Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel gelling?

Warweasel

Reaction score
Howdy...I was wondering if anyone knows about diesel fuel in Texas. Someone mentioned fuel gelling to me with this recent cold weather. I have had the truck plugged in since before it froze and haven't run it. With my 2012 and 2016 Cummins and living in Kansas at the time, I never had an issue. Is Texas diesel different in the winter? Thanks!

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
that's why I run an additive. I'm not sure how much "winter" blend they keep here in texas lol

whitexc

Reaction score
Additive is cheap insurance. That said I am a NY'er and haven't put anything in my 2nd gen in years and it starts and runs just fine. We likely have more of a winter blend/supply than you Texans though.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

parsonj

Reaction score
Howdy...I was wondering if anyone knows about diesel fuel in Texas. Someone mentioned fuel gelling to me with this recent cold weather. I have had the truck plugged in since before it froze and haven't run it. With my 2012 and 2016 Cummins and living in Kansas at the time, I never had an issue. Is Texas diesel different in the winter? Thanks!
I've been fighting this the past few days with low temps -2 to low teens here in DFW. Had my '17 parked on slight incline with front end up. This truck came off the lot without a block heater. My first CTD without one. I will NEVER do that again. On that -2 morning I didn't think it was going to be able to pull the fuel up. I could only get it to run for a second or two. Thought for sure I had a gel problem. Batteries gave up. After a couple hours with the sun shine (still 8 degrees) and a jump start finally got it to stay running with a lot of sputtering--but it finally smoothed out. Went to my ranch and got the additive and parked in the drive with the front down hill. No problem since. Pretty sure I need new batteries, though.

parsonj

Reaction score
The heater is installed, all CTDs come with them. You just need the cable from it to your bumper / extension cord.
Thanks Ostracize! I could have saved myself a lot of grief with a little research:mad: The Ram Build website shows the actual heater plus the cord as the option so I thought there would be a lot more to installing it after built. That must be for the Hemi's?

Epsilon Plus

Reaction score

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I've been fighting this the past few days with low temps -2 to low teens here in DFW. Had my '17 parked on slight incline with front end up. This truck came off the lot without a block heater. My first CTD without one. I will NEVER do that again. On that -2 morning I didn't think it was going to be able to pull the fuel up. I could only get it to run for a second or two. Thought for sure I had a gel problem. Batteries gave up. After a couple hours with the sun shine (still 8 degrees) and a jump start finally got it to stay running with a lot of sputtering--but it finally smoothed out. Went to my ranch and got the additive and parked in the drive with the front down hill. No problem since. Pretty sure I need new batteries, though.
They dont pull the fuel the tank has a lift pump that pushes the fuel lol the direction you park does not matter

parsonj

Reaction score
They dont pull the fuel the tank has a lift pump that pushes the fuel lol the direction you park does not matter
Glad I gave you an lol. A pump still has to move temperature thickened fuel. I believe that an incline increases the effort--gravity is an undeniable force on the planet that I live on.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
Glad I gave you an lol. A pump still has to move temperature thickened fuel. I believe that an incline increases the effort--gravity is an undeniable force on the planet that I live on.
An incline does not make a difference your talking gravity as if your pushing fuel hundreds of feet up... either the fuel will flow or it wont seeing as you got it started then fuel was not thickened or gelled as it would have stayed that way...

Users who are viewing this thread