Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Fuel Filter life monitor - 2021, 2500

tnpete

Reaction score
Biggest reason is, that filter will stop flow. When its taken in enough water. Its not letting anything flow. Use these on our Farm fuel tanks. 20 Gallon per minute pumps. Come to a halt when these filters fill with water. But thats a good thing to me. Stations don't want or have anyone to change the filters. But agree every station should have to filter there fuel.

Greenhills

Reaction score
I wouldn't even worry about hitting 0% on the fuel filter. Last time I changed them they were absolutely spotless. Looked the same as the new unit next to it.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
is draining the frame filter through the petcock and re-priming the filter a remedy for this?

Water will be on the bottom (diesel is lighter) so draining the water and doing a few key cycles should clear it.

That said, I'd be concerned about how much water is in that tank of fuel if the WIF lights up.

jeffn

Reaction score
Water will be on the bottom (diesel is lighter) so draining the water and doing a few key cycles should clear it.

That said, I'd be concerned about how much water is in that tank of fuel if the WIF lights up.
agree but it could be the difference between making a roadside repair in a safe location vs where you have to stop. The older I get the more spooked I am about being stuck on a shoulder of an interstate.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
agree but it could be the difference between making a roadside repair in a safe location vs where you have to stop. The older I get the more spooked I am about being stuck on a shoulder of an interstate.

Roger that.

Can't say it would help, but I carry spare filters with me at all times and have the low profile filter socket as well so it makes me feel good. And feels are what's most important. LOL

jeffn

Reaction score
carrying extra filter and a 28mm socket is a good tip. At least the frame filter.

senecagreen

Reaction score
So how hard is it to change the filters and what is a reasonable charge at the dealer? the dealer I asked said $150 for one filter and $170 to change the other. That sounded high.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
So how hard is it to change the filters and what is a reasonable charge at the dealer? the dealer I asked said $150 for one filter and $170 to change the other. That sounded high.
Takes me 15 mins to change both filters not Rushing so the dealer is screwing you…. Carry a 1/2” drive universal, 8” 1/2” drive extension, 1/2” drive ratchet and a 28mm 1/2” drive socket… you can do both filters really easy

Nick

Reaction score
They will rip you off on the fuel filter change . Just go on U tube and a couple of good videos on the procedure.
Go online to get your filters . Just make sure you buy Mopar , Fleetguard , Fix or Napa Gold .It's not hard just messy . Just take your time .

red

Reaction score
They will rip you off on the fuel filter change . Just go on U tube and a couple of good videos on the procedure.
Go online to get your filters . Just make sure you buy Mopar , Fleetguard , Fix or Napa Gold .It's not hard just messy . Just take your time .
Messy is an understatement. Seems like you can have the drain valves opens for hours but the diesel never fully drains, but the money you save doing it yourself outweighs the mess you have to clean up.

elephantrider

Hydraulic Lifter Crew
Reaction score
the rear filter blows chunks to change. messy as hell. the engine side is pretty standard.

Nick

Reaction score
The front one will drain down more if you take of the lid . The rear is a different story . The petcock will drain but not enough to keep u from having diesel deodorant . I took a piece of heavy plastic kinda funneled it around 3/4 of the housing and taped it . Make sure the plastic is long enough to go over the drive shaft ( since the ever thoughtful engineers decided to have it drain right on the shaft ) then into whatever and no mess on the shaft .

red

Reaction score
I'll try putting a heavy plastic bag around the rear filter housing the next time I change it. Hopefully most of the fuel goes into the bag.

flan

Reaction score
Have you guys tried opening the drain valve on the rear filter housing then loosening it a half a turn or so to break vacuum? Seemed to work ok for me last time. Nowhere near as much as the housing holds was left behind.

red

Reaction score
Have you guys tried opening the drain valve on the rear filter housing then loosening it a half a turn or so to break vacuum? Seemed to work ok for me last time. Nowhere near as much as the housing holds was left behind.
Yes, tried that but still had fuel everywhere once the housing was removed.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
The biggest thing that helps the most if have a low tank of fuel all the brands do it with rear filters its just the way she goes but haveing low fuel helps in my experience

cj8rockcrawler

Reaction score
It only takes having a problem once to make it worth it to you to carry spare filters. I've always carried spare fuel filters in my Diesel vehicles and never had an issue... until I did.

We bought a used Duramax powered Super C a few years ago and on a trip up to northern Minnesota without warning it it threw a check engine code for low fuel pressure and went into limp mode. We had just purchased it, so I hadn't completely outfitted it with filters etc. Thankfully we were just pulling into a town and were able to find a filter and be on our way. There were some extenuating circumstances with it being a lightly used, used vehicle, but the point is that I will continue to be prepared and travel with filters and other items for minor roadside issues.

fuchsroehre

Reaction score
I will not carry spare fuel filters or tools. I bet 99.9% of people driving Diesel will not do so either. We never had spare Diesel filters on the commercial trucks.
The only time we carried several Fuel filter and tools in the trunk was in our Golf 2 Diesel and we ran it on 50% Diesel and 50% old engine oil.
We visited repair shops in our neighborhood and collected old oil. The we filtered that oil but of course you never get it super clean, at some point the Diesel filter was clogged and the car would run only 30mph at full pedal.

Users who are viewing this thread