miles ahead of GM these days. The interiors absolutely blow everything else out there out of the water. It's a change you wouldn't regret.

powerhaulic

Reaction score
Dealer where we are now has a Limited Mega cab dually coming this week, has offered to let me try it.
it has the air rear which is of the items I am very interested in.

D

Deleted member 80

The Cummins will not have the "zippy" feel that you are used to with the duramax. It will feel lazy to you. It's a slow turning work engine, and you'll have to retune yourself, but nothing pulls the way a Cummins pulls.

BTW, is your Denali a dually longbox? If so, what is the payload on the door?

powerhaulic

Reaction score
no not a dually, I have a 2500 air bagged short bed.
Want a 3500 HO Asin, thinking Larame sport in bright blue.

ghaynes754

Reaction score
I've always been GM until now. GM HD units are still not being built. 2500 general dealer orders just started and 3500 are not available for dealers to order. So I looked at Ford, Ram, and current GMC. Drove them all. The new Ram's kicked butt. I ordered a 3500 Long Horn on March 30.

I drove a 2019 3500 Longhorn Mega Cab HO this past weekend. Ride was smooth. Ultra quiet inside. Interior puts Denali to shame. 12" screen is amazing. Ability to remotely adjust the convex mirrors and the regular mirrors.

New GMC's have the multi-function tailgate. But other than that I couldn't see an upside.

jpaeth

Reaction score
The Cummins will not have the "zippy" feel that you are used to with the duramax. It will feel lazy to you. It's a slow turning work engine, and you'll have to retune yourself, but nothing pulls the way a Cummins pulls.
Can't emphasize this enough. The way the I-6 produces torque is much better suited for towing than the V-8 winders. I can't wait to have 1,000lb-ft at my disposal at 1,800rpm

powerhaulic

Reaction score
Can't emphasize this enough. The way the I-6 produces torque is much better suited for towing than the V-8 winders. I can't wait to have 1,000lb-ft at my disposal at 1,800rpm
i understand what you're saying, but I do have a Banks Derringer and my truck makes 1010ftlb at 1800 as well.
L5P pulls great

powerhaulic

Reaction score
I've always been GM until now. GM HD units are still not being built. 2500 general dealer orders just started and 3500 are not available for dealers to order. So I looked at Ford, Ram, and current GMC. Drove them all. The new Ram's kicked butt. I ordered a 3500 Long Horn on March 30.

I drove a 2019 3500 Longhorn Mega Cab HO this past weekend. Ride was smooth. Ultra quiet inside. Interior puts Denali to shame. 12" screen is amazing. Ability to remotely adjust the convex mirrors and the regular mirrors.

New GMC's have the multi-function tailgate. But other than that I couldn't see an upside.
The camera system GM is talking about interests me very much, tailgate is nice too.
I looked at a limited 1500 to see the interior, very impressive.
Will be driving a mega cab dually Limited soon, looking forward to it.
If I decide to go Ram, I'm thinking Loaded up sport.
I went to Ford dealer as well, not impressed at all.

jpaeth

Reaction score
i understand what you're saying, but I do have a Banks Derringer and my truck makes 1010ftlb at 1800 as well.
L5P pulls great
Yeah well imagine what you could do to the Cummins with a tune... or just get that tuned performance out of the gate WITH a 100k mile warranty... just sayin... we will convert you yet!!

D

Deleted member 80

L5P pulls great
Not being a wise-guy at all, but I predict you will be disappointed. The power delivery is too different, and the truck is heavier.

Very interested in your feedback.

DevilDodge

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome. I just gave my 99 V10 a rest. Great truck, miss driving it already.

Glad to see you are contemplating switching to RAM.

Thanks for joining us

hutchman

Staff member
Reaction score
Year's ago, I wouldn't drive anything but a GM product. I bought my first ZRam in 2012 and have driven them since. It was the Cummins that brought me here and the build quality that kept me here. I know you will hear that s Ram is a Cummins wrapped in a piece of scrap, but they ain't your grandpa's Dodge. They hit it out of the park with the new interior. My opinion is they are as good as GM and Ford overall and better in some areas.

I hope you find one you like and stay with us!

bobohio

Reaction score
I have had a couple Rams in the past, '95 V10 std cab, and an '01 V10 club cab sport.
Currently in an '18 Denali Duramax, and towing a 41' Montana fiver.
Go for it...you won't be sorry!!!

powerhaulic

Reaction score
Dealer called Monday morning to tell me the megacab limited dually showed up, I said I'd be there tuesday to try it out.
Monday afternoon he called me back to tell me not to bother coming, truck was sold already.........

jpaeth

Reaction score
Dealer called Monday morning to tell me the megacab limited dually showed up, I said I'd be there tuesday to try it out.
Monday afternoon he called me back to tell me not to bother coming, truck was sold already.........
That was my experience early on as well. I decided if I was going to get the truck I wanted it would have to be a special order. The trucks are moving fast when they hit the lots... for good reason

powerhaulic

Reaction score
Ordered a 2020 GMC AT4, drove several Rams.
Really like the dash on the Ram, very nice layout and size.
Wife was with on the first Ram ride, first comment she made after complimenting the interior was why does it vibrate so much?
Duramax really is much smoother.

D

Deleted member 80

Yup, the Cummins is still a work motor(thank goodness), even though they are trying to dumb it down.

jpaeth

Reaction score
Ordered a 2020 GMC AT4, drove several Rams.
Really like the dash on the Ram, very nice layout and size.
Wife was with on the first Ram ride, first comment she made after complimenting the interior was why does it vibrate so much?
Duramax really is much smoother.
When and how was it vibrating? The straight 6 is a naturally balanced engine and I was really focusing hard when driving this morning to see if i felt any vibration and I just couldn't. I mean it shakes like a banshee when its starting.. but that's all I have noticed. Never driven a Duramax much so I can't compare.

powerhaulic

Reaction score
The vibration was no bad to me, but the wife mentioned that ours was much smoother
took delivery August 29th, very pleased
3500 short single wheel
Installed 295/65-20 Michelin Defenders
20190919_145416.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread