Ram Heavy Duty Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ft/Lbs for Lugnuts on a 2020 Ram Factory Wheel?

GBB

Reaction score
Anyone have their truck into dealer for lug nut torque specs? Seems like BS to have to take truck in for this..don’t know why they can’t just tell you.

MikeXM

Reaction score
Anyone have their truck into dealer for lug nut torque specs? Seems like BS to have to take truck in for this..don’t know why they can’t just tell you.
I've come to think this is why: Probably because they want to see them to check the studs and change if required. Before we do anything ourselves, because you know, liability, probably. Just a guess.

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Reaction score
That chart is wrong. Foot-pound is a measurement of work (force over a particular distance).

Pound-feet is an accurate measurement of torque which is a force acting on a lever.

While pedantically correct - ft-lb is energy, lb-ft is torque - in practice, all the torque charts use ft-lb or ft/lbs.

CdnHO

Reaction score
I downloaded a copy of the Owners Manual today and noticed a change in the torque spec for dually lug nuts. Originally it was 140 ft/lbs. NOW 129 ft/lbs. The paper manual in the truck that I took delivery off in April shows 140 as well. Not sure if FCA will provide new manuals or issue a one page addendum.

Attachments

• Wheel nut torque REVISED.pdf
    148.3 KB · Views: 27

MikeXM

Reaction score
I downloaded a copy of the Owners Manual today and noticed a change in the torque spec for dually lug nuts. Originally it was 140 ft/lbs. NOW 129 ft/lbs. The paper manual in the truck that I took delivery off in April shows 140 as well. Not sure if FCA will provide new manuals or issue a one page addendum.
Finally... Thank you!

RamCares

RamCares Team
Reaction score
Should still be the correct specs for 2500s. I torque mine to 135 ftlb.

I believe the recall is specifically for dually trucks.
Hi GBB and AnthonyD1978,
We can help by providing that information!

OLD/INCORRECT Torque - Was either specified singularly (newer D2's) or as a range (DD/DP's or old D2's)
Singular: 190 N-m / 130 ft-lbs
Range: 190-220 N-m / 130-160 ft-lbs

NEW Torque - 175 N-m / 129 ft-lbs (one singular torque only)

Rob
Ram Cares

SmokeShowJoe

Reaction score

RV_Goose... I have never heard of a "Tq socket" I think you mean a "Tq. Stick" My set of 5 go from 70 to 170 Ft.Lbs.​

And NEVER use a Tq. Stick to Remove a lug nut... They are designed to only tighten. Most tire shops use them, as they are very close to specs if care for properly.

RV_Goose

Reaction score

RV_Goose... I have never heard of a "Tq socket" I think you mean a "Tq. Stick" My set of 5 go from 70 to 170 Ft.Lbs.​

And NEVER use a Tq. Stick to Remove a lug nut... They are designed to only tighten. Most tire shops use them, as they are very close to specs if care for properly.
All I know is that something is between the air impact and the lugnuts that only allow so much torque. Or I've been lied too, again.

SmokeShowJoe

Reaction score
Morning Goose, You are right in what you were saying... however they are called Tq. Sticks. Looks just like a 8" extension bar except the middle of the bar's thickness is determined by by the Tq. output of that stick. A 70 Lb. Tq. Stick is much thinner (In the middle) than say a 130 Lb. Stick. As well as the fact they are color coded for easy identification in the shop. As I said before... If you were to use a Tq. Stick to REMOVE a lug nut you would for the most part ruin it, and of course the accuracy would be off. The inaccuracy of the stick comes only from misuse, and that is my point. Again if used as designed with a quality tool (Snap On, Matco ect.) using a Tq. Stick on lug nuts to set Tq. is acceptable and safe. So no, you have not been lied too. You just were not given the whole story.

Electronut

Reaction score
I want to resurrect this thread.

Why does Thuren state 140 ft lbs. for spec when Ram states 130 ft lbs. for cone lugs applicable to 2500's?

Suspension components have no bearing in the wheel torque right? Reason I ask is because I added a Thuren leveling kit and rather than asking Chris/Thuren this question why they state 140 ft lbs. thought I would get opinions here.

H3LZSN1P3R

You're doing it wrong
Reaction score
I want to resurrect this thread.

Why does Thuren state 140 ft lbs. for spec when Ram states 130 ft lbs. for cone lugs applicable to 2500's?

Suspension components have no bearing in the wheel torque right? Reason I ask is because I added a Thuren leveling kit and rather than asking Chris/Thuren this question why they state 140 ft lbs. thought I would get opinions here.
Likely what specs they got off a cheap chart my old charts said the same 140 when ram states 130. Go with rams specs not that 10ft/lbs makes much of a difference anyway

Users who are viewing this thread