Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Genomer Night Build

jpidgie

Reaction score
Nice ride! very tastefully done.
I'm considering the same a-pillar lights for hunting trips, with a quick-disconnect harness so I can remove them when I dont need them.

.genomer

Reaction score
also about this close to getting the BD amber fog kit... how do you like them?

Thanks! The amber fog kit is amazing. If I felt there was anything I could pick at to change, it'd be the light intensity. The fogs will overtake any of your lighting within Zone 1, or close range wide cornering zone. I spend almost all of my time on pavement, so in retrospect I should have opted for the SAE amber lights. Drivers in front of me adjust their mirrors far too often. But hunting or offroading would benefit best from the Sport ambers.

jpidgie

Reaction score
Great insight. Thanks!
I actually pinged CJC about replacing the sport version with the Pro's. they said they were a little intense for street driving :)

.genomer

Reaction score
Finished the skid plate today. As mentioned in another thread, its intended purpose mimics the plastic OEM valence in protecting the lower intake area of the intercooler. The paint that protects the skid is rated at 600 °F. It also sits 1 inch higher and holds an aesthetic improvement.

20200615_132449.jpg

I managed to mount it to frame rail brackets. Although drilling was required at this point, there was no frame drilling or modification.
20200615_132350.jpg

The OEM license plate frame mounts without modification as well.
20200615_132223.jpg

Very pleased with the turn out. This idea piggy backed off of CJC Off Road's shop truck. The garage build of this project cost $150 in materials and maybe 3 days of work.

jpidgie

Reaction score
Looks Great!
So this was something that you made from scratch? are those bends, or are they pieces welded together?
Funny that you mentioned Cole's truck at CJC... I've been chatting with him about a number of things, and was just about to ask him where he got it because I want one for mine.

.genomer

Reaction score
Looks Great!
So this was something that you made from scratch? are those bends, or are they pieces welded together?
Funny that you mentioned Cole's truck at CJC... I've been chatting with him about a number of things, and was just about to ask him where he got it because I want one for mine.

They had the shop one custom fabricated. Cole alluded to the idea that they will be making their plate for sale sometime in the future.
Screenshot_20200524-115505_YouTube.jpg

Mine was made completely out of my garage. It took a few tools, but I had most of them:
Router
Angle metal cutter
Jigsaw
Brazing torch

Below is the process I pushed through to achieve the desired look that made me happy. If CJC has theirs go into production, I'm sure a ton of people would rather buy one.

Made a template, then bought aluminium on Ebay. 1/4" is heavy duty, but 1/8" is sufficient to get the job done.
20200604_230303.jpg
20200607_143227.jpg

Measure cut measure cut. Aligned angles and routed vents.
20200608_175600.jpg

Bending took some grinding because of how thick the aluminium was. Outsourcing to someone with a metal brake would have been better than the lengthy process of making half cuts and hand bending.
20200609_135810.jpg

Brazing sucks, but youtube helped on this one. A welder would be ideal, however blow torch soldering is my poor man's method. Then comes sanding.
20200610_201300.jpg
20200611_152922.jpg
Jacked up under the truck and measured out custom brackets.
20200611_154253.jpg

Went on amazon and found rubber border trim in 6' length. It covers unsightly or rough edges.
20200613_151225.jpg

Drill holes, sand it all down, ready for high heat paint. And final fitment!
20200615_132528.jpg

.genomer

Reaction score
Looks like a lot of work! I think I might wait for either you or CJC to sell one :)

Thanks for the pics of the progression!
Bahaha, true that. I won't be selling anything, I dont wanna mess with their business or lose a finger. Tools always worry me.

Burn'n Oil

It's a metaphor!
Reaction score
They had the shop one custom fabricated. Cole alluded to the idea that they will be making their plate for sale sometime in the future.

Mine was made completely out of my garage. It took a few tools, but I had most of them:
Nice job! I like it. BTW... your BBQ has a flat tire... ;)

John Jensen

Reaction score
I installed the Baja Designs OnX6+, 20" LED, 4480301 on my 2020 3500.
The brackets are heavy-duty stainless steel and fit perfectly.
When I called BD to get a price on just the brackets they quoted me 99.95.
By the way, I'm very satisfied with the BD light output and coverage.

.genomer

Reaction score
Well the latest update involves a 3rd brake light that I've been waiting on for months. Evil Manufacturing is a small aftermarket truck machining company. I don't know what they specialize in, because it's not Ram parts. However, an alternatively suggested brake light housing comes from GJ Motorsports and they may be a bit more recommended.

After quite a bit of modification to the Baja Design light housing, here is the brake light with two S2 amber work lights.
20200724_125743.jpg

Back side with rubber gasket and exposed wiring.
20200724_125758.jpg

Installed via the two tapped screws. Biggest question answered, do advertised 2014-2018 only products work for our newer models? Yes, the cab (and brake light mount) is identical.
20200802_200450.jpg

The outer/upper LEDs are extremely bright stop lamps. No real modification here, just tapped into the preexisting connector. (Better picture later)
20200802_194539.jpg

The outer/lower lamps are for bed illumination. They work just as well, if not better than the stock bed lights. This feature works like stock as well. Unlock and open doors, press the headlight dial button or push the bed light switch... they all function as intended. Here they are in action in a dawn setting. Couldn't beat the sun this AM, but it goes to show the LED light throw to the bed.20200802_054418.jpg

The next steps involve integrating my bed camera somehow and hooking up the S2 work lamps to Aux #6 through the interior gray connector that has been in and out of conversations.

These work lamps will suit me well for dusk boat retrieval, wooded area backing at night and campsite illumination. I apologize for not having this write up all ready now, but its been over a month of straight 100°F weather here in Sacramento and I've got a newborn. I'll get a video demonstration or some pics up as soon as this thing's all wired. Here's just a crappy 13 second rendition of what I could get in the brightest sun of the day.

Edit: This project kinda fizzled on me. Took a bit of modification to parts that should have been ready from the start, backed off adding my cargo camera for the moment and the Baja Design Work/Scene lights could have been brighter.. I got the job done, though I really wanted my cargo camera. I'll sit on it for a while and see if that camera is even worth my while. I never use the damn thing, but keeping all stock functions is the continued intent of this build.

Here are the work lights. I think the cargo LEDs are brighter, but this works great for ambient lighting up to 40 feet away.
20200809_061011.jpg
20200809_060713.jpg

Last edited:

TDoT

Reaction score
For the fog lights, did you get a different black plastic molding to fit the 2X2 lights?

jpidgie

Reaction score
@TDoT - Yes, the trim around the fogs is different. It is a kit that CJC Offroad offers consisting of a Baja Designs fog/driving light, mounting bracket and a new trim piece. There are two styles, one for the Limited / Laramie models, and another for the other trim levels. I've got the same kit as @.genomer, and love it..

here is a link to the kits: CJC Offroad

jpidgie

Reaction score
Well the latest update involves a 3rd brake light that I've been waiting on for months. Evil Manufacturing is a small aftermarket truck machining company. I don't know what they specialize in, because it's not Ram parts. However, an alternatively suggested brake light housing comes from GJ Motorsports and they may be a bit more recommended.

After quite a bit of modification to the Baja Design light housing, here is the brake light with two S2 amber work lights.
View attachment 6226

Back side with rubber gasket and exposed wiring.
View attachment 6227

Installed via the two tapped screws. Biggest question answered, do advertised 2014-2018 only products work for our newer models? Yes, the cab (and brake light mount) is identical.
View attachment 6231

The outer/upper LEDs are extremely bright stop lamps. No real modification here, just tapped into the preexisting connector. (Better picture later)
View attachment 6228

The outer/lower lamps are for bed illumination. They work just as well, if not better than the stock bed lights. This feature works like stock as well. Unlock and open doors, press the headlight dial button or push the bed light switch... they all function as intended. Here they are in action in a dawn setting. Couldn't beat the sun this AM, but it goes to show the LED light throw to the bed.View attachment 6232

The next steps involve integrating my bed camera somehow and hooking up the S2 work lamps to Aux #6 through the interior gray connector that has been in and out of conversations.

These work lamps will suit me well for dusk boat retrieval, wooded area backing at night and campsite illumination. I apologize for not having this write up all ready now, but its been over a month of straight 100°F weather here in Sacramento and I've got a newborn. I'll get a video demonstration or some pics up as soon as this thing's all wired. Here's just a crappy 13 second rendition of what I could get in the brightest sun of the day.

Edit: This project kinda fizzled on me. Took a bit of modification to parts that should have been ready from the start, backed off adding my cargo camera for the moment and the Baja Design Work/Scene lights could have been brighter.. I got the job done, though I really wanted my cargo camera. I'll sit on it for a while and see if that camera is even worth my while. I never use the damn thing, but keeping all stock functions is the continued intent of this build.

Here are the work lights. I think the cargo LEDs are brighter, but this works great for ambient lighting up to 40 feet away.
View attachment 6403
View attachment 6404
Gosh... I would love to have those to adjust some tailgater attitudes :)

Rich

Banned Member
Reaction score
Nice taste, love that all painted sport pkg. I'd like a picture of ours side by side. What did you do for your 3rd light bed cam.

Users who are viewing this thread